Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO FLTRUSE
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, total noob here. But, this noob is excited as hell to be joining the riding family! 47 year old married father of 4. I have a bunch of friends who ride, plus an older brother. I've never ridden a touring bike before. Had a Ninja 600R 30 years ago as an 18 year old. Road my brother's road king around the block a few times, that's it. So what do I do? I go out and buy one of the biggest bikes made from what I'm told. HA I really didn't mean to honestly. As the saying goes, here's what happened: Looking for a bike, budget around 7k, when a bike found me. Long story short, a 75 year old gentleman had bought this bike and rode it sparingly for a few years and then, as older men are want to do, he broke his hip in a fall. Never got back to the point of riding. Finally decided to sell his 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO (FLTRUSE) with 11,500 miles on it. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Here's the deal though, I'm taking it very seriously while also enjoying the new experience (and experiences to come) immensely. Took the safety course, watching tons of videos on slow speed riding, bought the ride like a pro series, getting in parking lots practicing starting, stopping, turning, with the wife on the back before even trying to ride with her. So yes, I know it wasn't the best route buying the biggest bike as my first bike, but I'm trying to do it right. I know squat about engines and stuff. Can't change the oil. But I'm a voracious reader. Last thing I want to do is go out and embarrass myself somewhere. I'm learning. I'm studying. I'm practicing. And I'm damn excited to be joining the riding family. So's the wife.

About me. Currently the head RN at a correctional facility in Texas. Former Fleet Marine Force US Navy Corpsman (that's a field medic with the Marines for those not in the know, and that's ok) Ooorah

About the bike. Please forgive if I use the wrong terminology.
2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO (FLTRUSE)
I had a quick connect put on the tour pack. Dropped over 2g's on Custom Dynamic lights in front and back. Added the sync thing where the saddle bag goes left to right when it's blinking (or vice versa). New michelin commander III's, drive belt, all new fluids, fuel pump, injectors, Klock werks 12" windshield, undercarriage light kit I control with app (don't hate, it looks cool as hell haha).
I blinked and am over 20g's in. This hobby is expensive. But I've never enjoyed spending money so much lol
Of course we didn't drop that to have a "garage queen" (i know i used that right) so we're definitely going to be putting some miles on her. We're good people and are looking to ride with the same. If any rides are put together, just know we're beginners, but not stupid and won't be doing anything stupid. Anyway, that's enough for now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great story, congrats on the find and welcome to the tank from Canada. Good choice of lighting mods if i do say so myself;)
Thinking you're also a voracious writer.
Ride safe and enjoy putting on the miles.
D97FC8CD-FC9F-4A07-9E9F-F418B2B2025B.jpeg

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice ride.

Reactions: Doc King

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,862 Posts
Nice bike you picked up and you are doing the right thing by learning how to ride it properly in a safe environment rather than fumbling around on the roads. Enjoy the ride and welcome from Canada. Oh - why did they replace the drive belt? They can last for 100k miles and usually only need replaced if torn (from a rock or something getting into the belt)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Wow! Congrats on a great return to riding & welcome from SC. Sounds like you’ve tagged all the right bases. You’re going to love the new ride. Ride safe & enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Congrats and welcome from SW Florida
That is a nice looking CVO

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Welcome. it appears you are already up to speed on spending. However the people here will help you spend more, You chose a great ride and a great forum.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
As the title says, total noob here. But, this noob is excited as hell to be joining the riding family! 47 year old married father of 4. I have a bunch of friends who ride, plus an older brother. I've never ridden a touring bike before. Had a Ninja 600R 30 years ago as an 18 year old. Road my brother's road king around the block a few times, that's it. So what do I do? I go out and buy one of the biggest bikes made from what I'm told. HA I really didn't mean to honestly. As the saying goes, here's what happened: Looking for a bike, budget around 7k, when a bike found me. Long story short, a 75 year old gentleman had bought this bike and rode it sparingly for a few years and then, as older men are want to do, he broke his hip in a fall. Never got back to the point of riding. Finally decided to sell his 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO (FLTRUSE) with 11,500 miles on it. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Here's the deal though, I'm taking it very seriously while also enjoying the new experience (and experiences to come) immensely. Took the safety course, watching tons of videos on slow speed riding, bought the ride like a pro series, getting in parking lots practicing starting, stopping, turning, with the wife on the back before even trying to ride with her. So yes, I know it wasn't the best route buying the biggest bike as my first bike, but I'm trying to do it right. I know squat about engines and stuff. Can't change the oil. But I'm a voracious reader. Last thing I want to do is go out and embarrass myself somewhere. I'm learning. I'm studying. I'm practicing. And I'm damn excited to be joining the riding family. So's the wife.

About me. Currently the head RN at a correctional facility in Texas. Former Fleet Marine Force US Navy Corpsman (that's a field medic with the Marines for those not in the know, and that's ok) Ooorah

About the bike. Please forgive if I use the wrong terminology.
2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO (FLTRUSE)
Welcome Doc King; that's a beautiful bike and I am so happy to see a fellow "classic" Screaming Eagle!
You are certainly both honest and modest, both are admirable traits. I guess it is has something to do with your background!

I have served with the armed forces of my country for many years. One of the things I have done was being a motorcycle instructor with the MPs.
I did the Motor Officer riding course at the National Police Academy – 5 weeks of intensive training!

Let me tell you right away, it is not a matter of if you drop the bike it is a matter of when ;) just learn the proper technique of pulling it up by yourself without hurting your back.

If you haven't already take a look at the videos of Jerry "Motorman" Paladino. He does a great job of teaching how to ride like a pro!

V/R

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Congrats, Welcome to the Tank from Euless and enjoy! Where about in Tejas? You may want to keep an eye on one of these.....

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Semper Fi Doc!
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The Ultra CVO.
Enjoy it Brother.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa!

That color combo is one of my favorites!
So these are expensive to modify huh? Never heard that here before. (lolol)

Take your time and enjoy it. Yes, you will screwup, but learn to enjoy it. Some people get frustrated and will not ride it anymore. Dont do that. We all here to help you get the most out of your bike (and to empty your wallet!!)

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
855 Posts
You lucked out with that find and sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Wealth of knowledge here with a variety of info sources.

Reactions: Doc King
1 - 20 of 53 Posts