Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, all you guru's of the road. I am doing a ride in Mid-September through southern New Mexico and Arizona, so am trying to figure my logistics for gear. I have the hyper-kool vest (though I wonder how good it will be behind a RGU fairing, upper and lower, and my Camel-Back. Figuring on long sleeve UA type shirts under my mesh jacket (coming back into Colorado in mid-September can expect anything from blazing sun to blowing snow). All the other gear is standard for a road trip of greater than 2000 miles. What else am I overlooking?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Southern NM and AZ will be a hot motha in September. Doesn't really cool down until late Oct or Nov.

Plenty of great riding in the upper elevations of northern NM and AZ. Is there something about the lower areas that you are going for?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Riding the Myths and Legends Tour. Looks as if the route goes into the up country around Pinetop, but ends in Tucson. I know it will be "warm", but with all the rain here in Colorado, it may be a nice change.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Expect well over 100F afternoon in Tuscon and vicinity. Mornings will be nice and after sunset will be bearable with just t-shirts. If you plan day rides bring sunscreen, or you will be so red you won't believe it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I don't know the route, but to get from White Sands to Pinetop-Lakeside you'll probably either be going north on 180 in NM or 191 in AZ; the latter being an absolute joyride. You'll feel like you're riding thru the world's largest open pit copper mine near Morenci (about 3,500' elevation) and then hit the twisties up to 9,000' at Hannagan Meadow.

Prepare for all weather conditions & use a good sunscreen!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would second the ride up 191. The wife, myself and grand-kids just did it in a cage ( yeah I know but it was a family trip) it is amazing. Watch out for the deer above the copper mine. It is the largest open pit mine in North America.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Looking forward to it. Living and riding here in Colorado, we bathe in sunscreen and sometimes still look like boiled lobster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts