Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum and the Road Glide - went all in with the Limited with RDS. Not new to Harley, owned Road King and Softail previously. Always wanted the big touring rig and my wife and kids like to ride with me, so finally pulled the trigger. Have other bikes but not as comfy for two-up (e.g., Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 - great bike).

I always thought I wanted the Ultra Limited and batwing, and REALLY disliked the looks of the fixed fairing. By the way, I've heard and read the goal was for it to look like an eagle, not a shark. Took my time and read a lot, and the Road Glide started to catch my attention. Looked at it for months and it started to grow on me, little by little. Then, the dealer recommended I ride them back to back and that clinched it for me - done deal. The batwing is more maneuverable at low speeds - rode my buddy's bike (I practice 18' figure-eights in four parking spaces, two wide by two long) but the Glide is king on the interstate. I can't figure out folks that say there's little difference on the highway, go figure. And, no issues railing through Deals Gap, etc.

Mods so far include Ohlins suspension front and rear, Madstad adjustable shield, Corbin two-up touring saddle along with the Corbin tour-pack backrest (driver's backrest on the way), highway pegs, and I recently installed Rockford Fosgate Stage 2 (crystal clear at 80 with ear plugs and full-face helmet). I prefer long-distance touring so that's how I set it up. Have a 6K trip planned just before Sturgis, will be headed home just as Sturgis begins. Atlanta to Idaho and all around, and back.

Bike is really spectacular. I feel no need for exhaust (prefer quiet), engine mods, etc. I probably will not touch it until after warranty. If I do something then, I'll let Kevin Baxter at Pro-Twin Performance do the work. And then, it would only be for reliability, touring torque, fuel efficiency, etc.

Forum is great, have been lurking for a bit. Posts here helped me make my decision.

Picked up a screw in the rear but saving my fresh Dunlop American Elites for my trip since tires are unobtanium. Plugged the hole and will ride to FL on Saturday, wish me luck.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Welcome from SW Atlanta

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Welcome. I know you will enjoy the ride. And you will never find as much knowledge on RG that here.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Congrats on the great new bike and welcome from SC. Ride safe & enjoy!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!!!!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new ride. Enjoy making it yours.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Welcome, from New York to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The New Glide!
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,043 Posts
Very tasteful mods to set it up for touring. Welcome to the forum

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,525 Posts
Congratulation. You've acquired the MoCo's best touring bike and now you've found the best damned HD forum on the net - winner, winner, chicken dinner! Welcome from SW Florida.

PS: If you'd like to meet a few members on here and ride with us for a couple days, check out the Florida "Meet and Greet" thread in the Southeast Section on here. We'll be riding out of Crawfordville, FL which is only 4.5 hours south of you, near Tallahassee. Everything you need to know is on that thread. Hope you'll join us.

Reactions: Doc King

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Congrats, Welcome to the Tank from Texas and enjoy!

Reactions: Doc King

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited (Midnight Crimson)
7 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Alabama!

Who did the suspension work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Easy enough to do but I still had my mechanic, Abel, do it at Killer Creek. He knows I'm a perfectionist and will check over the work. I tip accordingly. And, bring donuts, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I work with Traxxion as well but Abel is nearby and I trust him. And, he's done the Ohlins thing before on several other bikes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts