Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have some gouge on the new 777 or 777HD tires from Shinko? I've never been a fan of Shinko on other bikes but this new line claims higher mileage and the price is pretty low. This is another option for us with the 19" front and 18" rear if it turns out to be a good tire. Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wheel Auto part
Text Font Pattern

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soooo... has anyone heard or have any experience with the new version for HD. Saw a booklet in my local dealer.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Have them on my wife's sporty. Got 12k out of them. For the price they can't be beat. I have another set in my garage waiting to go on

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pretty sure the "HD" stands for heavy duty and is phasing out the regular 777.

I ran the 777 on the rear of my Concours (~675lbs + rider + gear) and got 12K miles of mixed sport touring and (ahem) spirited local riding. Not much wet but overall the tire performed excellently on slab and twisties.

I am getting ready to install a set of Metzler ME888s on the new Ultra, didn't even think to look for Shinkos, but we'll see what mileage I get out of these.

Disclaimer: Still FNG so my opinion can be considered worth what you paid for it.

:cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I will chime in because I just considered ordering a set, but I ended up ordering a Michelin Commander rear only for $178 shipped from Chapperal, I could've got a set of 2 for only a lil more if I went Shinko but I have like 4 riding buddies raving about the Michelins lasting forever and the writeups seem to back that up.

so....im enough of a cheapskate to try the Shinko but for $50 price difference I went Michelin.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got a set of Michelin's for My 12 FLTRU the other day, going to get them put on this week end. Read some good reports about them and some that were not good. just couldn't bring myself to doing Chinese. Lets us know how the do.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've run the stock Dunlops and the Mich Com II's on my last bike. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Shinko 777 HD's. That's all. Thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
No info on Shinko, but I just put a 19" dunlop american elite tire on the front.. I got both front 19 and rear 16 for less than 300$ and shipped free. They seem to ride great..

·
Registered
13 Posts
just put a rear on . will update as time goes on .139.00 160 out the door mounted balanced .
so far only 100 miles i like the handling . gonna get the front in another 3000 miles

·
Registered
88 Posts
Reviving this old thread since I discovered that Shinko makes a 777HD in 130/60 19 for the enforcer wheel I just acquired.

Did you ever try out that front, and what kind of mileage are you at on the rear?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For what's it worth – I've done a lot of extreme riding and even rode the 2-wheeler for the emergency services. And one thing is certain; the tires and brakes are probably the most important parts on your motorcycle. I rather put some cheap oil in it than putting on some cheap tires made in PROC. Does this mean that only expensive tires work as they should? Not necessarily but you get what you pay for. Factor in your riding style, weather and where you ride (road conditions) before choosing a set of tires. Do not put an emphasis on how may miles you can squeeze out of it, after 5 years I'll put on a new set of wheels regardless. Keep in mind that tires loose some of their capabilities after a long exposure to the elements, the rubber compound will be harder and hence loose its traction. Needless to say this would be critical on wet and slippery roads.
These are the brands I would vouch for:
Metzler (ME 888)
Dunlop (American Elite)
Continental (Conti)
Bridgestone (Spitfire)
Michelin (Commander II)

Now if you "ride like a pastor" and only in a residential area to get your groceries and back I guess Shinko could fit the bill. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just got a set of Michelin's for My 12 FLTRU the other day, going to get them put on this week end. Read some good reports about them and some that were not good. just couldn't bring myself to doing Chinese. Lets us know how the do.
Have read a lot of good reviews about the Michelin's but if you cant do Chinese how are those Thailand tires holding up?

·
Registered
333 Posts
One of my riding buddies has a Victory (actually weighs a bit more then my shark) and he has been running Shinko 777HD tires for a few years now, and he swears by them. He is a bit of an aggressive rider and these tires have been holding up very well. He told me they handle awesome in all conditions including pouring rain ...... he's been getting about 15k to 18k an them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I only run 777hd on my dyna. I LOVE them. fantastic traction and the price is so low on them I don't mind to replace one each year If I have to.

·
Registered
548 Posts
"These are the brands I would vouch for:
Metzler (ME 888)"

Used to be a good tire years ago. Now, weak sidewalls, undersized, poor mileage even when properly inflated, many documented failures and zero customer service.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I only run 777hd on my dyna. I LOVE them. fantastic traction and the price is so low on them I don't mind to replace one each year If I have to.
Do you feel the 777HD would be a good tire for the shark, or do you think the 230 tour master would be better?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts