Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to trade in my 07 RG for a '12 Big Blue Ultra last week. I was treated fair on my trade (they could have always give me more right LOL) and they didn't want more then MSRP on the new one. So I took delivery on thursday morning and the wife and I rode it home in the rain, nice huh! I got home and the skies cleared so I decided to wash it. As I rolled it out of the garage I noticed a clicking sound from the rear brake area. I washed it and rolled it back in the garage and the sound wasn't as bad, almost undetectable. I called the dealer anyways, spoke with my salesman and the service dept manager (whom I've known for many years) they both told me to take it out again and see if it got worse, better or ??. So back out I went, of course it was raining again! I just went about 5 miles and was back home and the sound was even worse than it was before, loud snapping, popping now. I called them again and they told me to get it back into them asap or they would come get it. (Mind you the bike now has about 50 miles on it) It was very late in the day so I told them I would ride it back to them in the morning.

The sun came up friday morning and I had a hard time wanting to make the 20+mile run to the dealer with a bad sound coming from the rear of the bike. I called them when they opened and told them that my better judgement told me to have them come get the bike. 25 minutes later there was a truck and trailer at my house to pick it up, no way he did the speed limit! They got it back and I didn't hear much until about 2 in the afternoon when the service manager called. He told me there was a spacer in the rear bearing assembly that was missing causing a miss alignment and the sound I was hearing was the bearings chewing themselves up. WOW!

The resolution,
They had the bearings in stock but not the spacer. Instead of making me wait 7 to 10 days on parts, they replaced the bearings and scavaged the spacer from a new bike that hadn't been set up yet. I picked up the bike on saturday (week ago yesterday) morning and its been a joy to ride since.

They apologized for the issue and I didn't get all twisted up over it. The missing spacer was a factory thing and wasn't their fault. I felt I was taken care of in a timely manner and to the best of their ability. I'm a happy customer because of it. I held off on posting this but after some time went by, I felt too many bad experiences about dealers are out there and I wanted to pass on a good story. My hats off to the sales staff and service dept at Grand Junction H-D.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good to hear that the dealership took good care of you.

I had a somewhat similar experience at the dealer with my 2008 when I bought it last summer. I rode it home, dropped a couple things off, and was getting ready to head out, but it wouldn't fire up and determined the battery was dead. I got it charged up, rode it back, they got me right in to the service shop, where they tested the battery, determined it was marginal and swapped it on the spot for a brand new one. They apoligized up and down, and I just told them that "stuff happens" and that with the way they took care of the problem, I had no complaints about the experience.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Glad to hear that your dealer did what they were suppose to do. To bad your bike had this problem right out of the box, now everything is good, enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Good to hear it got fixed right away. Alot of us woulda got "Oh, thats normal". Lol

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Too bad you missed out on a day of riding but better than a day in the ER and a trashed bike. Also sounds like the dealer went the extra mile by not making you wait on the part to come in.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good to hear! I had minor issue "out of the box"-Stealer wouldn't cannabalize part from another bike-kept bike out of service three days waiting. Minor heartburn for me-some guys have real horror stories.:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts