Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- I'm looking to get new grips for my new ride. I had Kuryakyn's on my Fatboy, which were already on when I bought it, and I loved them. I've found some similar to my old ones on Revzilla. My questions are these- The grips are described as "Kuryakyn ISO Grips For Harley Fly-By-Wire" and the premium set includes a "Throttle Boss". What do 'fly by wire' and 'throttle boss' mean? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Fly by wire is a term used to describe the electric throttle control sensor on touring bikes. "Throttle Boss" refers to the tab on the grip itself, which promotes a lever to rest your palm on to help eliminate grip fatigue.

Reactions: sh1520

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fly by wire is a term used to describe the electric throttle control sensor on touring bikes. "Throttle Boss" refers to the tab on the grip itself, which promotes a lever to rest your palm on to help eliminate grip fatigue.
Ok great. The other question I have is- The site doesn't say either way if it will fit my 16 FLTRU. You think it will?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Ok great. The other question I have is- The site doesn't say either way if it will fit my 16 FLTRU. You think it will?
It should. Either way I would call Direct Cycle Parts. You will get the best price and they will help you get the correct grip for your model.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great. Never heard of them but love new places!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, the fly-by-wire ones are what you need for your '16 FLTRU (an easy way to tell if your throttle is FBW, is the absence of the two cables that would normally come out of the grip housing).

I also went with Kuryakyn, but instead went with the Kinetic Grips
rather than the ISO-grips. Cleaner look (to me), same vibration dampening properties, available in black or chrome, also has a throttle boss option (which is handy if you don't use your cruise control often).

Reactions: Swomack and sh1520

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the fly-by-wire ones are what you need for your '16 FLTRU (an easy way to tell if your throttle is FBW, is the absence of the two cables that would normally come out of the grip housing).

rather than the ISO-grips. Cleaner look (to me), same vibration dampening properties, available in black or chrome, also has a throttle boss option (which is handy if you don't use your cruise control often).

Sweet. I'll check those out too. Is replacing the stock grips a difficult job? I'm somewhat mechanically DEclined, so please take that into account lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sweet. I'll check those out too. Is replacing the stock grips a difficult job? I'm somewhat mechanically DEclined, so please take that into account lol
It's VERY easy. I've done it 3 times now. The grips' printed install instructions are decent, but Revzilla made a great video that shows how it's done (even if you don't buy from them).

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Not to bad at all really. Check out youtube videos. I went with Avon grips and love them. Similar to Kuryakyns.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts

I really like those grips.
They look great on your bike.
I have had Kuryakyn grips on my last four bikes and they are great. They feel great in your hand IMO they are the best for overall comfort.
Swomack

·
Registered
231 Posts
I really like those grips.
They look great on your bike.
I have had Kuryakyn grips on my last four bikes and they are great. They feel great in your hand IMO they are the best for overall comfort.
Swomack
Thanks. I like how they look too. Not as fat as the ISO's but just as comfy, and IMO "grippier."
One thing I must say about them is that the shape of the grip pads made them look flatter/more oblong to me. Not sure if it looks that way for others, but they (surprisingly) are actually ROUND grips.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Throttle Boss is a must have for me. I've had Iso Grips on my last 2 bikes. I went with Avon's this time. I like them also.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I for one don't really care for them. But I don't have a death grip on the bars either. I feel they're in the way and unnecessary for my needs. Don't like how they look either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts