Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Ok, so it says that the 16's will be at Sturgis on 7/31 ??? I thought the dealer meeting wasn't until end of August this year ? Anybody ??? flhman
Yeah that used to be the old tradition that they kinda got away from, although they did have a fleet of new '15 Road Glides there last year to test ride. Maybe it's got something to do with the new Harley/Sturgis commitment(as if that was needed) and they're gonna start doing it again.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,789 Posts
......... Bingo !
Yup. I'm guessing that Indian/Victory is forcing their hand to get back to the old schedule of debuting new products and bikes at Sturgis. Seems like common sense to me. Why not debut the new stuff at the world's largest rally where they can really get perspective buyers all fired up to go home and order something ... As long as they get the information about the 2016s to their dealers by Sturgis time.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
If they do in fact have the 2016s in Sturgis I'd say it has more to do with their deal as the official scooter than any pressure from Indian. You gotta sell a whole lot more product to be able to exert any pressure.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If they do in fact have the 2016s in Sturgis I'd say it has more to do with their deal as the official scooter than any pressure from Indian. You gotta sell a whole lot more product to be able to exert any pressure.
Not so sure I'd agree P. Seems with all of the quality control issues plaguing the MOCO these days, and the great press Victory and Indian are getting on their new bikes, Harley is finally going to have a legit competitor. I think it is sound marketing strategy to unveil their new offerings at the same time as the other makers, unless their products are seen as inferior in comparison, then it just might bite 'em in the a$$.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I kind of figure it has more to do with Harley signing the contract with Sturgis and are building a convention type center to show their bikes in Sturgis. Makes good sense to start it this year with 1.2 million people expected and venders getting 3 week permits this year. Going to be crazy for sure.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
At a recent rally I test rode both Indian & Victory and came away unimpressed... especially with the Indian.

Frankly, I expected more from the Indian (Chieftan) given what I've read. It ran pretty hot, and while the acceleration was smooth, it felt like there should be more torque.

I'll admit that my expectations were lower for the Victory (Cross Country Tour) and it fell short of that. It just didn't seem all that refined. The transmission wasn't very smooth and the power was lacking.

I do think it's a good move if H-D does bring the new lineup to South Dakota, but not to keep up with the Joneses. It's the other way around from my viewpoint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.