Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting real close to picking up one of the new Mako Shark Fade CVO's. I actually intend to ride this beauty and know the paint won't stay perfect. That said I know this paint is going to be near impossible to match so what to take steps on day1 to protect it. I am NOT an expert at this stuff.

I was thinking of getting that clear plastic film on the fairing,fender,bags; but would probably have to have someone apply it for me; think I'd just mess it up.

I also saw these nano-ceramic coatings online the other day. Looks pretty easy. https://avalonking.com/shop/armor-shield-ix-diy-kit/

What would you guys do ?

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm getting real close to picking up one of the new Mako Shark Fade CVO's. I actually intend to ride this beauty and know the paint won't stay perfect. That said I know this paint is going to be near impossible to match so what to take steps on day1 to protect it. I am NOT an expert at this stuff.

I was thinking of getting that clear plastic film on the fairing,fender,bags; but would probably have to have someone apply it for me; think I'd just mess it up.

I also saw these nano-ceramic coatings online the other day. Looks pretty easy. https://avalonking.com/shop/armor-shield-ix-diy-kit/

What would you guys do ?

Thanks

http://www.motorcycle-armor.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you want to use a coating, use one that is proven, there are a lot of them but thats not one of them.
22PLE, CarPro, Gyeon, Gtech, Pinnacle, Optimum are just some of the time and time again coatings that exceed expectations. If you have never used a coating and are interested, pm me and Ill do my best to help you.

As for the film, all the cars that I have done that had film, you could tell it had film. If that matters to you

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys . I'll take a look at these later today.

On my current bike I have the film on my bag tops only. This never bothered me, but I'm less crazy about using this on the whole fairing. That said I do have small chips on the fairing and front fender after 45k miles. Do the coatings provide any protection against chips or are they mostly a hydrophobic layer to make cleaning easier?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You either ride it, or sit around and look at it. No scooter that sees lots of road time will remain perfect. Just too much abrasive bits and pieces out there on the roads, and farr too many uncaring asshats in parking lots.

But since you don't have an issue with paying CVO premium for a scooter, why not just order up a new paint set and put it on the shelf. Ease your fears and have piece of mind.

Actually, paint work is always an issue with CVO's. On the early ones, they would sell out the replacement tin to anyone will to pay the premium. At least now you need to have a CVO to buy it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks, guys . I'll take a look at these later today.

On my current bike I have the film on my bag tops only. This never bothered me, but I'm less crazy about using this on the whole fairing. That said I do have small chips on the fairing and front fender after 45k miles. Do the coatings provide any protection against chips or are they mostly a hydrophobic layer to make cleaning easier?
Coatings don't offer chip protection. The do protect from fallout, stay cleaner longer, easier to clean.

If you want to go "Alll out", look at Feynlab coatings. Its absolutely amazing what that coating does. You would have to find an authorized installer though

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I think the Mako Blue is about the most beautiful color they ever put out. I couldn't imagine covering it with a plastic film. Ride it. Enjoy it. Shit happens.
I agree. I wouldn't put film on it. Ride it. Take care of it

·
Registered
33 Posts
A ship is safest in a harbor......but that’s not what ships are built for.....
Enjoy your ride! Any bike that has years and miles should show some wear. It’s character. I can tell you where I picked up every blemish on my bike. Like the brush on the front fender the day I hit a tumbleweed! I was just north of Campo, CA with my wife and the tumbleweed blew up like a bomb! We had a great laugh and a story to tell.
I’ve had her for 8 months and I have over 16k on her. (The bike, not the wife.). I work like hell to keep her clean but I ride!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up the bike on Saturday. They had a Street Glide there with film on the whole bike. Maybe it was the install, but I couldn't not look at where the edges met on the fairing.

You guys are probably going to flame me for this, but I bought the top coat that the dealer offered. They said it was a 3M "professional" product and comes with a 5 year warranty. I have no doubt I overpaid; but, I really wanted something on from day one. It came out looking real good; high gloss and very slick to the touch.

Now I have to get it dirty to see if this stuff works :smile:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I picked up the bike on Saturday. They had a Street Glide there with film on the whole bike. Maybe it was the install, but I couldn't not look at where the edges met on the fairing.

You guys are probably going to flame me for this, but I bought the top coat that the dealer offered. They said it was a 3M "professional" product and comes with a 5 year warranty. I have no doubt I overpaid; but, I really wanted something on from day one. It came out looking real good; high gloss and very slick to the touch.

Since you already bought it use it or sell it. My thoughts on this product have been stated before.
Use proper washing techniques from the start, electric leaf blower to dry and you will be in good shape

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

There’s a unwritten rule here on the forum, it didn’t happen without pictures. Post a picture of the new shark when you get a chance. Would love to see it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The pattern out there covers:
top of front fender,
front and tops of saddlebags,
rear of tank,
full front fairing and
headlight.

Unless you're looking for it you will not notice it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My vote is to coat it. Couple guys that I talked to on this and other forums have done it and love it. Repels dirt and water, nothing sticks to it. Not a dust magnet. Last for years on cars parked outside, no telling how long on a bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There’s a unwritten rule here on the forum, it didn’t happen without pictures. Post a picture of the new shark when you get a chance. Would love to see it.
Thanks for all the input, guys. Been busy; else I would have posted these sooner.

I really love everything about this bike. The coolest thing is that my wife, who hasn't been on the bike for 2 years wants to get on this one. Guess it had to be pretty enough for her. Anyway, now I'm going to order a Tour Pak. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
I use f-11.apply each time I clean-use bug off on windshield-45000 miles on my ride-blk and dark gray,so everything shows up-it looks awesome-ride the hell out of it and don't worry.i was looking at that color today,nice choice

1 - 20 of 31 Posts