Road Glide banner

101 - 120 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Funny you say about bluetooth and android auto.....I thought just like apple car play you need to connect via the usb cable to use it.....so I did and it worked. The following day after downloading it and being a new user I turned on the bike and the bluetooth automatically picked up my phone and it also turned on android auto without it being connected to the usb wire. I have yet to try it again since the day before yesterday but I'm going to do it again today to see if it happens. Once again I'm new to the car play/android auto app so bare with me.
Well it did not happen again now, but to my phone android auto did start up. I don't know how it must be some default setting of sorts but it will take some playing with.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Yes he had the HD 30k headset plugged in. I would assume that his bike of all bikes from the factory would've come already apple car play able since it came with the WHIM module installed factory.
If he had the headset on and paired to the radio and CarPlay didn’t come up it might be the cable. Try a different cable. @skratch has also suggested unpairing the Bluetooth headset and repairing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Works for me! The firmware linked above by @craigffb is the same as any other GT or GTS firmware: download it, extract the file to your thumb drive, insert to the USB port on the bike, and let it run. Nothing special was required- and more importantly given that my GTS is a takeoff unit that had to be updated/reset before it would work- THIS firmware update completed without a hitch. Once it was done, I removed the update flash drive, plugged in my Samsung Galaxy S10, and viola: Android Auto popped up to Google Maps. I got the GTS unit installed and working just in time!

I did have a couple instances of an error: "trouble reading, reconnect usb." or something to that effect (my Samsung GS10 was connected and in my glove box, so no pic). I know AA is VERY touchy about cables and total cable lengths: I have a right angle USB 3.0 "A" to USB C cable (6 inches) that I was using. I WONDER if the original 2017 USB cable isn't providing enough throughput, and as a result, Harley specs a new cable for the GTS P&A kit? Mind you, this is while sitting in the shed, but Android Auto pops up and worked as it does in my truck and with my Sony AX-XAV5000 (which is now in my commuter car). Default is to open to Google Maps, and the last media source used in AA will start: and in my case, my MediaMonkey player started (which is what I'd last used in my truck): so Android Auto seems to be fully functional: it remains to be seen how it will behave when I'm rolling along at 70.

I decided last week to order the updated USB cable referenced in the P&A kit- simply because I know how finicky Android Auto can be with the connections to a head unit. Perhaps that will ensure solid connectivity going forward (once it arrives from Surdyke). However, tomorrow seems like the weather will cooperate, so I'll give the stock 2017 USB cable a workout while riding.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have iso file on brand new stick ignition on assy, fm radio cones on I insert stick it says no readable data,i click okay radio comes back on plays for ever no update option nothing but fm

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Did you download file via a Apple Mac computer? I did and the same thing happened to me. I went back and used a PC with Windows and downloaded and extracted the .ISO file to the USB device and it worked.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I have iso file on brand new stick ignition on assy, fm radio cones on I insert stick it says no readable data,i click okay radio comes back on plays for ever no update option nothing but fm

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Take it to the dealer. They’ll update it for you.

·
Registered
794 Posts
nope downloaded on
Did you download file via a Apple Mac computer? I did and the same thing happened to me. I went back and used a PC with Windows and downloaded and extracted the .ISO file to the USB
Did you download file via a Apple Mac computer? I did and the same thing happened to me. I went back and used a PC with Windows and downloaded and extracted the .ISO file to the USB device and it worked.
nope downloaded with a pc running windows 10 opened up the file has another blue zip file with 7 folders in it put the entire blue iso folder on the stick (new) when i turn the bike to assy. the warning screen comes on i accept, fm radio comes on i insert stick in usb cable in right glove box, no readable media comes up i click 'ok' radio comes back on and nothing else happens. and not everyone lives close to a dealer. i like to know how to do this stuff myself but it's not working. i have the android app on my phone that comes up and plays my music on my phone thru blue tooth to the radio, but that has always been there, i want this upgrade for the google map function most of all

·
Registered
74 Posts
Take it to the dealer. They’ll update it for you.
I took mine to the dealer yesterday and had the update done. Already had downloaded the app on the phone. On my Motorola 7 it has "cast" instead of "mirror"....let the radio boot up before I plugged it it too. Tried it with Bluetooth on and off. I must be missing something, as it works exactly as it did before the update.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I know you have all been waiting on the edge of your seats ... :D

I am pleased to report that I took my bike to the dealership today and they were able to set it up for me so CarPlay works and I no longer get the "no playable media" error. Our long national nightmare is over.
So what were you doing wrong?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know you have all been waiting on the edge of your seats ... :D

I am pleased to report that I took my bike to the dealership today and they were able to set it up for me so CarPlay works and I no longer get the "no playable media" error. Our long national nightmare is over.

Glad you got it sorted out. As @craigffb asked: what was the cause of your error? And frankly, MY curiosity stems from knowing that I was fairly detailed in my instruction, and that my method works 100% of the time for me. Either you had some goofy issue with your bike's setup, or you missed one of my steps, which led to your frustration.

Did you watch the tech (highly unlikely you were able to thanks to this Coronavirus-scare nonsense) do the update, and/or were you able to ask questions about the process while (or after) he did it? Did you give the tech your bike with YOUR flash drive connected? Did they execute the update from your drive? I'd guess they used their own flash drive which they know is formatted correctly and contains the proper update. I'm curious if the .iso file you tried to install was in a folder and not sitting in the "root" of the drive. Windows PCs will extract .zip files natively (meaning you don't have to download a zip file manager like "WinZip" or "7Zip"), but there are limitations to what you can do during extraction. When you right-click the compressed file, you're only given the option to "Extract All", then Windows extracts the files to a folder named for the zip file you're extracting, creating a sub-folder with that name in the same directory the original zip file was located (and that might be the "Downloads" folder if you downloaded it with Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome: that's the default file-download folder). That makes it possible that you dragged/copied the extracted folder to your flash drive.

Honestly, without plugging your flash drive into a PC, I can't be sure the drive was set up correctly to allow the firmware update to work. If the .iso file WAS in a folder and not sitting alone on the root of your flash drive, that could be why the Boom! GTS choked for you: I don't think the system will execute a firmware update if it has to read the .iso from a sub-folder of the attached flash drive (I could be wrong on that- I've never tried).

At least you're up and running and good to go now. And maybe someone else can see this thread and learn something from it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So what were you doing wrong?
Glad you got it sorted out. As @craigffb asked: what was the cause of your error? And frankly, MY curiosity stems from knowing that I was fairly detailed in my instruction, and that my method works 100% of the time for me. Either you had some goofy issue with your bike's setup, or you missed one of my steps, which led to your frustration.

Did you watch the tech (highly unlikely you were able to thanks to this Coronavirus-scare nonsense) do the update, and/or were you able to ask questions about the process while (or after) he did it? Did you give the tech your bike with YOUR flash drive connected? Did they execute the update from your drive? I'd guess they used their own flash drive which they know is formatted correctly and contains the proper update. I'm curious if the .iso file you tried to install was in a folder and not sitting in the "root" of the drive. Windows PCs will extract .zip files natively (meaning you don't have to download a zip file manager like "WinZip" or "7Zip"), but there are limitations to what you can do during extraction. When you right-click the compressed file, you're only given the option to "Extract All", then Windows extracts the files to a folder named for the zip file you're extracting, creating a sub-folder with that name in the same directory the original zip file was located (and that might be the "Downloads" folder if you downloaded it with Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome: that's the default file-download folder). That makes it possible that you dragged/copied the extracted folder to your flash drive.

Honestly, without plugging your flash drive into a PC, I can't be sure the drive was set up correctly to allow the firmware update to work. If the .iso file WAS in a folder and not sitting alone on the root of your flash drive, that could be why the Boom! GTS choked for you: I don't think the system will execute a firmware update if it has to read the .iso from a sub-folder of the attached flash drive (I could be wrong on that- I've never tried).

At least you're up and running and good to go now. And maybe someone else can see this thread and learn something from it!
I don't think my software update was installed incorrectly. I went through the process, and it appeared it updated correctly.

Without changing the Boom software, my system went from reading my phone correctly [albeit without CarPlay functionality] to generating a "no playable media" error a couple months ago. My best guess is that this had to do with some update to the iOs software on the phone that Boom was not equipped to handle, and I was hoping that the Boom! update would fix that but didn't. I did not get to see the tech do his work, but I did talk to him afterward. He described flashing the software and disabling the mic, which can only be done on the computer at the dealership. I'm not sure why that solved the problem, but when I plugged my phone in afterward, it was able to read the data on the phone in the HD mode. And, as an added bonus, CarPlay works now too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm on a Mac but deal with Windows every day.
For those Mac folks, go to the Harley site (Software Updates | Harley-Davidson USA )
I then clicked on the link for the Boom Box GTS (2020 RGS) (Get info & updates )
Went mid-way down the page to BOOM!™ BOX GTS Version: MY21.20.17.00 and clicked the download link (Download ). The file downloads as "swell_boombox_GTS_DOM.iso".

DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK on the file. Leave it alone.

Mount (insert) as USB stick on your Mac. The USB stick needs to be formatted for Windows (FAT). If you're not sure, go to "Applications" and click on the "Utilities" folder. Launch DiskUtility.app. You will see the USB stick on the left side. Right click on it and select 'Erase'. When the box pops up, don't worry about the 'Name'. Click on the 'Format' box and select 'MS-DOS (FAT), then click on the lower right 'Erase' button.
This will format the drive in a format your bike can read.
Once that is done, using two Finder windows, open up the USB stick and the Downloads folder (or wherever you downloaded the swell_boombox_GTS_DOM.iso file).
Drag the 'swell_boombox_GTS_DOM.iso' file to the USB stick window. DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK ON IT. You want a single swell_boombox_GTS_DOM.iso file on the usb stick. Just the single file.

Now go to your motorcycle and plug in the USB stick BEFORE you turn on the bike to the accessory position.
Turn the switch to accessory (all the way to the left - clockwise) and wait.
You will get a message that the media is unreadable.... Ignore it and be patient.
After a while, the software update screen will appear. Follow the prompts and that's it.

Here is a good video of the process:

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i'm on a mac. my process was basically the same as yours, except i already had the usb drives formatted for windows. i downloaded the zipped file, unzipped it, copied the iso file to the jump drive and then did the update process on my bike. i followed the hd directions, and did not plug in the usb drive until after the radio had booted. process went smoothly for me (on 2 bikes, updated the wife's as well while i was doing it)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think my software update was installed incorrectly. I went through the process, and it appeared it updated correctly.

Without changing the Boom software, my system went from reading my phone correctly [albeit without CarPlay functionality] to generating a "no playable media" error a couple months ago. My best guess is that this had to do with some update to the iOs software on the phone that Boom was not equipped to handle, and I was hoping that the Boom! update would fix that but didn't. I did not get to see the tech do his work, but I did talk to him afterward. He described flashing the software and disabling the mic, which can only be done on the computer at the dealership. I'm not sure why that solved the problem, but when I plugged my phone in afterward, it was able to read the data on the phone in the HD mode. And, as an added bonus, CarPlay works now too.

I'm not an iPhone guy, but I've seen a number of posts that iPhone 11's were having problems.

As for disabling the mic, that IS only done through the Digital Technician system at the dealership. If your thumb drive was properly formatted, contained ONLY the .iso file for the update and your USB cable didn't have a break (that is HIGHLY unlikely) and you were in Accessory mode with your ignition switch, you should have had no issue with performing the GTS firmware update.

All's well that ends well though. Good to hear you're up and running properly now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update upload was successful, I have no icon for car play. Tried a ways to connect.
No luck. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Update upload was successful, I have no icon for car play. Tried a ways to connect.
No luck. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Prior to the update, were you using Car Play? If you own a 2019+ touring bike, it already had it. Per other posts, it requires a headset, or a trip to the dealer for them to enable it to work without a headset.

101 - 120 of 169 Posts