Road Glide banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the new compensator wit the new rotor last night. I also installed a manual primary chain adjustor also SE. When I started it up the primary was load as hell. There is a whining noise and a clunking noise like the chain is slapping around in there.

I took the cover back off and reinspected and re torqued every thing. I rode it for about 5 mile and runs and shifts perfectly, the noise may be getting better or maybe its in my head, the primary oil didnt get a chance to heat up.

Is it normal to have this much noise and will it go away after a few hundred miles. I wanted to ride to Ocean City this weekend but a little scared now.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
The whining noise is probably the new shoe on the tensioner. The chain needs to seat itself into the shoe and the whine should go away. I can't help you with the clunk but I'd make sure everything is aligned properly and there are no other oddball marks anywhere to ensure nothing is hitting. Also when are you getting the clunking, riding,starting?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clunking. Ouse

I readjusted my tensioner tonight. It appears to be a little quieter. I think you are correct in the fact that the noise is coming from the tensioner. The noise that I hear is coming during idle and deceleration.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Boy, this is one of those deals that the more you listen to it the more odd noises you hear. I would ride it for 10 miles and see if that helps. I would guess it is ok to ride on your trip this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.