Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just got the new H.O.G. magazine and there is a write up on the Mt. Washington Auto Road!
Can't wait! Come on August!!!!!
You'll love it.
Be prepared to pucker up when one of those passenger vans decides it needs more room then a tractor trailer !
Throw in some dirt portions to enhance the ride.
Hope for good weather.
No bikes when wet.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,932 Posts
You'll love it.
Be prepared to pucker up when one of those passenger vans decides it needs more room then a tractor trailer !
Throw in some dirt portions to enhance the ride.
Hope for good weather.
No bikes when wet.
Definitely some first class pucker factor. We rode it a year or so ago and there were no dirt sections.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Definitely some first class pucker factor. We rode it a year or so ago and there were no dirt sections.
It's been 4 years since I was last up the mountain. There were still a few sections of hard pack dirt then. Glad they finally paved it the whole way.
Don't forget, it does get cold on the mountain. I have seen as much as a 30 degree drop from top to bottom.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
We rode it when we went to Laconia last year and there was one dirt section almost exactly half way up, lasts about a mile I'm thinkin'. The day we went up during the rally the road was closed to bikes only but the tour vans were still running for the faint of heart that didn't wanna ride up.

I'm glad the regular tourist weren't driving up and down the road that day, the van guys, the guys that do it several times a day were enough. I'd hate to share the road with a bunch of first timer cagers!

....the dirt section and it wasn't as smooth as it appears. There were ruts increasing the pucker factor!

If we can catch a break on the weather, usually the top is a lot different then the bottom, it's a great ride!!

·
7,932 Posts
I'm guessing they must have been doing repairs to that section of the road because we did it in August 2012 and there were no dirt sections. Your first pic of the open road tells it all. Curvy, narrow, no guardrails ... and a VERY long way to the bottom.

Going up isn't bad, it's the fools who try to go down in 2/3 rd gear that burn out their brakes and get themselves in trouble.

·
7,932 Posts
Any hikers wanna hoof it up the mountain?
I hiked to the top through Tuckerman's Ravine when I was 20, I surely wouldn't try it today - my lungs would explode! :eek:

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Thanks for the pics Jim. I just read the article in HOG. It's pretty cool to know that we'll be on that road in a few months. Shark Week is beginning to feel real :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts