Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see this posted anywhere yet. If I missed it sorry for the repeat notice. I was at my local stealership earlier and was told that my 2015 RGS had a recall that came out today for a clutch issue. I reprinted the notice that I just looked up below. My dealer said they weren't sure what was up yet and to hold off on leaving the bike. However, the write up looks pretty clear on the issue and correction and looks suspiciously similar to the clutch recall last Sept (?) for the '14 SG and some '15 Softtails. WTF. I would have thought that the new RGS would have automatically been reworked once they got to the dealer since they are built on basically the same frame and components as the '14 SG.

RECALL NOTICE:
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 15V-216Recall Date APR 14, 2015
Last UpdatedApr 14, 2015
Harley-Davidson has learned that the hydraulic clutch system equipped with master cylinder part numbers 36700056 and 36700049 on certain model year 2014 and 2015 Touring model motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which it may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch after being parked for an extended period.
Model
2015 Road Glide Special
Safety Risk
If this condition remains undetected it could lead to loss of control of the vehicle when started in gear or first shifted into gear after being parked for an extended period.
REMEDY
Owners of the affected motorcycles will be asked to arrange service with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, who will confirm that the motorcycle is covered by this recall. If covered, the dealer will flush the clutch system withthe recommended wash solution and rebuild the clutch master cylinder using the recall kit provided. This service will be provided at no charge to the customer.
We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I take that as we need to ride our glides more so they do not sit too long. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had the clutch serviced under warranty on my 2015 RGS for clutch failure. I believe the throw out bearings and rod were replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a little over a thousand miles I have not had any trouble with the clutch. I hope they get the repair kits in soon - I am doing the Run for the Wall and do not want my clutch going out on the way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Easy. RIDE IT! It says will only happen if it sits too long!

Aint' that why we buy bikes?? To RIDE them?? LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dealer said they aren't shipping recall kits until 4/20. That said, I made an appt for 5/11 to drop it off.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Are these recalls on the RGS only ? You would think the SGS would be the same.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm about to change out my fluids on my own for its 5000mile service and will be running REDLINE's 3-hole package. Does this recall R&R entail draining the trans fluid? And if it's drained, will the dealership replace it with the same RL shockproof that I'm going to using? And how many hours does the book say is needed for this R&R recall?

Maybe I should let them do the recall first then change out the fluids, but that'll put the odo a few more hundred miles or so past the 5000mile tic....cuz man, I'm riding this thing every day and I can't stop the odo from rolling over...and I can't stop to wait for days for an opening in the dealership's schedule. I ride at least a hundred miles a day and I'm already a coupla' hundred miles past 5000 on the odo right now:eek: btw...I've had no issues so far with the clutch:D

·
Registered
6,175 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can type your vin in on MoCo's website to see if it's needed. Recall covered bikes (can't remember all models but I didn't see the FLTRUSE listed anywhere) that were manufactured up until Oct 2014.
thanks, will do.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
According to the HD website my new 2015 CVO is not included in the recall.. will call dealer to double check.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Just checked.. Mine is on the recall list.. I'll bring it in Tuesday.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just had mine do this to me today after it sitting for a week. One thing i noticed that was a sign it was going to to it. I always start my bike in Neutral but i leave it parked in 1st gear. The bike would not let me find neutral before starting it. I must have tried for well over 5 minutes with no luck. Sure as shit when i fired it up with the clutch engaged it lurched forward a bit then i slid into neutral for me no problem. Just something to keep in mind so you can be prepared for it before it happens to you from my experience. Just my .2$ and yes i will be taking mine in to get fixed for it hopefully next week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Done today

The weather was warm, relatively, here in NE Ohio so a couple of friends and I went riding.
Stopped at the dealer and talked to the sales manager. He checked and mine was included in the recall.
He asked the service manager if they could do it while I was there. Yes. Took about an hour for the recall, test ride and updating the radio.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The weather was warm, relatively, here in NE Ohio so a couple of friends and I went riding.
Stopped at the dealer and talked to the sales manager. He checked and mine was included in the recall.
He asked the service manager if they could do it while I was there. Yes. Took about an hour for the recall, test ride and updating the radio.
good service right there!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Doing my 10,000 mile inspection and checked the clutch fluid level and YEP....I got contamination. This looks to be Alkaline cleaner contamination probably from the paint process not being completely rinsed out.

Alkaline cleaners will react with brake fluid like this and will definitely cause a caustic situation. The brake fluid is Hygroscopic meaning it's going to absorb water even in an enclosed cell and this activates the alkaline portion of the cleaner and etches/corrodes the aluminum housing.

Wow.....my college degree learnt me sumthin' after all.......:eek::D

I'd post pics, but I don't have time to go through the BS...! So I'll describe it as a muddy murky look and you can almost see the oxide influence to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts