Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO FLTRUSE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great story, congrats on the find and welcome to the tank from Canada. Good choice of lighting mods if i do say so myself;)
Thinking you're also a voracious writer.
Ride safe and enjoy putting on the miles.
View attachment 426450
Maaaaan! That IS a beautiful clean look huh? I'm highly satisfied with how it came out, your's too obviously lol

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice bike you picked up and you are doing the right thing by learning how to ride it properly in a safe environment rather than fumbling around on the roads. Enjoy the ride and welcome from Canada. Oh - why did they replace the drive belt? They can last for 100k miles and usually only need replaced if torn (from a rock or something getting into the belt)
Pulling out for my 2nd day of riding and the belt dropped in the driveway. Numerous theories on how. Two are at the top: microscopically dry rotted (it did sit for awhile, knew this when I purchased) OR..the original owner had just bought new tires right before he broke his hip. Thinking the belt was too tight after that and I'm told that can take a thousand or 2 miles before becoming a problem. And then it sat, and probably dry rotted to an extent. And then all of a sudden it's being ridden again. So, in the end probably a multitude of factors. Fuel pump and lines had done it but had been fixed week before. Went ahead of and had anything needing done getting done. Fork seals, breaks, tires, injectors, and every drop of fluid. Had a bore camera ran down it also (I think that's the right terminology) and was told it's good to go.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow! Congrats on a great return to riding & welcome from SC. Sounds like you’ve tagged all the right bases. You’re going to love the new ride. Ride safe & enjoy!!!
Definitely enjoying it. I used to live in your neck of the woods, twice. MCRD Parris Island was my 1st duty station as a corpsman. Then about 15 years ago spent 6 months in Gafney. Big fan of SC.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Welcome. it appears you are already up to speed on spending. However the people here will help you spend more, You chose a great ride and a great forum.
LOL I've been reading the forum for a couple of months but didn't want to post until I had my bike repaired and good to go. And I've noticed the trend for advice is $$ haha I'm good with that

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Welcome Doc King; that's a beautiful bike and I am so happy to see a fellow "classic" Screaming Eagle!
You are certainly both honest and modest, both are admirable traits. I guess it is has something to do with your background!

I have served with the armed forces of my country for many years. One of the things I have done was being a motorcycle instructor with the MPs.
I did the Motor Officer riding course at the National Police Academy – 5 weeks of intensive training!

Let me tell you right away, it is not a matter of if you drop the bike it is a matter of when ;)just learn the proper technique of pulling it up by yourself without hurting your back.

If you haven't already take a look at the videos of Jerry "Motorman" Paladino. He does a great job of teaching how to ride like a pro!

V/R

Hell I've already dropped her twice. Once stopping, once taking off. Just upright one second, down the next. Had help both times picking her up, so not looking forward to dropping her with no help around. Guess I'll figure it out then.

You missed it in the original post but I have watched Motorman and purchased his Ride-Like-a-Pro series, and surviving the mean streets dvd. He's helped a lot! I'd like to give a shout out to Robert Simmons Paying it Forward also, he's free on youtube and also does slow speed training. Same history as Motorman, 15 years NYPD motocycle unit. Both have been an immense help. Of course they help because I try operate and do exactly what they say.

Not sure I caught where you're from? Didn't sound like the States.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Semper Fi Doc!
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The Ultra CVO.
Enjoy it Brother.
Mike U.
I knew there'd be a few of y'all on here. Didn't expect to find one that could spell and put a sentence together though 😁 As always, here if you need me Marine. Semper Fi Devil Dog! My man

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa!

That color combo is one of my favorites!
So these are expensive to modify huh? Never heard that here before. (lolol)

Take your time and enjoy it. Yes, you will screwup, but learn to enjoy it. Some people get frustrated and will not ride it anymore. Dont do that. We all here to help you get the most out of your bike (and to empty your wallet!!)
Honestly if it was any other of the color combos from that year of the CVO I wouldn't have bought it. Take a look at the tan and brown combo from that year. Looks like a camper. ugh

Oh I'm gonna need some help spending some money. I want new bars and am told cams are the best value upgrade to the engine. Thanks for the shout out brother, definitely gonna enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Congrats, Welcome to the Tank from Euless and enjoy! Where about in Tejas? You may want to keep an eye on one of these.....

Hey Chrome, I'm in Texarkana now but used to live in Euless (and Hurst, and all over metroplex). I'll check those two links out. Appreciate it

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!!!!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Welcome from Minnesota!!!!
I know it sounds like I'm making stuff up, but I have also lived in MN, albeit as a kid. Dad got transferred to FCI Sandstone in '83. Dad took me to Lake Milacs so many times to fish those walleyes, I'll never forget it.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,283 Posts
Welcome from SW Florida. Most guys waste years learning to ride starting with a "Sportster", then go to a "Softail", and on up the ladder. You just jump right in to the best model that the MoCo makes. I didn't rad through all the posts here so someone might have already mentioned that taking an MSF course is the best first 'mod' you can make. Or take the course offered by your local HD dealership (most offer these). Ride defensively .... ALL the time and most of all have fun!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Welcome to the tank from SE Tennessee.
Cam chain tensioner and most definitely LIFTERS need to be checked.
Enjoy the ride.
My favorite pain scheme. Had one too.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
499 Posts
As the title says, total noob here. But, this noob is excited as hell to be joining the riding family! 47 year old married father of 4. I have a bunch of friends who ride, plus an older brother. I've never ridden a touring bike before. Had a Ninja 600R 30 years ago as an 18 year old. Road my brother's road king around the block a few times, that's it. So what do I do? I go out and buy one of the biggest bikes made from what I'm told. HA I really didn't mean to honestly. As the saying goes, here's what happened: Looking for a bike, budget around 7k, when a bike found me. Long story short, a 75 year old gentleman had bought this bike and rode it sparingly for a few years and then, as older men are want to do, he broke his hip in a fall. Never got back to the point of riding. Finally decided to sell his 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO (FLTRUSE) with 11,500 miles on it. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Here's the deal though, I'm taking it very seriously while also enjoying the new experience (and experiences to come) immensely. Took the safety course, watching tons of videos on slow speed riding, bought the ride like a pro series, getting in parking lots practicing starting, stopping, turning, with the wife on the back before even trying to ride with her. So yes, I know it wasn't the best route buying the biggest bike as my first bike, but I'm trying to do it right. I know squat about engines and stuff. Can't change the oil. But I'm a voracious reader. Last thing I want to do is go out and embarrass myself somewhere. I'm learning. I'm studying. I'm practicing. And I'm damn excited to be joining the riding family. So's the wife.

About me. Currently the head RN at a correctional facility in Texas. Former Fleet Marine Force US Navy Corpsman (that's a field medic with the Marines for those not in the know, and that's ok) Ooorah

About the bike. Please forgive if I use the wrong terminology.
2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO (FLTRUSE)
I had a quick connect put on the tour pack. Dropped over 2g's on Custom Dynamic lights in front and back. Added the sync thing where the saddle bag goes left to right when it's blinking (or vice versa). New michelin commander III's, drive belt, all new fluids, fuel pump, injectors, Klock werks 12" windshield, undercarriage light kit I control with app (don't hate, it looks cool as hell haha).
I blinked and am over 20g's in. This hobby is expensive. But I've never enjoyed spending money so much lol
Of course we didn't drop that to have a "garage queen" (i know i used that right) so we're definitely going to be putting some miles on her. We're good people and are looking to ride with the same. If any rides are put together, just know we're beginners, but not stupid and won't be doing anything stupid. Anyway, that's enough for now.

View attachment 426446 View attachment 426447 View attachment 426448 View attachment 426449
Welcome from NC!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congrats on the ride and welcome from the frozen Tundra. Careful about nixing other color combo's on here. One man's "Dogs playing poker" is another mans Picasso. ;) Some people on here actually like black bikes. Say it's the fastest color or something.

Keep reading and you will find endless ideas to throw your money away on.

Reactions: Doc King
21 - 40 of 55 Posts