Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Road Glide Special in April. The left body panel had a broken connector post from the word go. Part came in a few weeks back. I removed the saddlebag to swap the panels. Ever since then the front connector pin didn't seam to click down closed nice and tight like. Yesterday I ride about 10 miles to a music event and find my left saddlebag is no longer on the bike.

I retrace my ride.... Poof*gone! Just like that.

Warranty? Insurance? Guess it starts with the dealer huh?

I have not had a good time with the dealer since I got this bike... I'm sure they will be most helpful....

Any advice dealing with this would be appreciated.

BTW, a friend with a Glide gave me the screw type replacement hardware not that long ago and it was on my todo list.... grrrr So I was aware that this is an issue of sorts.

· Registered
463 Posts
Well, that does suck and I'm sorry for your loss. Since you've already indicated that you don't have a great relationship with this dealership I'm sure they are going to tell you that you are SOOL since they did not replace the broken part because you likely did not do it correctly. (I'm not saying you didn't, I'm saying they will.)

But I have to ask, why did you not have them do it? Since the bike is new and under warranty, why didn't you have them fix the problem? I always have my HD dealership do everything that is under warranty or things that can screw me under warranty.

The current dealership I go to is just okay. The sales people were very friendly when trying to sell me a bike and continue to be so. But the service guys just always seem to have an attitude, which honestly really annoys me. At their ridiculous hourly rates they should be all smiles and serve me freaking martinis!

Anyhow, I wish you luck but I think you are going to end up eating the cost of replacing the missing bag.

· Registered
463 Posts
Also, FWIW, check the local PD, HD and craigslist. You might get lucky and the person that grabbed your bag turned it in to a lost and found somewhere.

· Registered
10,586 Posts
Insurance . If the dealer did the work, then I'd go to them . Since you did the work.......

· Gone But Not Forgotten
3,814 Posts
I've seen several threads, where the bags have fallen off 2015 bikes. Hopefully the dealership will get you handled. You know what some dealerships tell you 'That's Normal' when any issues come up. Tell them the same thing. Good luck.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the sales woman I bought the bike from. She is going to speak with her manager. I'll be requesting a number to HD customer support after my expected rejection.

I did it myself because the day I could go get the cover it was raining and it is also 35 miles away. I'll check with the local po po.

· Registered
59 Posts
I've been afraid about my bags falling off. I needed up replacing the pin set up for a set of bagger bolts. Hopefully, this will rest my mind with ease. It's too expensive and too much of a hassle to get them replaced.

· Shark of the Month October 13
13,184 Posts
Every now and then on here, we read about someone losing a bag while riding down the road. HD has used their current type of saddlebag fastener (Dzus 1/4 turn) for a very long time now. As a career fastener salesman (though I never handled this specific type of fastener) I've looked hard as this situation and it's my conclusion that there's nothing wrong with the current design other than owners who don't pay attention when they re-install the bags after having them off the bike for maintenance or cleaning. I know it's easy to do it wrong if you aren't paying attention, I did it once myself. Fortunately for me, I discovered my mistake before the bag went bouncing down the highway. You have to make damned sure that the post portion of the fastener actually engages the 'bail' or wire portion in order to prevent unintentional loosening. Do you agree, or think there is an actual fastener failure problem?

· Registered
1,477 Posts
I really believe its an operator issue, this is my 3rd touring bike and had no issues with the other two, I read about so many issues on this forum when I bought this bike that I bit the bullet and went to a bolt in one of the two holes, its probably not necessary but my luck I'd lose a bag if I changed it back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.