Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a couple threads on vent screens.
Seems some have figured out the part number at Amazon.
I got playing around on youtube and found this video.
These screen would work here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kcyDxJoJI8

I like the look.
The K&N part number is HD-1717
Question...would this be considered a Stage 1 ?
Would a tune need to be done for this if you have VH slip-ons?
Do you think the DIY that he has done will be effective?
Is this all you would need or would you also need a backing plate like the ones from S&S and Fuel Moto
https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=HD-1717

You thoughts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You shouldn’t need a tune if you only did slip on’s And the air cleaner.

If you add headers to your bike, thus removing the cat, then you will need a fuel management system.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would look better with a black screen.
I agree with you PSU if it were blacked out like your bike.
Then yes painting the screen black would definitely look sharp. :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I. Would think a tune would be needed if its a highflow filter. The motor is getting more air.

Though i didn't watch the video so I have no clue whats going on. Now... where's my Jack & Coke

·
Registered
197 Posts
This looks really good. However I dont know if its actually going to be better. I know the K&N with more surface will flow better, but by opening the bottom of the box, air can now flow through the front and out the bottom rather than being forced in. I think I would skip opening the bottom of the box.

It might flow better on a dyno, but not on the road.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just finished doing your mod to the breather box. I think it turned out great. Everyone at the dealership was impressed with the looks.
arkieglide, did you paint your air box gloss black after cutting in the new screen? If so, what did you use? Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
arkieglide where did you get the matching screen from?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I applaud your inventiveness and the nice craftsmanship of your finished design, but I agree with Kaptkaos, the design reduces the RAM AIR effect of the closed stock air box. I realize there are plenty of guys running completely exposed filter element air cleaners, so I am not saying your design is harmful at all, especially since the K&N filter is larger than stock. It's just my opinion that the K&N filter in a stock closed air box would produce a greater Ram effect into the induction module. If nothing more than Stage 1 mods are done the difference is probably small but going to higher displacement engine work requiring greater air flow could be detrimental. Only the your Dyno man knows for sure.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I applaud your inventiveness and the nice craftsmanship of your finished design, but I agree with Kaptkaos, the design reduces the RAM AIR effect of the closed stock air box. I realize there are plenty of guys running completely exposed filter element air cleaners, so I am not saying your design is harmful at all, especially since the K&N filter is larger than stock. It's just my opinion that the K&N filter in a stock closed air box would produce a greater Ram effect into the induction module. If nothing more than Stage 1 mods are done the difference is probably small but going to higher displacement engine work requiring greater air flow could be detrimental. Only the your Dyno man knows for sure.

“Ram air” effect is not so great with lowers anyway. Engine provides suction to pull air into breather. More openings in the breather provides more available air to the motor. Cutouts in the backing plate allow additional airflow to the filter also. Altogether I have 3 additional openings besides the original front one to provide maximum airflow with stock breather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great looking mod... Thx for the share. The "ram air" comments make me laugh. The airflow enters the heads and just before entering the cylinder speeds up to, what? 150 mph??? 200 mph??? Which means, unless you ride your bike at 150+ mph, and provide your stock air box with completely unobstructed flow, the "ram air" theory kind of looses it's effectiveness. People, don't be fooled by the armchair engineers here. Air (which behaves like water), believe it or not, is still subject to laws of physics.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Myself I went with Arlen Ness Big Sucker You eliminate All That Plastic Get a real Stage 1 Air Cleaner For $150 An looks good only using Stock Metal Cover,With no fussing easy bolt on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts