Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A big shout out to Kevin Baxter and his team at Pro Twin Performance in Buford, Ga…

After a few months of deciding whether to trade my 2011 Road Glide Ultra in for a new bike or have a motor built (I had 81000 miles on the bike at the time) I decided to let Pro Twin Performance build me a motor. After a lengthy discussion with Kevin we decided on a 113 touring motor based on my riding habits and where I ride the most, which is out West where 93 octane is not readily available. So, over the phone we sealed the deal parts were ordered and a date was set.
During the build Kevin was in constant contact with pictures and explanations of what was going on. I was supposed to pick up the bike the week of April 9th since I was leaving for Texas on the 18th, but UPS decided that wasn’t going to happen. Some parts that he had received were damaged and new parts were ordered for next day delivery but that never happened and the parts weren’t delivered until the following Monday! Knowing that I was supposed to leave that Wednesday Kevin and his crew worked late into a couple of nights to get me on the road and what a job they did. I picked it up Wednesday afternoon and decided to leave the following morning.
First day on a new build, talking about being nervous, I listened to that motor like I have never done before and what a sweet sound it made… After 822 miles on that day and 4000 miles on that trip, I realized that I had made the right decision. That motor is a monster and butter smooth!

So again Thanks Kevin and your crew, you have a customer for life…..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Final result.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Super cool! What are the particulars? Compression, cams, headwork, etc?
Have a dyno sheet?
Glad it all worked out for you!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Super cool! Any particulars? Compression, cams, headwork?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Great looking! Have you dyno'd yet? What sort of wants did it fill?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super cool! Any particulars? Compression, cams, headwork?
Cams were custom grind not sure what the specs on them were. Heads were ported and polished with 1.90/1.65 valves and we went with 10:1 compression. Ended up at 115 hp and 130 torque. Welded, trued and balanced crank with .0004 run out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics... I've often thought about new engine or new bike when it comes time. You may have helped me decide....

Is the crank an HD, S&S or other?

Thanks for sharing, looks great!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Always nice to have a plan work as expected
Those first few hundred miles had to be filled with anxiety
Safe riding

Reactions: Brewiz

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
so, what was the price comparison between the choices? the out the door cost on the rebuild?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so, what was the price comparison between the choices? the out the door cost on the rebuild?
To trade my bike in, I would have gotten maybe 12,000. With the cost of a new Ultra out the door being close to 30,000 that would have been 18,000 for just the bike, then add in upgrades that I would have done myself another +3000. The build came in a lot cheaper that 21,000.
And on top of that I really don't like the new Ultra.....

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
under 21000 is a pretty vague number. wanna be a little more specific?

Reactions: freedom1974

·
Administrator
10,509 Posts
Funny you put this up , I was wondering how this all worked out today and almost fired you a text asking about it ..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
under 21000 is a pretty vague number. wanna be a little more specific?
Motor work, Heavy Duty Cylinders, boring cases with Timken conversion, new clutch, stator, voltage regulator, labor, and tune was around $10,000.

Reactions: Catfish Bluesman

·
Registered
998 Posts
Motor work, Heavy Duty Cylinders, boring cases with Timken conversion, new clutch, stator, voltage regulator, labor, and tune was around $10,000.

Did you get any warranty with that 10000 dollar ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Someone asked about a more specific number on the upgrade. Cant speak for the OP, but taking my 11 out to 110 over the winter, and basically replacing everything except the cases and chrome ran about $4500. That's new wheels, Timken conversion, studs, jugs, heads, pistons, cams, plate, pump, tappets, tapered pushrods, throttle body, injectors, and breather.

I had a budget of $5000 and managed to exceed it with a few other things I found during the tear down. But that $5000 is a good number if you do your own wrenching. And minimize what you farm out.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Congrats on finding a trustworthy shop and Congrats on your build.
You are waaay braver than me to hit the road the next day after a motor job, but I do understand timelines, especially if your taking time off work.

Just curious what your thoughts are on the rest of the 80K mile powertrain, as I expect, in 2-3yrs, to close in on 100K. And Iam not completely sold on the new motor as the TC is bulletproof now

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on finding a trustworthy shop and Congrats on your build.
You are waaay braver than me to hit the road the next day after a motor job, but I do understand timelines, especially if your taking time off work.

Just curious what your thoughts are on the rest of the 80K mile powertrain, as I expect, in 2-3yrs, to close in on 100K. And Iam not completely sold on the new motor as the TC is bulletproof now
That is something that I have to be mindful of and I know at sometime I will need to address the rest of the drive train. But that is something that I can do in my garage when the time comes.

Reactions: Catfish Bluesman

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That sounds like a drop off and pick up Price, and not too bad.

Someone asked about a more specific number on the upgrade. Cant speak for the OP, but taking my 11 out to 110 over the winter, and basically replacing everything except the cases and chrome ran about $4500. That's new wheels, Timken conversion, studs, jugs, heads, pistons, cams, plate, pump, tappets, tapered pushrods, throttle body, injectors, and breather.

I had a budget of $5000 and managed to exceed it with a few other things I found during the tear down. But that $5000 is a good number if you do your own wrenching. And minimize what you farm out.
Again, since you did most of the wrenching yourself, Both of these numbers sound reasonable for what was done. I usually figure labor the be equal to or within 20% (+ or-)of the cost for parts.

·
Registered
998 Posts
A big shout out to Kevin Baxter and his team at Pro Twin Performance in Buford, Ga…

After a few months of deciding whether to trade my 2011 Road Glide Ultra in for a new bike or have a motor built (I had 81000 miles on the bike at the time) I decided to let Pro Twin Performance build me a motor. After a lengthy discussion with Kevin we decided on a 113 touring motor based on my riding habits and where I ride the most, which is out West where 93 octane is not readily available. So, over the phone we sealed the deal parts were ordered and a date was set.
During the build Kevin was in constant contact with pictures and explanations of what was going on. I was supposed to pick up the bike the week of April 9th since I was leaving for Texas on the 18th, but UPS decided that wasn’t going to happen. Some parts that he had received were damaged and new parts were ordered for next day delivery but that never happened and the parts weren’t delivered until the following Monday! Knowing that I was supposed to leave that Wednesday Kevin and his crew worked late into a couple of nights to get me on the road and what a job they did. I picked it up Wednesday afternoon and decided to leave the following morning.
First day on a new build, talking about being nervous, I listened to that motor like I have never done before and what a sweet sound it made… After 822 miles on that day and 4000 miles on that trip, I realized that I had made the right decision. That motor is a monster and butter smooth!

So again Thanks Kevin and your crew, you have a customer for life…..
How is this motor running now ? Any problems with it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts