Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I hope you might be able to help me discover a piece of information am missing.
I just bought a 2021 Road Glide Limited and I have a solid 1,200 miles. The last two rides I鈥檝e been smelling like the oil was burning. I park the bike on in my garage on a Mat all the time. But there no stains on the mat. I check the dip stick and the oil is on Add (Cold) I turned it on, let it run for about 5min and same thing Add. I have my 1,000 service this Saturday.
Any ideas on what might be happening??

Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
My 2020 has those moments where it seems that I am burning oil. No leaks, levels are where they should be, at halfway mark... riding up the hill Saturday, will know if it's still happening with mine. No noticeable change in any aspect. Just that smell.

Registered
First post needs a hearty welcome. Hearty welcome...Ride safe.

Reactions: NCPiper and Zedbra

Registered
I鈥榲e heard much talk about oil consumption on the M8鈥檚 across different forums. One poster stated there was a document from the MOCO indicating 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles is allowable/acceptable.

Registered
Hey guys. I hope you might be able to help me discover a piece of information am missing.
I just bought a 2021 Road Glide Limited and I have a solid 1,200 miles. The last two rides I鈥檝e been smelling like the oil was burning. I park the bike on in my garage on a Mat all the time. But there no stains on the mat. I check the dip stick and the oil is on Add (Cold) I turned it on, let it run for about 5min and same thing Add. I have my 1,000 service this Saturday.
Where was the oil level at the day you brought it home?

Did you check the air filter box?

Have a discussion with the service department so they are aware before they do the service. If nothing pops up they will probably say keep an eye on it. Good luck and welcome.

Registered
I鈥榲e heard much talk about oil consumption on the M8鈥檚 across different forums. One poster stated there was a document from the MOCO indicating 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles is allowable/acceptable.
Every manufacturer of engines has a similar statement to cover their asses. Back when we changed the oil at 3000 miles on vehicles it was not uncommon to be a quart low if you didn't keep an eye on it. Remember when gas station attendants would check the oil as part of filling up the gas tank?

Registered
Welcome to the 馃 tank. If your dip stick shows that you鈥檙e not burning oil and your bike is running without issues you should be. But express your concerns to the tech that鈥檚 servicing your bike for your 1k service.

Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
Welcome.

I burned a little more than a quart on a 3k ride after my 1k service. Long hard riding.
Have had much of an issue since.

Registered
2017 RGS
I've heard from a few people that the reason we sometimes smell oil burning is because we probably are burning oil. Harley vents the heads directly into the air filter. This causes oil to be deposited into the air filter and get sucked into the cylinder, where it is burnt. I noticed it often when the weather was hotter and I would stop at a light. I added a catch can/vent to the head vent so the oil doesn't get sucked into the cylinder. I haven't had that smell since. Harley does this for EPA regs. Since this is probably against warranty, I kept all of the original vent tubes to return to normal in case of any ESP claim I may have to make.

Doc Harley has a great video on this..and on most things too

DOC HARLEY: LET鈥橲 PUT AN END TO OIL IN YOUR AIR CLEANER - YouTube

Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
Congrats on your purchase my 2020 RGS same issue could not get it a clean read for side stand always shows 鈥 add鈥 slab is perfectly level so just for grins placed a 2x4 under the side stand until it was level. get someone to help.Rechecked level hot right on the money.

Registered
First, Congrats on the new ride!
My 2018 RGS has 25,000 miles on it. Uses about 1 quart every 2,000 to 2300 miles. I've been through the "monitoring" process with my local dealer. They filled the oil to the proper level and then requested I stop back in 1000 miles to check the level. Stopped back several times at the requested 1000 mile interval. Dealer verified it was "using" oil. They received permission from the MOCO to check the static crankcase level. Verified that the oil usage is within MOCO tolerance (1 quart every 1500 miles is acceptable - 3 ounces left in the crankcase).
I keep the oil level as shown in pic.
Grey Wood Font Rectangle Metal
Checked oil level hot on the jiffy stand.
After riding(not at idle in the driveway for 5 or 10 minutes) and engine up to temperature. Immediately after riding let engine idle for 1 - 2 minutes and then checked the oil level.
This has been an ongoing issue for me since the first 1000 mile service. Do I think using 1 quart of oil (at $13 a quart) in 2200 miles is acceptable....Hell no! All I can do is keep keep a record of when I add oil.(I take a picture of the dipstick and the mileage each time). Hopefully down the road with documentation if something does go wrong I'll have a leg to stand on for any repair that might be needed.

Registered
First, Congrats on the new ride!
My 2018 RGS has 25,000 miles on it. Uses about 1 quart every 2,000 to 2300 miles. I've been through the "monitoring" process with my local dealer. They filled the oil to the proper level and then requested I stop back in 1000 miles to check the level. Stopped back several times at the requested 1000 mile interval. Dealer verified it was "using" oil. They received permission from the MOCO to check the static crankcase level. Verified that the oil usage is within MOCO tolerance (1 quart every 1500 miles is acceptable - 3 ounces left in the crankcase).
I keep the oil level as shown in pic.
View attachment 431074
Checked oil level hot on the jiffy stand.
After riding(not at idle in the driveway for 5 or 10 minutes) and engine up to temperature. Immediately after riding let engine idle for 1 - 2 minutes and then checked the oil level.
This has been an ongoing issue for me since the first 1000 mile service. Do I think using 1 quart of oil (at $13 a quart) in 2200 miles is acceptable....Hell no! All I can do is keep keep a record of when I add oil.(I take a picture of the dipstick and the mileage each time). Hopefully down the road with documentation if something does go wrong I'll have a leg to stand on for any repair that might be needed.
Well an engine build will probably get ride of the oil usage and save you $13 every couple months. ;)

So you have spent $13 times (25,000 miles divided by 2150 miles) equals $151 extra so far to keep your bike running. Other than the hassle, not really that bad.

I would have probably traded it out by now. o_O

Registered
They are telling some people that a qt every 500 miles is acceptable. Not sure if that's dealers just blowing people off, or the new standard from the MoCo.

Fact is, it shouldn't use more than a couple of table spoons in 5000 miles. And most don't.

A bore scope down the plug hole will tell the tail on where its going. Rear jug overheating is what many are finding.

Registered
They are telling some people that a qt every 500 miles is acceptable. Not sure if that's dealers just blowing people off, or the new standard from the MoCo.

Fact is, it shouldn't use more than a couple of table spoons in 5000 miles.
Either way it's still a blow off by the MOCO!!! And mostly due to the EPA... Get those motors vented properly!!

Registered
Either way it's still a blow off by the MOCO!!! And mostly due to the EPA... Get those motors vented properly!!
Its got nothing to do with the vent. Its the fragile ring package and insufficient cooling to the rear jug. Turning the ETMS off on an oil cooled M8 is asking for disaster.

Registered
Again just the MOCO making excuses and side stepping there known issues as they always do.. We spend 30+K to do the MOCO's R&D work....

Registered
2019 fltru
i can smell oil if oil level is to high-i run 3 dots below full

Registered
2020 Road Glide Limited Silver Pine/Spruce
I've had similar oil usage/consumption in my 2020 RGL. Got back from a multi-day trip and used about 1 qt for 4200 km (2600 miles). My dealer has it documented.

Please Note...I don't need this to spiral into another oil debate regarding the merits of one vs another, or what brand of oil is the best, etc. ...just for information.

I've used synthetic oil for almost 10 years now but read a post on another forum where a rider with same issue switched from synthetic to mineral oil.
This change pretty much stopped his oil usage/consumption issue so I thought...what the heck, it's cheap enough to try. And changing the oil every 5000 miles, the mineral oil won't be in there long.
Last oil change, I used HD mineral oil in the engine. 1500 miles on it since and it hasn't dropped on the dipstick (hot check). Added benefit...the engine seems to run quieter as well.
I have a great relationship with the service manager at my dealership...he's a big fan of mineral oil in the engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts