Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

http://www.wild1inc.com/OUTLAWZINFO.html

i wanted to be the first one to get these new 10"-14" Ape hangers from Chubby Wild Ones, but am hesitating the purchase, as I am very short (5'6") and am concerned i will be reaching even further with these bars compares to stock, as they only have 8.5" of Pullback(1.5" less than stock) and because HD and Chubby WO measure pullback differently.
HD measures pullback when the bars are sittin up stariaght against a wall, and Chubby WO measures them in line with the front forks. ( angled back toward the rider)
So actually they have even less pullback the claimed 8.5". I realize that you the wrist angle is different for more comfort, but my stock bars are already pulled back(not in line with forks) and still not enjoying having to lean forward just a bit and getting the should blade pain.
i just love the looks of these narrow apes, but unsure if the increase in height (but less pullback) will actually be more comfortable.
Any of you that have tried multiple sets of bars on your RG and are short like me have any insight?
If you dont think these bars will suit me, do I go for a bars with lots of pullback, or is pullback specs what will ultimately help me, or should I not be so concerned about pullback because the increase i height when aligned with the front forks or pulled back a little will come closer to my shoulders?
i was hoping to keep them a secret, but now have decided to share with the rest of you. When I called Chubbys last week they were making them as we spoke, and hadnt sold a pair yet.
Whattya think?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Cool looking bars,. but can't help ya on advice. I like my bars just the opposite,.. hardly any pullback and almost straight up because I have long arms.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
What 24 views and no responses? Come on guys!
Whattya think of these bars?
OK, here's my observation. These bars are a lot like the 13" apes I bought off of eBay recently. NICE bars, really nice. But I put them up to the bike and determined they weren't "right" for a Roadie. The uprights obstructed the view of the gauges and there wasn't enough pullback to suit me. I returned the bars, lost shipping charges both ways and a 10% restocking fee, but that was cheap compared to having installed them and then determining I didn't like them (which would have included extending wiring, brake lines and clutch and throttle cables.) My concern for these bars is the lack of pullback, and also, the width is pretty narrow for a Roadie, IMO. YMMV

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, here's my observation. These bars are a lot like the 13" apes I bought off of eBay recently. NICE bars, really nice. But I put them up to the bike and determined they weren't "right" for a Roadie. The uprights obstructed the view of the gauges and there wasn't enough pullback to suit me. I returned the bars, lost shipping charges both ways and a 10% restocking fee, but that was cheap compared to having installed them and then determining I didn't like them (which would have included extending wiring, brake lines and clutch and throttle cables.) My concern for these bars is the lack of pullback, and also, the width is pretty narrow for a Roadie, IMO. YMMV
Thanks for comments guys (Chain, Big Dave). i appreciate you honesty and insight.
I never thought how they might block the gauges being so narrow.
i wish I had a pari to " hold up" to the bike so i could determine what I need.
i actually like the narrowness of them, which I think is why they call the OUTLAWZ, as they give the RG a totally different look.
Another option i am considering is going the opposite route, like beach bars. But i dont them to be too wide or that would stretch me out, but they have serious pullback, and I would love to have bars i dont need to lean over to reach them. I like also like the wrist angle on these outlawz bars.
I had the Khromewerks Sweepers on my Street Glide, and they were pretty comfy, but something slightly taller, and not so wide would be perfect.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
The best advice I can give,.. is just go with custom made. Sit on your bike, put your arms out where they are comfortable and have someone start measuring. You can get custom bars made for as cheap as $120 in raw steel and higher depending on where you shop and how fancy you want to get.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Chain had some great advice

GR8FLH, Chain had some great advice about measuring where you need the bars to be for comfort. If you hold a broomstick out in front of you and put your hands/arms out and have someone measure for you, it will pay off. I used that method with BR Customs when I did my first set of apes and it worked out REALLY well. Chain was right about custom vs off the shelf, but if your going off the shelf measuring will give you a good idea what you need.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hey GR8FLH, I don't know how much this helps, but here we go. Like you I am blessed with shortness (granted I tower over you by a mere inch!! LOL!), I found a set of apes made by Khromewerks that I think I am going to be happy with. They are marketed with a pullback of 7.6 inches. I set the bars in the clamps and they were lined up pretty well with the forks. I was able to grab the bars and seem pretty comfy. As of yet I have not installed them because I am putting wheels on my ride first (gotta have priorites, and the wheels won the coin toss!). ALso the bars are 12 inch apes. They arwe 1 1/4 bars and the part number is: 300325 (this is Khrome Werks part number), they also retail off the website for $145. However, they don't offer them in black (sorry Dave!) so you gotta go with chrome or get them powder coated. Hope this helps (oh yeah, my sleeve length is 32")

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
59 Posts
GR8FLH,
Looks like a good option. Really wish I could see these on a bike. I think you should get em and give us a full review.:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Only problem is no wires installed for cruise and radio, othewise a heckuva good deal!!!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm looking into the same thing - better fitting bars. Here's something to consider:

Wild One = 12" tall, 10.0" centerwidth, 33.5" wide, 8" pullback ($219.95)
http://www.wild1inc.com/orderWO612.html

Paughcos = 11" tall, 11.5" centerwidth, 31.5" wide, 8" pullback ($98.95)
http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog/indivpages/Harley-Davidson Handlebars From Paughco.html

Differences other than price (and obviously, quality), the Paughcos are a bit wider at the bottom so there's a little more clearance to view guages.

Another thing to consider:
Windshield/mirror interference. I don't know yet for sure, but I believe these bars are narrow enough at the top to fit without much, if any, rollback but MAYBE not (?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wild Ones Outlawz

I just installed the new Wild ones 0utlawz 12" in Black
Ran the wires intenally all factory wires and cables
Nice bars good quality

O yea and i was definately the first as John over at Wild ones said they came right from the powdercoat to the shipping box !!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nice bars good quality

O yea and i was definately the first as John over at Wild ones said they came right from the powdercoat to the shipping box !!
Do you know yet how they do WRT mirrors hitting the windshield plus what windshield are you using? Those are my worries anyway.

Right now I have a KW 16" but it sux so I'm probably going to a Wind Vest 14" and I want to use either these WOs or the Paughco minis.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice bars good quality

Wheres the pictures???
I still havent purchased any bars.
Please post some pix here and let me know how they worked out for ya.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts