Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well wouldn't you know that after changing my seat to one that pushes me two inches back, that I'd be reaching for the bars. So my legs now had the room they need and I wasn't sitting on the tank anymore, but I'd get a burning pain in the middle of my back/shoulder blades after about 30 mins.

I'm 6'3" with a long torso/arms, but on the stock seat the OEM bars on my '15 RGS were great for me. I have a bad shoulder and the idea of ape hangers never appealed to me despite hearing the constant rhetoric that "big guys need big bars". Bullshit - everybody is different and has a different idea of comfort. Even though 2" back in the saddle doesn't sound like a lot, it is a WORLD of difference. Enter the HD Tallboy bars. Same profile/shape as the stock bars on my '15, but with a 12" rise instead of 9" OEM.

With the help of a neighbor, we were able to install them yesterday in about 3 hours. About half of that was jacking around with de-pinning that stupid Molex connector :mad: and re-pinning it. I think I went through about 6 paper clips and every curse word I know. Besides that, it was easy peasy!

Anyways, I think they look good and they feel SO much better! The weather sucks, so I won't be able to test them for awhile, but I will report back when I get the chance.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did the same thing, got a Mustang seat that pushed me about two inches back and I’m only 5’10” so I felt like I was really reaching for the bars. Installed the Tall Boys and all is well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks great, I'm glad I bought the de-pinning tool because I constant see the same complaint about the damn paper clips. It was worth the 8 bucks. At least it's done and you didn't pay the ridiculous fee's the Dealership would have charged to change the bars out. I agree comfort is individualized

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
How's the width feel? I have the same seat and am not happy with the bars either, looking at those or the Yaffee 12", because I didn't want the width to get out there much beyond stock. Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How's the width feel? I have the same seat and am not happy with the bars either, looking at those or the Yaffee 12", because I didn't want the width to get out there much beyond stock. Thanks for the pics
Honestly, it feels exactly like the stock bars but higher. I am planning to give them a good test this week/weekend, and can report back.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I installed the Tall Boy as well, very pleased with them......

·
Registered
453 Posts
Interesting, I’ve been eyeballing them recently myself. I changed to road6 11” standards only to find out that they are simply too far away and have no little wrist angle for my tastes. Didn’t really notice until I changed jobs and have an hour commute each way, now I REALLY notice it. Haven’t had many long runs since I put them on last summer.

I’m thinking of going to the tall boy because the wrist angle wasn’t really that bad... could I trouble you to post a pic from behind the bike with the bars straight? Might give me the look I need to compare what I have to the tall boys.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well wouldn't you know that after changing my seat to one that pushes me two inches back, that I'd be reaching for the bars. So my legs now had the room they need and I wasn't sitting on the tank anymore, but I'd get a burning pain in the middle of my back/shoulder blades after about 30 mins.

I'm 6'3" with a long torso/arms, but on the stock seat the OEM bars on my '15 RGS were great for me. I have a bad shoulder and the idea of ape hangers never appealed to me despite hearing the constant rhetoric that "big guys need big bars". Bullshit - everybody is different and has a different idea of comfort. Even though 2" back in the saddle doesn't sound like a lot, it is a WORLD of difference. Enter the HD Tallboy bars. Same profile/shape as the stock bars on my '15, but with a 12" rise instead of 9" OEM.

With the help of a neighbor, we were able to install them yesterday in about 3 hours. About half of that was jacking around with de-pinning that stupid Molex connector :mad: and re-pinning it. I think I went through about 6 paper clips and every curse word I know. Besides that, it was easy peasy!

Anyways, I think they look good and they feel SO much better! The weather sucks, so I won't be able to test them for awhile, but I will report back when I get the chance.
I was doubting between the HD Tall Boy and the HD Fat Ape bars. At the end the Tall boy bars have the same height ish than the stock ones (RGU stock bars are about 11") but broader. So I went for the HD Fat Apes 15" tall. Really happy with them too. I have the HD Tall Boyt Seat (much worst than your Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs one, but good enough for me). I also have the CVO Seat in Vinyl with a fabolous back rest I've just boght from CVO Backrest).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting, I’ve been eyeballing them recently myself. I changed to road6 11” standards only to find out that they are simply too far away and have no little wrist angle for my tastes. Didn’t really notice until I changed jobs and have an hour commute each way, now I REALLY notice it. Haven’t had many long runs since I put them on last summer.

I’m thinking of going to the tall boy because the wrist angle wasn’t really that bad... could I trouble you to post a pic from behind the bike with the bars straight? Might give me the look I need to compare what I have to the tall boys.
Hopefully these help.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks great, I'm glad I bought the de-pinning tool because I constant see the same complaint about the damn paper clips. It was worth the 8 bucks. At least it's done and you didn't pay the ridiculous fee's the Dealership would have charged to change the bars out. I agree comfort is individualized
Where can I pick up the de-pinning tool for $8?

·
Registered
453 Posts

Hopefully these help.
Thanks bro, those help a ton! Cheers sir!

I am really leaning towards them at this point, they have a little more pull back than I wanted but everything else is spot on. I think I will swing by the dealer and sit on an ultra this weekend, they are pretty close in size and should give me a better idea if they will work for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts