Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a 10.8 S&S 124 locally from a friends shop. My plans are to use Bandit sportsman clutch, thunder max tuner, V&H Power Duals with Crusher MellowMufflers, GMR Compensaver w latest compensator. I'm not sure on throttlebody 66mm Throttlehog from S&S or HPI 58 mm or bigger. It's going in 2012 RG Custom w stretched CVO bags so I need to look at duals or it will drive me crazy! I mostly drive solo I'm about 170 lbs,I won't be beating this to death. Maybe an occasional rolling holeshot, primarily just enjoying the extra power. Right now it has 103 w 57H cams, Cobra Powerport header, Rinehart 4" mufflers & PM air cleaner. I am planning to re use air cleaner do these work well. Looking for crisp throttle response so please let me know if you have any advice or reccomended other components tha would be better from your own experiance Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New S&S 124 build

Would the Dragos stepped true duals be a better way tu go? Can I get shields in Chrome?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Just ordered a 10.8 S&S 124 locally from a friends shop. My plans are to use Bandit sportsman clutch, thunder max tuner, V&H Power Duals with Crusher MellowMufflers, GMR Compensaver w latest compensator. I'm not sure on throttlebody 66mm Throttlehog from S&S or HPI 58 mm or bigger. It's going in 2012 RG Custom w stretched CVO bags so I need to look at duals or it will drive me crazy! I mostly drive solo I'm about 170 lbs,I won't be beating this to death. Maybe an occasional rolling holeshot, primarily just enjoying the extra power. Right now it has 103 w 57H cams, Cobra Powerport header, Rinehart 4" mufflers & PM air cleaner. I am planning to re use air cleaner do these work well. Looking for crisp throttle response so please let me know if you have any advice or reccomended other components tha would be better from your own experiance Thanks
Rhinehart true duals with a 66.
We have recently had Thayers Sales & Service(inovator of the 3-stage HD oil pump), Corfu, NY tune one of our 124"/.585/our Stage IV Heads(OEM HD castings) with that combo.
129/137, std.:)
Scott

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the V/H Power Duals and Crusher Mellows on my 124.
Nice sounding and no restrictions.
And HPI 58 MM T/B would compliment your build.
Measure the intake port diameter prior to ordering to get the right sized manifold if you go that route.
Not a fan of the Thunder Max. I went with the TTS Master Tune.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you plucked the .640 cam from that ctate engine and dropped in a Wood TW-9B, it would produce a HUGE torque gain, right in the range most ride it.:)
Scott

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have the V/H Power Duals and Crusher Mellows on my 124.
Nice sounding and no restrictions.
And HPI 58 MM T/B would compliment your build.
Measure the intake port diameter prior to ordering to get the right sized manifold if you go that route.
Not a fan of the Thunder Max. I went with the TTS Master Tune.
FWIW; I'm with MJ all the way around...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I might add that I too have the Bandit Sportsman set-up in mine.
Follow the directions that come with the unit and you can't go wrong.
I've never touched mine since it's been installed.
For us mere mortal's it's all the clutch you could possibly need.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Not a numbers guy but my S&S 124 Flies. I am using a PowerVision and tweaked with the autotune pro. No dyno results and my guess is this bike will never be on a Dyno. The Indy installed S&S header and power duals. Which is the map that S&S has on their website for the powervision. I am now running V&H High Output slipons with the S&S Header. Customer service with S&S is outstanding, I'm sure other products can make better numbers but it is more motor than you will ever need. The 640's come in at 3500 rpm or so and really roll over 4k. I like this for my riding style ~ not a beast around town but an interstate and 2 lane passing bullet with the slightest roll of the throttle. I am using a 58mm HPI and still have not gone to the 58mm backing plate for the air cleaner ~ plan to do that next.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
124 build

Thanks for all the advice. Just wondering how the pull in on the Bandit Sportsman clutch compared to stock or AIM variable pressure plate. I am aware that you can change the springs on the bandit, so I'm asking when used on a crate 124 motor. Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have mine set up with the gray springs and 1 shim.
It's maybe 10-20% harder to pull than a stocker.
Call and talk to the guys at Bandit. You are going to need it with the 124's torque.
It's the last clutch you should ever need to install.

If it were mine, I'd pop the heads off and install a .030 head gasket
prior to slipping it in the frame. At the same time you can also check the deck height on the pistons.
If it's more than .005 in. in the hole, I'd be skim cutting the cylinders to achieve "0" deck height.

Running that cam you can get away with 11.5 comp. on pump gas.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Doesn't the T-Max use the Wideband 02s?

If using the Widebands, you need to make sure that the pipe you're using has the 18mm bungs...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Just wondering how the pull in on the Bandit Sportsman clutch compared to stock or AIM variable pressure plate. I am aware that you can change the springs on the bandit, so I'm asking when used on a crate 124 motor. Thanks

I'm running the AIM VP-95LT with my stock clutch on my s&s 124LC and it works great. No slippage at all. I was going to go with a bandit but I picked up the aim for cheap and I said what the hell I'll try it. Well it works great!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have run Bandit, AIM, + 1 pack heavy spring, and now the Barnett with lock up. Clutch slip for the most part is always down low. Just because you cannot feel it does not mean its not slipping. By the time you feel it the pack is hurt .

Bandit is gray springs 3 shims to hold the power. Best slip test on the road is get the bike loaded with two up. Drop it into 6th gear and roll on hard from 2000 RPM.

I now run the lock up unit and with 58 gold (3) and 82 green ( 3) I cannot get it slip at all. Lock up is coming in by 2500. all 58 gold two up un loaded holds fine but add the extra weight and I can feel it every so slightly Lever pull is lighter than bandit

The AIM deal felt good for a while but in the end burn the pack up.

Riding style and such has alot to do with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have run Bandit, AIM, + 1 pack heavy spring, and now the Barnett with lock up. Clutch slip for the most part is always down low. Just because you cannot feel it does not mean its not slipping. By the time you feel it the pack is hurt .

Bandit is gray springs 3 shims to hold the power. Best slip test on the road is get the bike loaded with two up. Drop it into 6th gear and roll on hard from 2000 RPM.

I now run the lock up unit and with 58 gold (3) and 82 green ( 3) I cannot get it slip at all. Lock up is coming in by 2500. all 58 gold two up un loaded holds fine but add the extra weight and I can feel it every so slightly Lever pull is lighter than bandit

The AIM deal felt good for a while but in the end burn the pack up.

Riding style and such has alot to do with it.
Hi Steve, are you becoming a sponsor over here in the tank?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I do not believe a business can hide behind a screen name..........that outfit was ousted from here for trying to hawk parts, prior, WITHOUT being a sponsor.........??:eek:
Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dan

Not looking to be a sponsor as I am not selling or advertising

I own a Road glide this is a road glide forum and I am happy to report the testing I have done.

Scott I am not here as a shop. My post's are not against the rules and that is all that counts. SO any other questions.. As I know of many shops on here that are not sponsors. Just happy to help out with nothing to be gained in return. and tons of testing I do have. Have a great day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I thought that was you, it's been cold around these parts, must be nice living in Texas during the winter months.
You guys get to ride year round, I'm jealous, for sure...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did not think it would take long for some to figure out.. I have to say its very nice not being a shop on a forum. Tired of the same old back and forth ..all about the money.. :(

I love the shark, touring is outstanding and yes the weather is a nice up side. We have a cold spell .. Dont get made but it got down to 60 during the day..:D You could take a road trip you going to shark week?? Being its in TX I will be there. Raising the 10 year old grandson is a huge job..

Working on Skunk paint job for it this winter. Could not see the money for a 15 CVO they are nice but 45,G well its not a must have for me at that price . HA HA

Take care

sorry for the side track guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still deciding on a clutch!

Now that the holidays are over I will be continuing with my build. I've been collecting parts and so far I ended up going with an HPI 58MM throttlebody, Jackpot XXX 2-1-2 ceramic coated SS header & full size crossover. I'm going to use my 4" Rineharts till it's tuned then decide about mufflers. I'm leaning toward Direct Link for tuning instead. So I'm stuck between (2) clutches Barnett low profile Scorpion w lock-up or Bandit Sportsman. I just want to do this once. Also are there any problems with thes motors spewing oil out through the breather from the extra crank windage?

What would be a fair price for my 2012 103 6500 miles with Andrews 57H cam & new lifters installed about 800 miles ago? It made 93hp & 103tq. I don't have throttle body. Any Offers???
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 29 Posts