Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help shed some light on this issue I have with a new build?
Its a 07 96 punched out to a 103 with Screaming Eagle MVA heads, 10.5:1 SE pistons with their SST rings, standard bore. During the initial start up everything was fine through several heat cycles then proceeded on a low speed road test for a total of 32 miles, upon return smelled oil and the pistons had oil on them and the valve ports in the heads were saturated with oil.
Took it down, disassembled the heads and the machinist said everything was ok, sometimes those rings would skate on top of the oil on the walls and push it out the exhaust.
Reassembly #2 ball honed the walls and installed a new set of rings into a dry cylinder. After another few heat cycles there was oil again on the pistons and going into the heads.
Right now the cylinders, pistons and heads are back at the machine shop. So far the update to me is the rings and cylinders are set up correctly, and they are going to reinspect the heads and look into to see if theres another set of rings that may be better.
Any of you engine guys heard of this issue and moreso would you have a suggestion on what to do next?
Sure appreciate any help.
DV

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throttle body and intake were dry, I think it was just coming out the exhaust, but there may have also been some in the intake port that I suspect was from valve overlap maybe?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TB and intake were dry, the oil was in the exhaust port and going out the pipe.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The TB and intake were dry, the oil was in the exhaust port and going out the pipe.
Prior to a complete teardown, a leakdown test will in fact pin-point the area that needs attention.
If it is getting past the rings, those bores need to be inspected with a .0001" dial bore guage, for starters.
Scott

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rings were correctly installed fwiw. Im not sure if the wrench did a leakdown i didnt ask. But at this point its all apart at the machinists. My guess is that perhaps the bore is too large for the piston/ring fit. These heads were new with 8k miles on them, the were disassembled, inspected and cleaned up and reassembled with new upgraded valve seals. I didnt have this problem before the motor teardown initially but they had the wrong pistons and rings installed in the first place. Long story short the indy that rebuilt my motor the first time really overstated his ability. Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
If everything was assembled correctly then I would suspect that the jugs were punched out to big so have the jugs checked.
If the jugs were punched to the point that you can't use .010 over pistons and rings you may want to go with new jugs.
I got brand new HD 95/103 jugs from PC Pain for around $250 a pair which is cheaper than buying new .010 over pistons and rings.
The only other problem would be that the rings were not clocked correctly and oil was passing the rings.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Piston was saturated with oil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
did they match the piston size to the bore minus clearences when it was bored? not sure what type of clearences your running but that would make a difference if the cylinder was bored too much

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did they match the piston size to the bore minus clearences when it was bored? not sure what type of clearences your running but that would make a difference if the cylinder was bored too much
Thats what i am thinking too.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Many years ago when i first started to do my own engine work i did the upper end on an old evo i had,got the rings upside down it did the very same thing as yours,i would suspect the issue is located in the cly,either upside down rings or way to much clearance on clys.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got off the phone with the macinists. He said hes going to hand fit a set of 010 over rings into the cylinder. Sounds a bit unusual but the guys been doing hd top ends only, since 1956 so i have to think he knows what hes doing. The purpose of this is to give added ring pressure.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not saying I agree or disagree with this method but at this point I think they have more experience than me On this subject. Im almost going to inquire about going with a Mahle 107 bore and pistons

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Oh boy..............:confused::(:rolleyes:
Hey, what could possibly go wrong. High tension rings cause excess friction and wear, something you DON'T want on any motor especially an air cooled one!! Correctly machined cylinders will have a plateau hone so smooth you can see your reflection in them and they use a low tension ring pack. High tension rings are at best a "band-aid" for poor machine work and if they do cure your problem it will be short lived.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Just get new jugs and re-ring the pistons and be done with it. Or go .010 over and use .010 over pistons and rings, your cost will be around the same. I personally would lean towards new jugs.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Boring and honing(we too finish with a plateau hone) a Harley cylinder to the correct size, and setting the correct ring gaps is about as hard as watching grass grow.
Most of these johnny-come-lately shops farm all that type of work out.........but folks are not aware of that, and in spite of that lack of knowledge by the client, consider those outfits to be BMOC.........hahaha..........the cloak of the interweb rides again....:)
Scott

1 - 20 of 31 Posts