Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed gold pads in all 3 calipers this morning. On my way in to work the front has a bit of a squeal to it... (only under braking) This is my first touring bike and first Harley. I'm familiar with "bedding" pads on cars.. Do motorcycle pads need to have the same procedure done?

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
849 Posts
Just installed gold pads in all 3 calipers this morning. On my way in to work the front has a bit of a squeal to it... (only under braking) This is my first touring bike and first Harley. I'm familiar with "bedding" pads on cars.. Do motorcycle pads need to have the same procedure done?

Thanks

I just had Lyndall Z+ pads installed with my Agitator wheel set-up. I put a polished rotor on the rear and am getting an intermittent squeal at the end of my stop. Kinda annoying. Not sure if I can blame it on the pad, the rotor, or both. No squeals from the front though.

According to the literature that came with my pads, there was no break-in/bedding required.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you are getting a squeal use some pad lubricant on the back of the pads. You can get it any auto parts store or at the Harley dealer. That being said mine don't squeal but some people attribute this to the fact that the metal part of the pad is painted.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you are getting a squeal use some pad lubricant on the back of the pads. You can get it any auto parts store or at the Harley dealer. That being said mine don't squeal but some people attribute this to the fact that the metal part of the pad is painted.

I tried this and did nothing. Still squealing. The squealing is coming from the pad material. I can deglaze the face of the pad and the noise stops for a few miles and then comes back and that tells me that the problem lies with the pad material. I have tried to call and email with no reply. Great customer service!!!!!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I can't tell you about Lyndall, but I had Performance Machine calipers & pads on the front & rear of my FXR. The fronts squealed like Justine Bieber in jail after BUBA had his way. I'd deglaze the front & that worked for a minute. I never did solve the problem. That was the first & last time with any aftermarket brakes/pads. OEM works just fine.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
+1 on disc brake lube. I use Permatex synthetic disc brake lube and it takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts

Thanks

My rear did the same. After a few hundred miles, they seem to be quiting down.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
+1 on disc brake lube. I use Permatex synthetic disc brake lube and it takes care of the problem.
I used the brake quite on all pads and the rear still squealed a bit under braking.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I used the brake quite on all pads and the rear still squealed a bit under braking.
The rear brakes on the touring models with Brembo brakes always wanted to squeal. That is why HD now puts disc brake lube in the rear brake package when buying new back brake pads and that is why they cost more than the front brakes even though the front and back pads are the same pads.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
The rear brakes on the touring models with Brembo brakes always wanted to squeal. That is why HD now puts disc brake lube in the rear brake package when buying new back brake pads and that is why they cost more than the front brakes even though the front and back pads are the same pads.
Hell, they tossed in a caliper pin with mine when I bought them.:D

Those are sitting in the toolbox now with only 11k on them. Damn things look real good yet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They stop REALLY WELL!
Its just the front squeal that's annoying... Got caught tonight in a bit of rain... They didn't squeal.. But I didn't expect then to while wet.. I'll see what happens... Maybe this weekend, I'll pull then out and put the "lube" on the back..

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I got brake pads from D2moto for around $35 for 6 pads and they don't squeal and they stop the bike just like the OEM pads do. I guess the overpriced pads may not be worth the $$. JMO

HD pads are not cheap but at least they give you what you need to do the job including new pins and disc brake lube for the rear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I run the Z plus pads on my shark and don't remember them squealing. Maybe give them a few hundred miles and see if it stops?

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I got brake pads from D2moto for around $35 for 6 pads and they don't squeal and they stop the bike just like the OEM pads do. I guess the overpriced pads may not be worth the $$. JMO

HD pads are not cheap but at least they give you what you need to do the job including new pins and disc brake lube for the rear.
D2Moto pads here too with no squealing. I was very skeptical about using pads that cost 1/2 as much for 3 sets of pads compared to 1 set of the expensive brand or even MoCo pads. I have about 600 miles on them so far without complaints

1 - 17 of 17 Posts