Road Glide banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum. Wanted to get some advice here as well...

So I've put 1K miles on my RGS since I bought it 3 weeks ago. Just got it back from the dealer who performed the 1k mile service. I mentioned to them that I hear a really bad ticking noise as the bike warms up after a cold start.

The ticking doesn't happen right away. When I hit the start button, the engine sounds great. No abnormal noises. After about 2 minutes, I can hear the beginning of a small tick coming from the rear cylinder that gets progressively louder and about 30 seconds later it's pretty loud. Then after the engine gets to normal operating temperature the ticking disappears.

The dealer acknowledges hearing the noise and claims it's just the lifters taking time to pump up with oil. I don't buy that since it doesn't happen right away. Then they said it's just the engine breaking in and I'm going to hear some noises. They head mechanic at the dealer listened to it also and said that if the bike had an oil delivery problem then I would here other noises by the cam chest as well.

The ticking doesn't seem to affect the way the bike runs but I'm concerned about it non the less. This is my first new Harley and I'm not sure if these motors make crazy noises as they break in.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
not really sure what you're hearing but since this is your first Harley, know that the valve train on these bikes (200:cool: are extremely noisy compared to other manufacturers. Due to the twin cam configuration it could either be valves, lifters, rocker arms etc. I wouldn't worry about it especially since you have your concerns registered with your servicing dealer. Just make sure that the issue is listed on the invoice and the dealer response as well. If it is something serious, the Factory warranty should cover the repairs and if you were smart, and purchased the ESP the coverage is even longer. Welcome to the tank.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yup. I have an extended warranty on the bike and I plan on riding it until it blows up. Then I'll get a new motor on their dime.

Good plan. RIDE YOUR BIKE, RIDE IT LOTS, RIDE IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT, KEEP IT UNDER WARRANTY/ESP, AND RIDE IT TILL IT CANT BE RIDDEN NO MORE...then on your next HD (cuz you just know there's gonna be a next one), you'll be more in tune to what's happening, what you want and expect of your newest HD and get to do it all over again. Welcome to the tank and enjoy your ride!

Reactions: Bevis

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,281 Posts
not really sure what you're hearing but since this is your first Harley, know that the valve train on these bikes (200:cool: are extremely noisy compared to other manufacturers. Due to the twin cam configuration it could either be valves, lifters, rocker arms etc. I wouldn't worry about it especially since you have your concerns registered with your servicing dealer. Just make sure that the issue is listed on the invoice and the dealer response as well. If it is something serious, the Factory warranty should cover the repairs and if you were smart, and purchased the ESP the coverage is even longer. Welcome to the tank.
I did high-rise construction for 25 years we used to say when a job starts bad it is bad and I believe it’s the same thing for these Harleys I just purchased my first Milwaukee eight was at a dealership, 2020 road glide s Took it for a test ride it sounded like a rock polisher no matter what speed or what gear. Salesman didn’t know what to say. So as I continued my search for my retirement bike five dealers five bikes and started them all on the showroom floor they were very subtle differences in 3 of 5 The one I purchased was the smoothest and quietest so much so that I had scheduled a stage 2 torque cam upgrade at my thousand mile I was really nervous that the cam would really rattle that motor,it did not.Kevin Baxter on YouTube on one of his builds made mention of using S&S pushrods Because of the extra thread you can actually adjust out clatter.One of the dealers actually called me to say thanks he called And found out yes there were some bikes out there making excessive noise. Warranties should be used for the extra ordinary not on the day you buy the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
Due to the twin cam configuration it could either be valves, lifters, rocker arms etc. I wouldn't worry about it
m8 only has single cam....

can you make a recording and post it? hd are notorious for making noise (especially for first time owners). but there's 'good' noises, and then there's 'bad' noises. need to hear it to determine which.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,281 Posts
I did high-rise construction for 25 years we used to say when a job starts bad it is bad and I believe it’s the same thing for these Harleys I just purchased my first Milwaukee eight was at a dealership, 2020 road glide s Took it for a test ride it sounded like a rock polisher no matter what speed or what gear. Salesman didn’t know what to say. So as I continued my search for my retirement bike five dealers five bikes and started them all on the showroom floor they were very subtle differences in 3 of 5 The one I purchased was the smoothest and quietest so much so that I had scheduled a stage 2 torque cam upgrade at my thousand mile I was really nervous that the cam would really rattle that motor,it did not.Kevin Baxter on YouTube on one of his builds made mention of using S&S pushrods Because of the extra thread you can actually adjust out clatter.One of the dealers actually called me to say thanks he called And found out yes there were some bikes out there making excessive noise. Warranties should be used for the extra ordinary not on the day you buy the bike.
Sorry for the mis post based on date.funny how noise issues are still issues after all this time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.