Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike is a 2013 RGU, I replaced my slipping clutch with a barnett extra plate clutch pack when the stock one started slipping, I am now experiencing 2 different issues, 1st issue is trying to get a decent friction zone, I originally set the set screw at half a turn and the clutch lever was just too far out for me, I reset it at 3/4 but it still seems too far out and it is also very grabby? Do I reset it back to 1/2 and just play with the cable freeplay adjustment?

this brings me to the next issue which may or may not be related to being 3/4 turns out instead of 1/2, the bike goes in and out of gear just fine with both settings however when it gets hot (first time it happened was on a hill, second just flat riding at the end of an hour ride) the bike started squealing like a pig when I shifted, like the rear tire was breaking loose but more than that.....if I eased off the clutch it did not make that noise...

I put a whole container of formula 1 in the primary I wonder if it needs a little more since it was "dry"

any and all suggestions welcome, I don't believe the basket is problematic because 99% of the time it doesn't make noise and shifts fine.

thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
bike is a 2013 RGU, I replaced my slipping clutch with a barnett extra plate clutch pack when the stock one started slipping, I am now experiencing 2 different issues, 1st issue is trying to get a decent friction zone, I originally set the set screw at half a turn and the clutch lever was just too far out for me, I reset it at 3/4 but it still seems too far out and it is also very grabby? Do I reset it back to 1/2 and just play with the cable freeplay adjustment?

this brings me to the next issue which may or may not be related to being 3/4 turns out instead of 1/2, the bike goes in and out of gear just fine with both settings however when it gets hot (first time it happened was on a hill, second just flat riding at the end of an hour ride) the bike started squealing like a pig when I shifted, like the rear tire was breaking loose but more than that.....if I eased off the clutch it did not make that noise...

I put a whole container of formula 1 in the primary I wonder if it needs a little more since it was "dry"

any and all suggestions welcome, I don't believe the basket is problematic because 99% of the time it doesn't make noise and shifts fine.

thanks

stock bike shouldn't require an extra plate clutch pack.
sounds like a procedural issue.
be sure to take all the tension off the clutch pack before you bottom out the adjustment screw and then back it out.
there should only be about 3/32 slack in the cable at the lever when you're done.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock bike shouldn't require an extra plate clutch pack.
sounds like a procedural issue.
be sure to take all the tension off the clutch pack before you bottom out the adjustment screw and then back it out.
there should only be about 3/32 slack in the cable at the lever when you're done.
yeah, I am kind of regretting the suggestion to use the extra plate, I am assuming when you say take the slack out you mean loosen the adjustment on the cable, I had all the slack taken out both times I adjusted the clutch. For the record I have adjusted many a stock clutch on my bikes, but I never had anything but stock clutches...

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
y2kflhr when you changed to the Barnett Extra Plate Clutch did you leave out the OEM Spring Plate?
If I remember correctly the instructions say to leave that plate out as the extra plate makes up the difference.
I replaced my OEM Clutch with the Barnett Extra Plate Clutch a few years ago and it has been working great for me.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
38 oz in the primary. Screwed clutch cable all the way together,adjust allen screw till it bottoms slightly then back off 1/2 turn,lock it in place with nut. Take slack out of cable via adjuster. Leaving 3/32 play at lever. If you skip first part of instructions then you'll never get it right.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went back and redid the clutch adjustment, I believe the cable didn’t have all the slack out, this probably wasn’t an issue with the old clutch, but I had put on higher bars so maybe? It wasn’t as loose at the transmission even though the lever was totally loose (grasping at straws). I went back to the 1/2 turn as recommended by Barnett and readjusted the cable, I was able to get the throw closer to the grip and it seems like I have more of a friction zone, I’ll ride to work tomorrow and know better, hopefully the chatter when it got hot was a function of it just getting too tight....thanks for the help, I’ll report back tomorrow!

·
Super Moderator
9,691 Posts
I put the BDL extra plate in last year on my '11 and love it , 10% stronger spring with the kit , makes a huge difference , stock spring isn't quite enough ..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bike was perfect this am on the way to work, lever where I wanted it and much more friction zone which I was overjoyed to test in bumper to bumper traffic this am! hopefully the squeal is gone once it gets really hot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts