Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited (Midnight Crimson)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided this look wasn't for me. ;)
20210404_105135.jpg
tak
Actually, I did go for a ride with the cardboard to verify new shield height. It stayed stuck at 70mph and was a lot quieter than the unmolested stock shield. Decided on the Freedom Shield 16" and the medium gray tint.
Did the test ride with the plastic in place. Much better than the stock windshield. If I raise up about 3" in the seat the noise is about the same as the stock windshield. Sitting normally the buffeting is minimal. My guess is about a 20db reduction in wind/buffeting noise. Rode with earplugs with the stock shield so that is where I got the 20db number. I'm 5'9" ish and I'm looking right at 2" over the new shield. And, yes it's quieter than the cardboard.

The medium tint is exactly what I expected and does a lot to knock down glare.

Got a call from John a few days before it was supposed to ship. Covid hit his shop and slowed things down a bit. Only delayed shipping by 3 days. Great people to work with.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
You must have a long torso. I’m 5’11” and the stock shield was right in my line of sight. I went with a shorter shield. Maybe I slouch too much LOL

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I’m 5’7” and hated the short, stock windshield, or what Harley-Davidson calls a Windshield, on my 2021 Road Glide Standard. I resea different Shields. Went to dealers and checked the ones they had. I only found one Freedom Shield, and it was on a Consignment Motorcycle, so I couldn’t compare it on my bike. Or even sit on it to see how it looked. I went to different Shield maker’s web sites. I decided to take a chance on Freedom Shield because of their return policy. I used their procedu to find the best height and style. I ordered the Sport 11” light tint. I installed it and loved it. Here is my YouTube video of the installation and how it looks and sounds.
Great windshield!

Reactions: AlexSpain

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also hated the stock windshield and decided on the Freedom Shield 13". I am 5'10" with a 29 inseam, so I also have a long torso and a Mustang seat which raises me up by about 1". I The 13" shield did a great job of reducing the buffeting and wind noise. I can now hear the music at 75-80 mph. John at Freedom Shields is awesome to deal with. I originally ordered the 12" but sent it back for full refund in exchange for the 13". Only issue was it cost me $65 to send back 12" with USPS, who was the cheapest. Still worth every penny I spent on it because you can't put a price on comfort or looks.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
I ordered one for my wife’s bike a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately COVID19 hit them right after my order so I have a little bit more than just 3 days delay, however they say it should be shipped out by May 17 so my wife will have it in time for SWXI. I hope she enjoys it. I’ve never dealt with Freedom before this, but I was impressed after a phone conversation and decided to give them a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too added a Freedom Shield this Spring; went with a 15” touring dark tint version, and I have been loving it so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found this site during a search while trying to eliminate "buffeting", after trying 3 shields, I purchased a 13" touring from Freedom for my 2011. What a difference!! I traded in my Batwing and was starting to really dislike the RG, this Freedom shield made this bike enjoyable !! 👍

·
Registered
158 Posts
John is a good guy, and y’all won’t be disappointed with those shields.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my 18" Freedom Shield! They're good people and make them right here in Colorado!
If anyone needs a 16" light gray tint, I'd let it go cheap. I bought the 16" originally, but at 6'4" decided to go up to the 18". I'd say it would be good for anyone 6' or above. It will fit 1998-2013 and is in like-new condition. It's been sitting in my bedroom and every morning I walk by it and think, "I need to do something with that".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts