Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking out the "New Arrivals" on Harley's website, I noticed they now have a "Heavy Synthetic 80w-140 Gear Oil" approved for '84 and later transmissions and primary chaincase applications. I was under the impression that you should never use a gear oil in the primary. Am I correct? Is HD recommending a product that is unsafe for the primary?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
While checking out the "New Arrivals" on Harley's website, I noticed they now have a "Heavy Synthetic 80w-140 Gear Oil" approved for '84 and later transmissions and primary chaincase applications. I was under the impression that you should never use a gear oil in the primary. Am I correct? Is HD recommending a product that is unsafe for the primary?
It appears that they had something formulated for both applications so you could bet that this would not work in trucks like the gear oil that others have been using in their HD tranny's. Most likely a completely different gear oil. I will see if I can locate a spec sheet and compare it to other gear oils.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this gear oil is primary safe, it might be the answer for those of us who have the transfer issue but don't want to use 20/50 in the tranny.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gear Oil

Putting heavy gear oil in the trans does not stop the transfer to the primary. I changed over to 75W140 at a 1000 miles and it did not stop it. Harley is paying for the cure on my bike...it is in the shop for that now.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Putting heavy gear oil in the trans does not stop the transfer to the primary. I changed over to 75W140 at a 1000 miles and it did not stop it. Harley is paying for the cure on my bike...it is in the shop for that now.

Lol! No one is saying that it will stop the transfer. What we are saying is, if we have the transfer we would rather have a fluid get in the primary that is rated for the primary. :wink:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I heard people using same in all 3 holes explain why they would vs correct weights ect for each hole?
gear oil viscosity is measured differently than engine oil. as far as viscosity is concerned, they are roughly the same. what matters is the additives in each.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Macomb County Choppers has a $50 fix for the transfer issue that has been 100% effective.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RgKen already answered this but my point was, if the fluid is going to transfer, I would prefer that the transferring fluid be primary safe.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard people using same in all 3 holes explain why they would vs correct weights ect for each hole?
It is permissible to use 20/50 (Which is what Harley Syn3 is) in all three holes. People with a lot more expertise than me believe that it is better to use a gear oil in the transmission because of the additives, rather than just the correct weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello guys, I have reached 2000 km (so more than the 1000 miles) for my 2019 CVP RG and have made at local Harley the first maintenance.
Since that I have a strange noise, like a breath noise or wind tunnel noise when I decelerate (could be also when I accelerate, but with the noise of the pipes I do not hear it)
At Harley they said it's due to the tension of the primary that has been adjusted.
They also claim to have put the SE syn3 in the 3 holes (like recommended in service manual)
I saw here there a lot of discussions about using the same oil for all sections...

My grey garage told me the noise is coming from the incorrect usage of the syn3 in the primary.
Also found on internet some topics about this syn3 oil leading to some noise.

Have anyone already suffered this ?

I will probably plan to remove all oils and replace by correct Lucas one...

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the feedback I got to my grey and ask him to throw away the syn3 HD oil out of my transmission and gear.
Replaced by Lucas oil for transmission and for gear (2 different) and everything goes back to normal. No more noise
Will never made any maintenance at HD dealers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts