Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I bought a 2010 rgc and was told it was a 103 - is there a way to confirm this using the vin number or some other manor (stamping on cylinders?)? Also, can the engine/trans/primary be removed as one unit? I've tried to search this forum and use google to find my answers for a few hours and have come up empty.

Please help me out - any info or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Previous owner could've put a bore kit on the 96" motor to make it a 103, but that would be a bored 96. In 2011 and up the 103" motor is a stroked 96" not the same at all. Quite possibly like I said, could be a 96 with a bore kit.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Previous owner could've put a bore kit on the 96" motor to make it a 103, but that would be a bored 96. In 2011 and up the 103" motor is a stroked 96" not the same at all. Quite possibly like I said, could be a 96 with a bore kit.
+1, a stock 2010 is 96". Aftermarket is an entirely different issue though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Actually the 96" is a stroked 88. The 103 has a 4 3/8 stroke just like the 96 only with a bigger bore.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Actually the 96" is a stroked 88. The 103 has a 4 3/8 stroke just like the 96 only with a bigger bore.
That's right my bad, was thinking the opposite when I typed this up, the Bore between 96" is 3.750 vs the 103"s 3.875 bore. Here's the bore and stroke of factory harley offered engines.

Cubic" - Bore - Stroke

88" - 3.750 - 4.000

95" - 3.875 - 4.000

96" - 3.750 - 4.375

103" - 3.875 - 4.375

110" - 4.00 - 4.375

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Pete,
Look to see if it has wires coming from the heads, running up under the tank, indicating compression releases.
If so, then it would be a 103"er.
Scott

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Pete,
Look to see if it has wires coming from the heads, running up under the tank, indicating compression releases.
If so, then it would be a 103"er.
Scott
I thought the Power Pack 103" option wasn't available until 2011 and then, only briefly. I honestly don't know if that option included auto compression releases either though... I'm not really an expert on the topic either way.

Maybe you're thinking a modded 2010? Personally, I was thinking that might be what he has.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys - you've all been a great help with info.

I'll check for the compression release tonight.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
2010 didn't come with a 103. If you have CR's that might indicate that you have upgraded heads and a 103 kit was installed.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I thought the Power Pack 103" option wasn't available until 2011 and then, only briefly. I honestly don't know if that option included auto compression releases either though... I'm not really an expert on the topic either way.

Maybe you're thinking a modded 2010? Personally, I was thinking that might be what he has.
Mines an 11 w/ power pack. It came with them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Mines an 11 w/ power pack. It came with them.
That's what I thought, was an option beginning in 2011 and thanks too for the confirmation that the PP did come with auto CRs.

ETA: I still believe the only Road Glide Custom available in 2010 came stock with 96" and only way the OP would have a 103" is because a modification of some sort got it there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2010 103

Hi guys - I bought a 2010 rgc and was told it was a 103 - is there a way to confirm this using the vin number or some other manor (stamping on cylinders?)? Also, can the engine/trans/primary be removed as one unit? I've tried to search this forum and use google to find my answers for a few hours and have come up empty.

Please help me out - any info or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
The only bikes with a 103" in 2010 were the Ultra Limited (new that year) and the police model. If yours is a 103" some one made it that way which bears a question. How and with what parts? 96"s came with no compression releases. If you have none and assuming some one bored it to 103", they most likely changed cams too. I would be doing some detective work to find out what's in your motor. The SE stage 2 kit came with SE 255 cams and the increased compression with the flat tops (9.6:1) will make for high cold cranking compression which will eventually take out your starter clutch drive. Believe me......I know first hand.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Your Road glides a96 " unless someone bored it , and there's no way to tell unless you tear it apart. If a dealer did it , it's traceable but they probably would have added an oem oil cooler like the 11s up have

I never seen a engine and trans come out together. Not saying it can't be done but why would you want to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again guys. With all the helpful info I am thinking that I have a 96. I've decived to just do the right thing and remove the primary, then motor from trans to do the swap. I'll also do a cam bearing swap while things are apart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts