Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's on the forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it. After riding about 70 miles today when I stopped at a light in gear with clutch pulled in there was a terrifying noise coming from the primary. Same thing at the next stop but dropped into neutral let go of the clutch and nothing. Any experience or guesses before I haul it to the shop? 2011 RGU. Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Shifter shaft ?

My shifter shaft rattles and makes noise, just needs to be greased and adjusted. Could this be what you're hearing ?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The nut on your engine compensator is loose. Take into the dealer for repairs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Haul it in. ASAP I had terrifying noise and it turned out to be the 6th gear (bearings pitted).

QUOTE=dwighop;373448]I'm sure it's on the forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it. After riding about 70 miles today when I stopped at a light in gear with clutch pulled in there was a terrifying noise coming from the primary. Same thing at the next stop but dropped into neutral let go of the clutch and nothing. Any experience or guesses before I haul it to the shop? 2011 RGU. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Saaaaaaame noise came from my new 2012 fltrx with about 1100 miles on the clock. It ended up being the bolt that holds the cam plate in place. I actually had it let go while riding to the dealer, dealer said "ride it here, if it breaks it's under warr. and we'll come get you" so about 2 mi. from my house the motor seized. Caused minor damage to anything really, only destroyed the timing cover, replaced under warr. along withe new cam's and pushrods under warr. too! So I went with the SE254E cam's got them installed for free too with adj. pushrods, couldn't be happier, happend becuas MOCO didn't put thread locker on my cam plate bolt. I don't mind, worked out great in the long run. With my setup I run away from stock 103's easily! and CVO's lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely on the primary side. The shifter arm is a noise I've gotten used to when I swapped it out. I had read about the compensator nut and was leaning that way. First thought the radio was going freaky. Then started looking for parts falling off. Sounds like a stealer trip.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If my memory serves me right you might have the old style comp.
And it will look like this after awhile.

I'm sure it's on the forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it. After riding about 70 miles today when I stopped at a light in gear with clutch pulled in there was a terrifying noise coming from the primary. Same thing at the next stop but dropped into neutral let go of the clutch and nothing. Any experience or guesses before I haul it to the shop? 2011 RGU. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hummm? My 2012 rattles when it is in neutral. Not bad, but you can hear it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
11 has the upgraded compensator. I developed a knock when first approaching a rise in the road. It would stop under acceleration. turned out to be a bad/worn compensator. This was at around 40k.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped it off at stealer. I'll let you know what it turns out to be. Interesting the number of sharks in for service.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
First attempt at repair was a fail. Back tomorrow. Got home and same rattle that sounds like a loose nut rolling around inside primary cover. Lights flicker and it now starts without using the start switch. Just flip it on run and it starts. Getting weirder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
not sure about the light flicker. but I had the same sound after the 1000 mile checkup when the dealer changed everything to synthetic.. After the dealer couldn't reproduce the sound I told them i would be back, took at quick ride where everything warmed up and bang there it was, back to the dealer and service said that it was more common on the trikes and that it was called neutral chatter and that they had take one apart and nothing to worry about other than the noise. We changed the primary fluid back to the original harley formula+ and no more problems been over 6500 miles and I haven't heard it since.

The dealer said they could put redline in but I stuck with the harley formula+ oil...

hope this helps

steelhead

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So $1500 later (alright it only cost me my $50 deductible thank goodness) I've got a new compensator, starter, ring gear, and clutch assembly to name a few. Don't really no where the problem started but I lost a tooth on the ring gear which was the rattle. The starter became permanently engaged because of a short in the start switch which I guess if I'm rolling along and the starter engages it could have broken a tooth. Just glad for the extended.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Starter engaging while engine is running would make a terrible racket. Losing a tooth on the ring gear would make noise anytime you start the bike, but should not make noise while running unless the tooth was wedged somewhere it didn't belong. Like the clutch basket sprocket. A buddy of mine had a bolt end up in there once... made a huge amount of noise and really ate up his primary chain...

At least it was covered by your warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2013 FLTRX having this problem when I let off throttle. Under acceleration it goes away, let off the throttle and the vibration is real bad. Had stealership pick it up since there is only 800 miles on the 2013. They called today and said the tech rode it and can't get it to do the same thing. I have been riding HD's since 1975 and they treated me like I was crazy. I have built many bikes over my life time and gave it to them just because it was under warranty. Guess I'm doin it my damn self. California Harley service dept. will never get any business from me or any of my buddies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts