Road Glide banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It may run but not well,you need some type of tuner for a cam swap,there are many out there,so my thoughts are,find out who will be doing tuning and use what they know how to tune,any dealer can do a Race tuner,most have another that they like as well if you are going with a dyno run tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please only answer my question,if you have tried putting a cam in and running it with stock tune. For now I just want to do the cams and later power vision ,air cleaner and mufflers

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
No it won't run right! The main reason is that the timing is different between the HD cams you took out and the new cams you installed.
Also when the timing is changed the Air Fuel Ratio changes so you will need a tuner to make the adjustments.
If you use a tuner that only does the AFR then the timing will still be off, you need to get a tuner that will adjust timing too, such as the SEPRT, Power Vision or a Thundermax to mention a few.
In most cases you would still need a dyno tune no matter what tuner you use but some tuners such as the Power Vision and Thundermax have base maps that can be loaded by the consumer and they are also adjustable by the consumer.
Harley SE tuners need to be flashed and adjusted in most cases by the HD dealer and they need to be dyno tuned too, some independent shops have the capabilities to adjust the HD tuners and do dyno tunes.

Get the cams and wait until you have the other components then do the install of all your performance parts at the same time. JMO

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ironmark, Desertwndrr & Tdkkart just summed it up for you. Get the parts and do it all at once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.