Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my 13" Madstad last saturday after our last weekend of riding. I have a custom seat and use a 12" windvest with it. It looks good and works good. The c&c fastback seat is not meant for a passenger but my wife is a trooper and rode with it so I wouldn't have to change back to the stock windshield with my stock seat (her idea not mine). We rode about 200 miles and she wasn't very comfortable. I was fine with the windvest when riding solo and it worked for her on the custom seat but the seat was hard on her booty. I absolutely hate changing shields when we change seats. So I broke down and bought a Madstad. Ordered Saturday and it arrived the following Friday. I'll get the only real negative out of the way up front. I ordered a set of their well nuts and they didn't get them in the shipment. A couple of mine were cracked so I had to go pick up some at Harley. I tried the auto parts and ace hardware but neither had what I needed. I wanted something heavier than what Harley sells. 7.50 is no big deal. It just was a pain to run around. Several of the ones I had were cracked so I had to get new ones. I'll talk to Madstad on Tuesday and get it squared away. Ok now to the shield.

I am a little over 5'8" and my wife is 5'3". I can look over the 12" windvest when using the custom seat which drops me 1" and moves me back 1". I ordered the 13" Madstad. Install was easy. The adjustment is super easy. I used a clinometer app on my phone to set the angle. For the custom seat my sweet spot is about 1/2" up from the lowest point and 58 degrees. With my wife on board and using the stock seat the sweet spot is about 1 1 /2" up and 61 degrees. I can see over the shield in both spots due to the change of seats. We made some runs on a busy, windy freeway and we both felt like the wind turbulence was greatly improved. Even when running 80-110 passing or surrounded by 18 wheelers. I did order dark smoke. It looks great with the bike but I may see how a light smoke 11" works since I'm only using about half the elevation of the 13". I'm happy with the performance of the windshield. A couple of minor things I've noticed. I get a squeak in the fairing now when at idle. It seams as though the weight of the Madstad brings out a little more vibration in the fairing at idle. I did check and all the mounts are tight. I also notice an occasional whistle. If anyone has any advice on these two items I'd be happy to hear it. I really like the idea now of just adjusting the shield instead of changing it when we go for a ride and so far I think the shield performs exactly as I expected it to based on every thing I've read.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
What are you using for a seal? I just came back from a trip and my seal slipped down a little and whistled. I need to add some glue to it now.

As far as squeaking when idling it has to do with the seal and the tightness of the well nuts. If you are using the seal that comes with the madstad try using the seal from your original windshield. I've had my madstad for better than 2 years and that's what I have figured out.:D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try that. I'm using the one that came with the base. I'm going to get them to send me their well nuts on Tuesday. I think they are closed this weekend. I have the trim I bought for the widest its the cob trim. I may try that when I get the new well nuts and switch them out. The squeezing will stop if I grab the back of the fair in just outside of the glove boxes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you using for a seal? I just came back from a trip and my seal slipped down a little and whistled. I need to add some glue to it now.

As far as squeaking when idling it has to do with the seal and the tightness of the well nuts. If you are using the seal that comes with the madstad try using the seal from your original windshield. I've had my madstad for better than 2 years and that's what I have figured out.:D
Thanks. I'll try that. I'm using the one that came with the base. I'm going to get them to send me their well nuts (the ones i ordered) on Tuesday. I think they are closed this weekend. I have the trim I bought for the windvest its the cvo trim. I may try that when I get the new well nuts and switch them out. The squeaking will stop if I grab the back of the fairing just outside of the glove boxes. Its really no big deal and only occurs at idle.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I'm not running any seal. I got tired of it coming loose. I was using the oem seal on the original Madstad aluminum base.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm not running any seal. I got tired of it coming loose. I was using the oem seal on the original Madstad aluminum base.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am running the exact same thing!:p

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm running mine with the plastic base and no rubber seal. It seems to work fine and i have noticed i only get a whistle at certain angle settings so im thinking thats where it may be coming from. When i changed the angle slightly it went away.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
My stereo cancels out all whistling.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah that works great to. lol

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a follow-up. Got my wellnuts from madstad. They dropped them in the mail as soon as I spoke to them. Replaced the base with no trim using the new heavier duty well nuts. All squeaks and whistles are gone. Love the shield. I may see if they will swap me for a light grey instead of the dark smoke I have now. It works great for me but it gives me a little too much contrast when I raise it a bit for the wife. I'm still looking over it but its more in my line of sight and bugs me a bit. I love the look of the dark smoke with the black bike so I'm really on the fence. I've got about 1000 miles on the bike with this shield 70% solo 30% 2-up and absolutely love it. Wife loves it. She said she used to lean forwards to use me to block the wind (I didn't realize she was doing this) and now she can very comfortably lean back into the backrest or tourpack. We've ridden on some very windy days.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Glad to hear it. "dont use trim for base" check.. Mine should be here on friday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts