Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking over from ONG with the BOTM . There is new contact info in the submission thread with a couple rules changes ..

Looking at a few other changes as well

How would you guys feel about going back and voting on a shark of the quarter for each three month period , then the four quarters having a vote for Shark of the Year ??

The quarter and year winners would get the quarter or year added under their rank

at the moment would be for bragging rights only

JtB

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't see any reason not to. At the very least, we should have a shark of the year chosen from the monthly winners. Having quarterly winners just makes it easier.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It makes sense to me but then I have been a little crazy all my life.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
How about several categories for Shark of the Year? Like: Stock, Stock modified, Other bikes converted to Sharks, and "Are you sure that's a Road Glide?" (extreme custom).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I'm taking over from ONG with the BOTM . There is new contact info in the submission thread with a couple rules changes ..
Looking at a few other changes as well
How would you guys feel about going back and voting on a shark of the quarter for each three month period , then the four quarters having a vote for Shark of the Year ??
The quarter and year winners would get the quarter or year added under their rank
at the moment would be for bragging rights only

We like you but sometimes don't understand what you're sayin:D .. Display SWIII bike group photo or take a shot of all the runner ups per/mo and the winner enlarged in the center circle of the calander mo. ea mo.........

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
'splain your idea of the Hall of Fame , Lax ..

I'm here to hear what you guys have to say

JtB
I just think that there are some bikes that automatically come to most of our minds that have been long time members. Lymey, Dedhd, GB. The hard work and craftsmanship on them stand out even among the forum of beautiful bikes. Maybe from here on out all Bikes of the year or quarter, could be in a seperate picture only thread.....or RG.org hall of fame. I don't know just spitballin some ideas. I'm sure you would have to have some criteria, but honestly im not that smart.;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I like all of the ideas especially the RG.org hall of fame. We do have some outstanding bikes, as mentioned, but it could be expanded to include other areas as well. I will give you an example - Shrug. We all know that Shrug's ride, Hester, is no trailer queen or show bike but how many of us have watched his Alaskapade video multiple times? I'd say Shrug and Hester are RG.org hall of fame candidates even though she ain't as purty as Lymey. No disrespect intended Shrug.
Members could nominate other members and provide reasons why they feel a person should be given the honor and then the rest of the forum could vote on it.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts
How about making a description of mods done to your bike be part of the voting process instead of just a visual vote.
+ 1 on this idea. I have a few possible suggestions but they woud require some changes from what we do now. Try this on to see how you like it.

Move to quarterly winners with 3 categories:
1 - "Stock Class" - Fairing, tank, side panels, and rear fender and saddlebags must be stock OE units. Paint, graphics, pinstriping , and other paint mods are allowed. Must have stock frame and all stock fork dimensions. No rake or trail modifications allowed. Front wheel not to exceed 21". Motor can be modified but must be based on a stock Twin Cam 'block' and transmisison case. All other mods allowed.

2 - "Modified" or "Mild Custom" Class - allows only stock frames and stock neck rake and trail dimensions. No cutting or welding on any part of the frame or neck. Raked trees permitted. Altered or replacement bodywork paint and mechanical alterations are allowed. Maximum 23" front wheel

3. "Full Custom" or "Radical" - Anything goes

4. Because they represent a very small, but still important, part of our bikes' heritage, I propose we also have a 4th class with just once a year competition and voting. That would be all the pre-Road Glide models called Tour Glides (1979 thru 1987).

A bike can be submitted twice in the same class only if it does not win the first time. Once a class winner, bike cannot be submitted again unless it moves into a higher class.

This way both you (JTB) and the membership only have to deal with putting this together 4 times a year. Three classes ensures that even stock bikes with just a few tasteful changes/additions has a chance to be recognized, and that we don't have $50k full customs up against stock style bikes.

A "bike of the year" is chosen from among the 4 quarterly winners in each class, in effect creating 3 BOTYs.

Those 3 BOTYs could become the "Hall of Fame Inductees" for that year. We establish a second subforum located under the current BOTY subforum that would be called the "National Road Glide Hall of Fame". While the "National" designation might seem a bit of a stretch, at leats we would have set the precedent and no one else could use that tittle.

And yes, members are allowed to submit a 700 word story about their bike that can include a story about the bike, how you got it, etc. It can also include info on any modifications made to the bike. Must include year, make, and model of the bike as it left the factory.

I haven't given this a lot of thought, just off the top of my head, but perhaps there's an idea or two here that can be used. Something like this process (subject to review and possible changes) just sounds like an easy to understand base of simple rules that gives all members of the forum a chance to compete and be proud of their bikes, regardless of budget.

Sorry this is so long. I like the current monthly contest but think it can be made more interesting and accessible for ALL our members to participate if they chose.

Make the competition for the BOTY run from July through June, thereby allowing plenty of time to put together, sell, and distribute the calendar.

Give members the last 15 days of the qtr. to vote for whatever bikes are competing. Entries must be recieved 30 days prior to that quarter's competition. Any submitted after that would go into the next qtr.'s contest.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about several categories for Shark of the Year? Like: Stock, Stock modified, Other bikes converted to Sharks, and "Are you sure that's a Road Glide?" (extreme custom).
Correct me if I am wrong please , but IIRC , this was tried early on here , and got kind of confusing keeping up with it

JtB

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just think that there are some bikes that automatically come to most of our minds that have been long time members. Lymey, Dedhd, GB. The hard work and craftsmanship on them stand out even among the forum of beautiful bikes. Maybe from here on out all Bikes of the year or quarter, could be in a seperate picture only thread.....or RG.org hall of fame. I don't know just spitballin some ideas. I'm sure you would have to have some criteria, but honestly im not that smart.;)
MY OPINION ONLY

To me a Hall of Fame would be like a lifetime achievement award , where one has maintained a high level of success for a long period of time , in a manner that would be considered by ones peers as a cut above the rest ..

Bringing that into the context of the forum , I would venture to say that a Hall of Fame is not for "show bikes" ..

I would argue the point that if there were a Hall of Fame here , it would be for a rider and bike that have together done something a bit beyond the ordinary , and documentation to back it up ..

And in that context , if it were up to me , there would only be one member at the moment ..

Shrug and Hester

JtB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts