Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,819 Posts
I just read about this accident on line and I almost puked. Damn, 7 riders dead at the scene and three others hospitalized. They must have been riding in a tight group and the 3/4 ton pick up which looks like it was towing a flat bed car/equipment trailer crossed the center line and mowed them down like bowling pins. Very little info available at the moment about who they were or where they were from. For any of you that attended SW4, the accident took place not more than 15 miles from our host hotel. If you went left out of the parking lot headed towards town, the first traffic light is Rte. 2. If you took a left there (headed towards Mt. Washington and many other NH attractions) it was probably 10-15 miles west on Rte.2 That road is very well maintained and smooth and much of it is 3 lane with a double lane on whatever side is going uphill. Looks like the accident happened on a 2 lane stretch. Something caused the driver to cross the center line and run head-on into the group of riders. Such a freakin' shame. May they RIP who ever they are.

·
6,819 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
6,819 Posts
As a former police officer, that would be one heck of a tough call to respond to!
As a civilian I'm totally satisfied to just read about it. It was about 4 years ago that I was at Laconia Bike Week for 4-5 days. My mom used to live there at the time, so I was staying with her. The very first morning I left her place about 10 and headed up to Laconia Harley to see what was going on. I hadn't gone more than 6-7 miles when the three Street Glide riders from CT. who had been in front of me the whole way decided to self destruct right in front of me. They were probably only going 35 or so when they collided with each other. One of the SGs dug a highway peg (or something like that) into the asphalt and catapulted itself high enough in the air that I could have driven under him. Thankfully, when I come upon other riders, whether it's 2 or 22, I never get up close and assume the tail position. It's their ride and their group so I always hang back a hundred feet or more. That practice saved my hide that day. They were riding without helmets and one of them had a severe head injury, not sure if he made it or not.

God Bless these riders and their families that have been left behind.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
This is very sad and horrific to read about. Seeing this in person would bring back memories of Iraq I am sure.
I hope what happened will be hard to determine. I've only read one article so far so what happened to the driver of the truck? I understand his truck was on fire but was he also killed?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
As a civilian I'm totally satisfied to just read about it. It was about 4 years ago that I was at Laconia Bike Week for 4-5 days. My mom used to live there at the time, so I was staying with her. The very first morning I left her place about 10 and headed up to Laconia Harley to see what was going on. I hadn't gone more than 6-7 miles when the three Street Glide riders from CT. who had been in front of me the whole way decided to self destruct right in front of me. They were probably only going 35 or so when they collided with each other. One of the SGs dug a highway peg (or something like that) into the asphalt and catapulted itself high enough in the air that I could have driven under him. Thankfully, when I come upon other riders, whether it's 2 or 22, I never get up close and assume the tail position. It's their ride and their group so I always hang back a hundred feet or more. That practice saved my hide that day. They were riding without helmets and one of them had a severe head injury, not sure if he made it or not.

God Bless these riders and their families that have been left behind.
Yeah,that’s a good rule to keep some distance from other unknown riders not knowing their riding skills either. But for those fellow riders who escaped this accident, witnessing it and dealing with the aftermath at that scene, must be extremely traumatizing!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Saw a blurb on FOX about an hour ago. Prayers for all the families and friends that will be affected by this senseless tragedy.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Yeah,that’s a good rule to keep some distance from other unknown riders not knowing their riding skills either. But for those fellow riders who escaped this accident, witnessing it and dealing with the aftermath at that scene, must be extremely traumatizing!
Like Fuzzy said it’s always good to keep a distance, we put a lot of trust in other riders & cagers. In this case I don’t think these riders could’ve done anything or even saw this coming. It’s easy to hate on the driver of truck but we don’t know the circumstances yet, he could’ve lost control, had a heart attack or any other medical condition. I’m sure he didn’t go out to intentionally kill 7 people, so many lives & families affected by this, my heart goes out to them all

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
This is just horrific.....and no words can even express what I as a rider feels....especially coming off the New Glarus Ride today where we were out in the Country and with many bikes in our group........damn

RIP Brothers and OLs..........

1 - 20 of 45 Posts