Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some exciting news earlier this evening! Freedom Shields will be releasing a Sports Touring Model. I've been fortunate enough to see pictures of the new shield on a 2015 Road Glide and they look great!

The new shield is curvy and fits the lines of our bikes perfectly. I've had a couple of the regular FS shields now and fit, finish, quality are perfect. So if you're looking for a sporty and sexy alternative to the standard touring shield, be sure to hit up John at Freedom Shields, or even better yet visit their website.

And I have more great news...... Freedom Shields will be running a 20% off sale on Black Friday, so if you've been looking for a new windshield for your 2015 / 2016 Shark be sure to check out Freedom Shields.

Pictures of the new shield on a 2015 Road Glide will be posted in this thread shortly.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Looks pretty good. I tried to see if there's any distortion looking through it in your pix and can't see any. How is it from the seat? Have any issues looking through it? I have their 14" standard now and love it. No distortion through the recurve a all.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks pretty good. I tried to see if there's any distortion looking through it in your pix and can't see any. How is it from the seat? Have any issues looking through it? I have their 14" standard now and love it. No distortion through the recurve a all.
The pics I provided came Freedom Shields and are not pics of the shield on my bike. So I can't speak to distortion, but knowing the quality of my two previous shields from FS I doubt that there will be any (or so minimal as to be irrelevant.).

Hopefully I'll have a sample to put on my bike in the next couple of weeks and I will provide further updates. I'm going to try the 10" ST in dark gray and see what I think of it and then will report back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'll be following this.. im interested in getting larger shield from my 12" now not sure which to get.. lol

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yesterday I received the Freedom Shield 10" Sport Touring windshield in Dark Grey. I was going to wait until later this week to install it, but it looked so great that I just had to get it on the bike and snap some photos. As weather permits I'll get some photos of it on the bike out in the sunlight and provide some feedback on wind management. But I'll say that it looks fantastic on the bike, even in the garage. As long as it is even marginally better in wind management than the stock shield, this shield will be my daily driver and I'll probably keep the Freedom Shield 11" Standard shield for longer road trips. Quality is outstanding, just like the two previous Freedom Shields that I have purchased.

This shield measures approximately 3 3/4 inches from the top of the vent housing to the top of the shield. Without further delay, here's how it looks on my bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks great! Follows the lines of the bike well. We need a review!!! I'm also curious as to how tall you are & how you feel it compares to your 11" standard freedom. this may be my first shield purchase!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I escaped from work a little early yesterday evening and had about 30 minutes of daylight and bearable weather so I jumped on the bike and took a 30 minute ride into town and back. To put everything into perspective;

I'm 6' 1" with a 34" inseam and around 235 lbs. I do ride a little slouched normally, but putting the Road6 Standard Apes on my bike makes me sit a little taller in the seat. I'm using the stock seat.

Here is my experience with the three different Freedom Shields that I've used;

First: 12" FS Touring in Dark Grey
Distortion - None
Fit - Perfect
Finish - Perfect, polished edges, good optics
Wind management - Very good. So good that it makes you realize how much wind comes up from underside of the front end and up over the fuel tank. Most of the time I ride without a helmet and wind over the shield was about an inch over the crown of my big bald head.
Customer Service - Outstanding. Shield arrived when expected, order confirmation and ship notification emails and John was very helpful answering questions before the first order.
Cosmetics - Shield function was fantastic, but it just looked a little too tall for my liking. Side view and front 1/4 appearance was good, but from the front it just didn't do anything for me.

Second: 11" FS Touring in Dark Grey
Distortion - None
Fit - Perfect
Wind management - Good, but obviously not as good as the 12". Most of the time I ride without a helmet and wind over this shield hits right at the crown of my big bald head.
Customer Service - Outstanding. Shield arrived when expected, order confirmation and ship notification emails.
Cosmetics - Shield function was good, and in my opinion was a very good compromise between function and appearance.

Third: 10" FS Sport Touring in Dark Grey
Distortion - Undetectable under normal riding conditions
Fit - Perfect
Wind management - This isn't the 12" or even 11" original touring but still magnitudes better than the OEM windshield. Most of the time I ride without a helmet and wind over this shield hits about 2" below the crown of my big bald head. Think somewhere in the top third between the crown of your head and eyebrows. There is more wind that comes around the side of this shield because of the scalloped corners, but it really just blends with what is already coming up from under the front end.
Customer Service - Outstanding. Shield arrived when expected, order confirmation and ship notification emails.
Cosmetics - Shield function was good, and in my opinion was a very good compromise between function and appearance.

The appearance of the Sport Touring more than makes up for any wind management concessions IMHO. This shield will be my daily driver in most situations. The only time I see myself swapping back to the 11" standard touring will be for long trips that could include some cold or inclement weather.

In short I highly recommend the Sport Touring for 2015 / 2016 Road Glides if you're looking for a sexy shield that improves over the OEM shield.

If I had just one very general recommendation for FS it would be in the shade of grey they call dark gray. It is grey in certain lighting, but riding the bike the color appears more amber than grey and is certainly more translucent in daylight that the OEM shield or some offerings from other windshield manufacturers. It would be awesome if FS offered up a true dark (dark) grey model, or maybe on the shorter shields even a black opaque offering. This 10" Sport Touring model would look BA in black opaque.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 10" dark tint sport touring on order, should arrive next week. I'll be curious to compare it against the LRS 11" I have for both quality & function. There's a 1.5" difference in height between the two. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wonder how much difference in wind management you would notice comparing the same height shields on a bike with lowers. Lowers make the world of difference for me and I currently run a 15" touring shield.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you want opaque black, try spraying it with Plastidip. Good stuff. If you don't like the results, it will peel right off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts