Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the latest "Cycle World" mag and Harley bought the back cover - typically a very expensive ad placement. The ad features what I'd guess to be a 20/30-something year old female rider with her blond hair flowing out the back of her helmet. The headline is, "Electrifying the Urban Grid." In small type it says, "Experience the LiveWire and bolt into the electric future - a future that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds with a twist of the throttle. No clutch, no shifting, just pure exhilaration." That's the whole ad.

As a former marketing manager, I always take notice of the key elements of such advertisements. Based on this full page picture ad, it appears that HD feels that young women are potentially buyers of the LiveWire. Really? I certainly wouldn't have guessed that young ladies are a significant targeted market segment who will consider a LiveWire over other models. The ad goes on to say, " ..... No clutch, no shifting, just pure exhilaration." Hmmm. So the inference here is that women can't (or won't) buy/ride a bike with a clutch and standard transmission. The 2-3 female riders I know personally would be offended by that obviously sexist inference.

I just shake my head and wonder what they're thinking in Milwaukee.

·
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd suggest that doing a review doesn't cost anything, but shelling out $30k for the bike is a whole different kettle of fish. KS - do you really think that 20-something females were a significant targeted market segment when they designed this bike? I don't see it but I've been surprised before.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd suggest that doing a review doesn't cost anything, but shelling out $30k for the bike is a whole different kettle of fish. KS - do you really think that 20-something females were a significant targeted market segment when they designed this bike? I don't see it but I've been surprised before.
The thing about the Live Wire and the CVO trikes are for people who can afford it easily. That being said it’s not for a typical 20 year old male or female but I get your point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
The thing about the Live Wire and the CVO trikes are for people who can afford it easily. That being said it’s not for a typical 20 year old male or female but I get your point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't see peeps that can afford them easily, even buying motorcycles. At least on a level where they were worth making in the first place.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't see peeps that can afford them easily, even buying motorcycles. At least on a level where they were worth making in the first place.
I think the price is too high too ! We had been waiting for the release of it and when they announced it everyone was disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
I think the price is too high too ! We had been waiting for the release of it and when they announced it everyone was disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of the electric bike and would like one, but I definitely won't pay 30 K for one. I got to ride the prototype stationery Live wire in 2014 in Sturgis. Thought it was very cool.
I just don't think it targets many riders at that price and low mileage runs . People who do have that type of money, don't seem to ride any type of MC in general.

·
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Despite being one of HD's highest volume dealers, my local dealer didn't buy into the LiveWire program, but the next closest dealer did. They still have 3 of them sitting on the floor unsold. I'm curious if they're selling in other parts of the country. I've yet to see one on the road. At $30k with a range of 75-120 miles, I'll stick with my fossil fuel burning 48 mpg Road Glide. I'm not against BEVs, quite the contrary as they ae the long tern future of both 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles. I may be premature, but I'm filing the LiveWire in the same file as the V-Rod, Buell, MV Augusta, the Street, and many other failed makes or models in recent years. Another expensive project headed for the "dead" file. HD is drinking too much of their own Kool Aid, thinking that because they now classify themselves as a "premium brand", they think they can sell a $20k bike for $30k because it says HD on it.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
If I could trade my RG even for one I might just do it. My wife doesn't ride anymore. Day after day touring is no more. The ability to take a fun twisty road ride after supper without having to stop at a gas station is appealing. The bike was a hoot to ride, that is for sure.

But I know that is not going to happen.

An acquaintance riding with me in the mountains this week was on a KTM Super Duke GT with 170 HP and top tier everything, and that bike is $20k. The livewire's price needs to be here to be competitive.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As electric motorcycles go, I think the Livewire is top shelf.

But, I also think the market for top shelf electrics is pretty small. And by the time the market matures, technological advances will have made the Livewire some what dated.

IMHO, the MoCo should take that scooter and trim it to the bone. Then put some pelican cases on it and make it into an urban commuter. Something the hipsters can embrace. Smaller battery and motor to start, cheaper suspension/tires. Set it up as a two person bench seat and then just add the basic electronics it needs to operate. Put the bells and whistles into a phone app. Seriously, it would need to sell for around $6000 if its going to entice today's urban working people.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Despite being one of HD's highest volume dealers, my local dealer didn't buy into the LiveWire program, but the next closest dealer did. They still have 3 of them sitting on the floor unsold. I'm curious if they're selling in other parts of the country. I've yet to see one on the road. At $30k with a range of 75-120 miles, I'll stick with my fossil fuel burning 48 mpg Road Glide. I'm not against BEVs, quite the contrary as they ae the long tern future of both 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles. I may be premature, but I'm filing the LiveWire in the same file as the V-Rod, Buell, MV Augusta, the Street, and many other failed makes or models in recent years. Another expensive project headed for the "dead" file. HD is drinking too much of their own Kool Aid, thinking that because they now classify themselves as a "premium brand", they think they can sell a $20k bike for $30k because it says HD on it.
They've been selling us overpriced RGs for years. Then we have to pay the Harley Tax to make the RG the bike it should be. If the LW had been priced around 20k if would be a perfect 2nd bike for riders of any brand that ride heavy touring bikes.

·
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A $20k price point also would have expanded their market share with the under 40 crowd, male and female. At $20k I think they would have sold a respectable number of units. There's enough of them on show room floors that they might end up selling for $20k if you wait another 6-12 months.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
A $20k price point also would have expanded their market share with the under 40 crowd, male and female. At $20k I think they would have sold a respectable number of units. There's enough of them on show room floors that they might end up selling for $20k if you wait another 6-12 months.
The way the moco thinks, they'll just slow production on the Live wire and raise the price.

·
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not convinced that they'll have to make another production run of those, from what little I've seen it doesn't appear that they're selling well. Has your local dealer sold any?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not convinced that they'll have to make another production run of those, from what little I've seen it doesn't appear that they're selling well. Has your local dealer sold any?
Wall Street was forecasting sales of 500 to 1500 for the first year before they were released. Looks like they will come in on the low end. Actual sales so far are around 350 from what I've seen on different websites. My dealer has only sold two of six bikes ordered. So looks like the dealers were not expecting very many sales either. There are only 150 Livewire dealers and let's say each ordered 6 bikes that's only 900 bikes. I do know 500 have been built as the number 500 Livewire is being auctioned off for coronavirus relief. The auction ends May 26 and the current bid s at $48k.

The big question is not if the Livewire will remain in production but if the MoCo will survive another decade! The whole motorcycle industry is in a downturn and HD more so of the major manufacturers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts