Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok All,

I will be retiring in Sept of this year 2015. The following July (2016)I hope to make the ride of my dreams. The ride will be from New Jersey to Alaska.

I have always wanted to make this cross country trip and now will have the time and money to do so.

Has anyone here ever made the trip from Washington State to Alaska via the Alaskan Hwy ? This is the only part of the trip I really have any questions on as I have never rode this section of road before in my life.

I have been looking over and reading the Milepost web site but would like to get some first hand knowledge of this highway.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You-Tube has all kinds of video's and photos. Also Adventure rider forum has lots of blogs with photo's.

+1 on advrider.com

Deadhorse and dipping my feet on the Arctic ocean is on my bucket list. Halfway between Canada and Alaska you ride more in dirt roads than asphalt.

My plan is to do this on a GSA in 7 years, but others have done it on Harleys.

Do lots of research and buy lots of deet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Road both the Cassiar Highway and the Alaska Highway last year on our Alaska trip. I enjoyed the Cassiar Highwas much more than the Alaskan. I would take the Cassiar up and the Alaskan Highway back down. Both are completely paved. I would think very hard about having new tires put on in Alaska or the far north somewhere. Northern Canada and Alaska roads use a much coarser rock on their asphalt surface and it eats tires alive. After a 6,000 mile trip last year my tires have had it. Takes the tire life and cuts it in half.

Later,

1BadGlide

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
A member on this forum did ,Srug . Check out Alaskapade2011.com

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Road both the Cassiar Highway and the Alaska Highway last year on our Alaska trip. I enjoyed the Cassiar Highwas much more than the Alaskan. I would take the Cassiar up and the Alaskan Highway back down. Both are completely paved. I would think very hard about having new tires put on in Alaska or the far north somewhere. Northern Canada and Alaska roads use a much coarser rock on their asphalt surface and it eats tires alive. After a 6,000 mile trip last year my tires have had it. Takes the tire life and cuts it in half.

Later,

1BadGlide
+1 1BadGlide.
The Cassiar is a great ride, although there are some unpaved sections. I rode it down from Alaska, catching it on the ALCAN just west of Watson Lake.

I caught the ALCAN up to Alaska from Hinton, Alberta. I recommend definitely riding both to get the full experience. I'm told the roads are in far better condition now than when I rode them in 2011.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Alaska 2016

I can't speak for Boots, but as for my trip approximately 13,700 miles. As per Milepost, I plan to take the Eastern Route up to Alaska, use Anchorage as a base camp for day trips (3 different day trips planned); the Western Route back to Vancouver; cross over into Washington State and take 101 through Washington and Oregon, and Highway 1 in California to Sacramento. Then take US-50 from Sacramento to Ocean City Maryland; then back up to Jersey. Allocating 2 months for the trip. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I too will be retired. I have a complete itinerary planned out if anyone is interested on doing a similar Road Trip.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Boots, my brother took this trip last year on his road glide from NY after he retired from NYPD. I think he went up thru Montana and came down thru Washington state. I would avoid going to arctic circle on your bike if your thinking of it due to all calcium chloride they lay down, the clay/mud is very hard to get off. A lot of people take this trip on rentals due to the beating the bike gets and the roads are gonna chew up your tires. Good luck on your trip.
I'm trying to get my brother to sign up to the forum, he could tell you a lot about this trip including pictures etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been rethinking my trip to Alaska on my Road Glide. I have been looking at the BMW R1200gs and also the Triumph Explorer xc.

I am very anal on the care of my bikes and was looking at the BMW and Triumph because of the "don't care a lot about them" attitude I would have for them.

Thought I would buy a two or three year old model and then resale it after the trip...... Just not sure what I am doing yet with the bike. But the trip is still on without a doubt..........

Wingman05, I think we need to talk. :)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I know two guys who did that , bought two BMWs and sold em as soon as trip was over. Its a good move if you don't want to worry about going on certain roads. Even a Ulysses would be a good bike for that ride

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been rethinking my trip to Alaska on my Road Glide. I have been looking at the BMW R1200gs and also the Triumph Explorer xc.

I am very anal on the care of my bikes and was looking at the BMW and Triumph because of the "don't care a lot about them" attitude I would have for them.

Thought I would buy a two or three year old model and then resale it after the trip...... Just not sure what I am doing yet with the bike. But the trip is still on without a doubt..........

Wingman05, I think we need to talk. :)
Boots:

I did the trip last year on a Triumph Explorer from Rochester, NY. I will be going again sometime in 2016, hopefully with my brother-in-law. Do your research, make sure you have the right gear and it will be a trip you will continually talk about. I created a Facebook page for my family to follow. Take a look. https://www.facebook.com/alaskatrip2014 I did many things right and some things wrong. I can't wait to do it again! Alaska fascinates me but the ride through Canada is equally amazing! Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts