Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got an 18 RG coming and I need to pick new bars. I ride apes, so that's a no brainer. I currently ride an old road king with 18" bars, air ride, 21" spoke front wheel. I love the way my bike sits/looks. But I hate the 80" motor, the carb, the fact that it isn't a new Glide!

My bars are perfect for me (6'4), if anything I'd go taller. I also like my bars vertical, not in line with the fork. I know the fairing will put a little kink in that but as vertical as I can go. I'm not asking you guys to pick the style, but help me understand what all is needed to change the bars? At this moment I'm thinking Carlini menace (18", 1.25). Will I need a different riser? How about wiring, cables, etc?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use the same riser but you will need wire extensions and longer hoses...
Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask about the riser is on Carlinis site it says you have to use their riser, but I?ve yet to see anyone say they had to? So I?m confused. I have an email out to them but I?d like to hear from people that have used their bars on a newer glide.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't think you'll need a new riser. Longer lines and wires, yes.

Will probably want to change the riser bushings to poly or stiffer ones since you're going so tall.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Carlini Menace bars are dope, but only come in that 1.25", which I do personally think is a huge mistake on a Shark... the 1.5" makes a MASSIVE difference, I mean literally night and day, to the look of the bike as a whole and etc. I think some of the cleanest bars on the market right now are the Factory 47's, the make a Signature bar for the 2015+ RG's, which I know goes to a 16" for sure and I THINK an 18" as well, and it is a BAD ass looking bar go check them out.

Dont have to change the risers like everybody says but definitely cables and etc. Also if they do not make an 18" Signature they do have the Maddogger bar which is an 18" rise, with a 16" hand position which looks dope as well.

Just my .02 cents - good luck!

Brit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Carlini Menace bars are dope, but only come in that 1.25", which I do personally think is a huge mistake on a Shark... the 1.5" makes a MASSIVE difference, I mean literally night and day, to the look of the bike as a whole and etc. I think some of the cleanest bars on the market right now are the Factory 47's, the make a Signature bar for the 2015+ RG's, which I know goes to a 16" for sure and I THINK an 18" as well, and it is a BAD ass looking bar go check them out.

Dont have to change the risers like everybody says but definitely cables and etc. Also if they do not make an 18" Signature they do have the Maddogger bar which is an 18" rise, with a 16" hand position which looks dope as well.

Brit

I’m struggling hard with the whole thing. My tall bars on the road king look tits, I’m afraid of screwing up the look of the glide. The factory 47’s are pricey as hell too. $100 more than the carlinis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The maddoggers are sick! But it says doesn’t fit 18 glides and to make it work you have to change the riser and control clamps?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts

Brit

I’m struggling hard with the whole thing. My tall bars on the road king look tits, I’m afraid of screwing up the look of the glide. The factory 47’s are pricey as hell too. $100 more than the carlinis.

Yeah man but the 1.5" diameter over the 1.25, plus the burring and smoothing of all welds and etc of the F47's make the 100 bucks well worth it in my opinion. Dont get me wrong Carlinis are bad ass but I like them more on Road Kings and Softails and even Dynas and etc. The F47 bars are made almost exclusively for RG's and you can tell. As far as the look of the bike goes that's all opinion obviously but look around these forums and pictures and you still change your mind. Guys have the most bad ass looking sharks you've ever seen with huge tall bars on em, in my opinion it's all about the windshield/engine guard/color scheme with the bars that makes it a hit or miss

My bike is the Sedona Orange and I have the 16" blacked out Malo bars from F47 and a very small/short all black windshield, with chrome engine mods and etc and in my opinion (of course) it couldn't get any more sick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats on the new rig. As for bars, those Menace apes are sick. Best bars on the planet!

Rex @ Carlini Design will hook u up with the bars & internal wiring.

Johnny @ HDBikeparts.com will hook u up with cables, bushings & new riser clamp.

2 phone calls & you’re almost

·
Registered
383 Posts

Brit
Totally agree, 1.5" bars are the only way to go. You'll forget about that extra $100 after that first ride.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Brit
Totally agree, 1.5" bars are the only way to go. You'll forget about that extra $100 after that first ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts