Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install a 2013 Harley Factory unit on an older bike yet?

I like the new touch screen with all the bells and whistles on it and was wondering if anyone has tried to install one in a 2012 RGC....

I know there would be some modifications to the dash itself but no worries there...

I just noticed that the handlebar controls are totally different as well and wonder how hard it would be to change everything over for my bike...

Mike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The radio on the 14's will not fit in the cowling of older bikes. not enough room. One of the reasons why the 14's cowling was redesigned.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has anyone tried to install a 2013 Harley Factory unit on an older bike yet?

I like the new touch screen with all the bells and whistles on it and was wondering if anyone has tried to install one in a 2012 RGC....

I know there would be some modifications to the dash itself but no worries there...

I just noticed that the handlebar controls are totally different as well and wonder how hard it would be to change everything over for my bike...

Mike.
I think you got the 13 and 14s confused. 14 has the new radio.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I know that the 14 has the new large radio. I am going to fabricate a new dash for my bike and put one of the new touchscreen radios in it.

My question is has anyone already tried this? If so do you have a part list of the items needed to connect it all up?

I know there is some audio guru out there that has thought about this already....

Mike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What wrayzor was saying is that 2013 is the same Harmon Kardon as before. The 2014 has the touchscreen infotainment system. Anything is possible...I just think molding in a double din radio bezel from fairung factory or others would be more cost effective. The new bar wiring which controls all radio and electronics is a Can-bus system and each handlebar control now only has a handful of wires running (makes ape wiring a cakewalk). Each button on 2014 have a microprocessor behind each and that would be kinda hairy wiring in. Like I said though..anything is possible..just not always cost effective. A good diubke din with flip and nav can be found considerably cheaper nowadays, factor in Hawgwired wiring adapter for it and the body and paint work to mold a double din bezel...I think you would still be ahead of the game as far as price. Good luck...just .02 let us know what u decide.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts