Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys n Gals !

Just picked up and brand spankin new RG last week and stuck 600 miles up it's pipe...So far so good "BUT" I got a couple things that might sound familier. I've been ridin Hogs for lota years my last new one is a 05 Wide Glide with 65000 miles on it and it has never broke down or broke into, motor wise, great Bike !!!

Road glide is a stiff MOFO !! It is the Non Special ( didn't want GPS )
This is my first Throttle by wire bike so I attribute maybe some of the quirks to this ? When I hit bumps in the road the bike jerks and I can hear the drive train slap and it's (The Throttle)pretty touchy (I can hear it because I still have stock pipes) but it is pretty "slappy". Normal ?
When I also hit bumps, and there is a lot here on the North Oregon coast I tend to hear something loose or like a flopping sound but hell if I can find anything loose anywhere, Just throwing that out there incase it might sound familier to someone, sounds like it comes from the back of the bike. Spose it could be the little tool flopping around in the saddle bag eh? Just thought of it as I was typing.
The Bike is great, Corners like it's on rails but like I said the suspension could use some tweaking but Man do I dig that 103 HO Motor...Think i'll give the Boys at Trask Turbo a call, I hear they got the hook up !!! Piece out brothers and Sisters !! Riding is My Church !!!!

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,630 Posts
Welcome to the forum from SoCal. Can't address your issues (but HD suspension is not that good, so that could account for a lot), but still know that you are on the best scoot available.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Welcome from Fort Mill, SC. Getting my bike tuned by Doc eliminated my slight throttle hesitation. My JRI suspension fixed the issue with bad roads. If it feels a little loose in the front end, have the dealership tighten steering head nut.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I do not have a 2014 or 2015 but I have been to the Test Our Metal demo rides and a also found that the newer touring bikes have some sort of driveline lash or slappy feeling. I kind of think that if I owned one I may get used to the throttle sensitivity and that slappy lashy feeling would go away. And oh ya that HO 103 has a tonne of torque.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I take it the jerkyness is just you bumping the throttle when hitting bumps. The tbw is pretty touchy. Normal. The HD air shocks are not the best tho. Enjoy your glide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya Thanks Guys ! i'll check that cross over "MW" Thanks for the tip on that !! GRAMBO I think you felt what i've been feeling with the Slapping of the drivetrain, I'm sure i'll get it dialed in by the time I roll over 100k miles on it...JRI ? Never heard of em, Be chaeckin it out !!

·
Registered
2015 RGS
295 Posts
Also coming from an older Harley with better shocks and no ABS here is what I noticed with the newer ABS bikes.

When riding over bad patches of road with these newer short shock RGs the bike will quickly bottom out and if you are braking at the same time, the ABS engages, which will make a clunking sound.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drive belt !! Right on I'll look into that one as well. Thanks for all the welcome posts I hope to be Hangin and Bangin in the forums here and swapping good story's..Taken it out for a putt down to Mt.Shasta for four days, that'll break it in just right !! Lets just see what this bad boyz all about !!! :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did you trace down your clunk? I noticed this on mine when I took it out for its first ride. It was the multitool doing the disco in the saddlebag ;)
I had the exact same issue on my new RGS. Took me a little while to pinpoint the exact cause, but that was it - a tool in the saddlebag that I thought I had compressed down enough to keep from jumping around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.