Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 RGS with the add on wired headset plug from HD. I am going to get the blue tooth setup from HD to go wireless. My question is: Does the plugin for the wireless module use the same plugin location as the wired setup? The reason I ask, when installing the wired setup, one adds a ground wire to an existing open port on a plug on the back left upper (facing the bike with fairing off) infotainment unit.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I can't answer your question for certain, because I don't know where the add on wired harness plugs in on a special.

I posted a pic of the install in another thread that might help you, though.

Check out arrow #3 in the attached pic, that's where the Wireless Module (WHIM) plugs in.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just a heads-up, in case you didn't know, it is reported that only the Harley bluetooth headsets play music in stereo. The Sena-branded sets do not, according to what I have read.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had heard that as well, not sure if that’s accurate but that’s what I heard.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A friend recently purchased a 2018 CVO Limited. He is currently riding across the country with a group. The bike came with the WHIM and either had the CB or he added the CB. The CVO also comes with a pair of H-D branded Sena 20s headsets. He said he is disappointed in the battery life. He is only getting about 4hrs of riding on a charge. If he remembers to turn them off at rest stops, refueling, and lunch he thought that might get him to 6hrs.

You can plug them in to charge the battery while in use though. Just means you are back to having a cord connected. This was one concern of mine when doing long rides with groups.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, if I go this route, I will not be using the HD branded headsets. I understand they may have some advantages, but I will go with aftermarket brand.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Just a heads-up, in case you didn't know, it is reported that only the Harley bluetooth headsets play music in stereo. The Sena-branded sets do not, according to what I have read.
That's not been my experience. I'm running the non-HD branded Sena 20S units and they play in stereo. I think those were just BS reports from the 'other' forum.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
A friend recently purchased a 2018 CVO Limited. He is currently riding across the country with a group. The bike came with the WHIM and either had the CB or he added the CB. The CVO also comes with a pair of H-D branded Sena 20s headsets. He said he is disappointed in the battery life. He is only getting about 4hrs of riding on a charge. If he remembers to turn them off at rest stops, refueling, and lunch he thought that might get him to 6hrs.

You can plug them in to charge the battery while in use though. Just means you are back to having a cord connected. This was one concern of mine when doing long rides with groups.
My experience with the 20s (non-HD branded) has been that I get about a day and a half of riding on a charge. I only know this because I forgot to charge them one night and figured I could stretch it to two days. I couldn't.

As long as I've charged them each night, I've been good to go. I've never used them with the CB, though... maybe that drains the battery quicker?

Cheers. -Jay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Schuberth SRC

I added wired connection to my RGS a little over a month ago. I run JM headset in my helmet - I have Schuberth SRC helmet and was wondering if their wireless headset would work with new HD set up.
No CVO's at my dealer and they did not seem too familiar with other than HD products. So I was hoping someone here could offer insight.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
475 Posts
On my RGU I ride the sena only 20S with the freewire and it plays stereo

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I added wired connection to my RGS a little over a month ago. I run JM headset in my helmet - I have Schuberth SRC helmet and was wondering if their wireless headset would work with new HD set up.
No CVO's at my dealer and they did not seem too familiar with other than HD products. So I was hoping someone here could offer insight.
Thanks for any advice.
The HD blue tooth setup uses the A2Dp operating system per the parts manual/J&M uses the same operating system per their web site. I called J&M and they told me it works. If you are referring to a Schuberth blue tooth set up(I do not know anything about Schuberth or their products), just check their website or give them a call. Hopefully I understood your question.

Also, I talked to a tech yesterday that just got back from a 3 day class on HD's Infotainment setup. The tech stated it is important that the flash be done after HD's blue tooth module is installed. I have read that someone stated they did the flash first and than the install and it worked. Since one has to have a flash done anyway, for me I will wait until after I get the module is installed, which I am going to do myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks - I am going to the dealer today - see if someone there knows. My JM is wired in one helmet - I have Schuberth modular that has SRC. I appreciate your response. I will update if I hear anything today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts