Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the HD Low Profile CVO Style seat delivered today.

First impressions when I sat down on it was this seat is a lot lower, and much firmer than my Nustang Super Tour (one piece, 2-up) Sitting down and low makes the bike feel bad ass.

Now, the short ride felt very different than I’m used to. I found it awkward to use the heel shifter, and it seemed much more natural to upshift with the toe. The seat felt hard and put pressure on my sit bones, and for the short ride, it wasn’t anywhere near as comfortable as my mustang.

I need to to put some miles on it to see if it breaks in any, but I am a bit disappointed. Wondering if I should have bought the mustang solo.

Anyway, her are a couple of pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same one I have and I really like it. I actually ordered the 2012 CVO RG seat but I’m sure it’s the same?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Real good looking seat. Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
860 Posts
I hope your seat turns out to be comfortable after break in. I have been saving my pennies for that exact seat and would hate to hear that it's not comfortable for even short rides. I've always liked how the seat looks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry for slight hijack but does that bottle carrier leather ''bag'' over the rear crash bar work good? Where do you get them from? Looks great.

The seat you've posted pix of looks a bit too badass for me now. I have ridden on some real skimpy, supportless seats on kickstart FXs over the last 25yrs but I am now loving the deeply supportive LePera Maverick (Daddy Long Legs version) on my '19 RG. I bought a LePera Low Profile single seat secondhand for a great price, just as an alternative for a real low-slung look, but on such a (new to me) big motorcycle I kinda felt wobbly on it after 10 miles yesterday. It's gonna be for sale. The Maverick is already comfortable with hugely impressive back support. And most days on the bike I am doing 100 miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I traded my RGU in for my CVO i kept my Mustang touring seat with the removable backrest. First thing I did was put it on the CVO. It doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the CVO seat, but I doubt they compare for touring. I still haven't put the back rest on, but when I go on long road trips I will.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,055 Posts
Looks good, hope it breaks in soon for you.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Same seat I've got. Give it some time ,you'll love it. Very comfortable. The only down side is as you mentioned, you need to lift your foot up a little to use the heel shifter.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
as an alternative, you might want to try an airhawk for comfort.
cheaper than buying a new seat and will raise you up a little...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Cruiser-Motorcycle-Cushion-Comfortable/dp/B013RGDGQ8?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B013RGDGQ8[/ame]

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Same seat I've got. Give it some time ,you'll love it. Very comfortable. The only down side is as you mentioned, you need to lift your foot up a little to use the heel shifter.
I've got both my heel and toe shifter set as low as possible without bottoming on the floorboard. My foot never completely leaves the board when shifting. Just raise yer toe or heel. Works for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have that seat. It's surprisingly comfortable. On par with the stock road glide seat. Im 6'2 and like being further back. I later bought the passenger pillion because I found that more than an hour of riding is fatiguing because you are holding yourself in place by gripping the handle bars. It's subtle but makes everything sore after a while. The pillion provides enough back stop to prevent that. It looks much better imo than most touring seats.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for slight hijack but does that bottle carrier leather ''bag'' over the rear crash bar work good? Where do you get them from? Looks great.

The seat you've posted pix of looks a bit too badass for me now. I have ridden on some real skimpy, supportless seats on kickstart FXs over the last 25yrs but I am now loving the deeply supportive LePera Maverick (Daddy Long Legs version) on my '19 RG. I bought a LePera Low Profile single seat secondhand for a great price, just as an alternative for a real low-slung look, but on such a (new to me) big motorcycle I kinda felt wobbly on it after 10 miles yesterday. It's gonna be for sale. The Maverick is already comfortable with hugely impressive back support. And most days on the bike I am doing 100 miles.
I bought the bottle holders/pouches at a rally, I really like them. Fits my sun tan lotion on one side and I stuff a microfiber towel in the other. Very quick access to that when needed, and they don’t get lost in the saddlebags under rain gear etc.

The bottle holders keep water at close range, but the only drawback is it gets pretty warm from the engine heat.

HD has them available, and if I were to get them over, I would get the ones from HD without the bottle holder section.

I do like the one I have enough that I won’t replace them with the much higher priced HD version.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have that seat. It's surprisingly comfortable. On par with the stock road glide seat. Im 6'2 and like being further back. I later bought the passenger pillion because I found that more than an hour of riding is fatiguing because you are holding yourself in place by gripping the handle bars. It's subtle but makes everything sore after a while. The pillion provides enough back stop to prevent that. It looks much better imo than most touring seats.
Well that’s encouraging! Thanks!

If I think it will work, I plan on buying the cvobackrest.com riders backrest. It’s a really pricy, (almost as much as the seat cost me) so I’m going to hold off on it until I know for sure if it’s gonna work.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i'm with you. I have that seat on my 14 CVO Road King and no problem for all day ride even for the best part of me after 11 years behind an Ultra Classic.

I' m looking to buy one for my RGS when she'll arrived.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
I've got both my heel and toe shifter set as low as possible without bottoming on the floorboard. My foot never completely leaves the board when shifting. Just raise yer toe or heel. Works for me.
I guess a lot got to do with my steel hip and bad knee.. I also got the heel shifter lowered. It's still easier with one of my higher seats on ,at least for me.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some time on the seat today. Road for about an hour and a half. Didn’t hurt as bad as it did yesterday, but it’s still not my mustang. One thing for sure, you have to hang on to the bars due to how it slopes back. I think that’s why is putting pressure on my sit bones.

I’m not sure if a riders backrest will help, but the only one I can find for this seat is so expensive. Hate like hell to try it to see if it helps, and if it doesn’t, lose the $. Looked in the classifieds, and on eBay for a used one, but no luck with that.

I guess time will tell, but again, I am still a bit disappointed since it gets such rave reviews.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So my wife reminded me that when I got the Mustang super tour, I had the same reaction. So I started thinking about this tonight, and what made a big difference to make the Mustang work was to adjust my bars by rolling them forward. So I rolled the bars back some and will give that a go.

Anther thing also came to mind. I was fine on the stock seat when I had the stock bars on, after I got the apes, that’s when I stared having back side issues. So if rolling the bars don’t help, I may swap the stockers back on to check it out.

I also dug out my zeppelin seat pad, I’m not giving up on it just yet. The seat pad does take away from the looks though.but I guess I can not use the strap, and pull it off the seat and put it in a bag when at destinations. Can’t really see it when I’m sitting on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts