Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I get the new CVO Road Glide and take it out for a weekend of riding. It rides like hammered dog$hit. My CVO V-Rod rides much better. I'm looking for shock replacement recommendations. The problem seems to be the rear adjustable shocks, I think the front shocks are okay.

I went by the local dealership and rode another new Road Glide for a comparison. It rode like hammered dog$hit too.

I've aways been told a touring bike would ride much better than the V-Rod. That doesn't appear to be the case.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
You should have tried an Ultra RG. Shock is one inch longer.

You can't go wrong with a set of Ohlins on the rears. You have the top of the line bike, might as well get the top of the line suspension.

A couple members here are retailers for Ohlins.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I have a '17 with the HD Showa Front (Same as yours but no 21 inch Wheel) and have Ohlins on the rear and the bike rides like a dream - I like my bike to be tight and perform well in and out of the corners......and really do 99% of my riding solo..........PM a cat on here named @Smarty and he can answer any questions you may have on Ohlins

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have a '17 with the HD Showa Front (Same as yours but no 21 inch Wheel) and have Ohlins on the rear and the bike rides like a dream - I like my bike to be tight and perform well in and out of the corners......and really do 99% of my riding solo..........PM a cat on here named @Smarty and he can answer any questions you may have on Ohlins
Im fixing to have to pull the trigger on some new shocks. The HD's suck. My Victory and a buddies Indian had a much better ride. I'd compare the ride to my 3/4 ton vs my wife's Lexus. That being said. The Roadglide is the only bike for me. Just sucks Im fixing to shell out 7 to 8 bills to get a nice ride for a cruiser that should already have it... Just saying....

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had the Ohlin 6's on my 2011 CVO - they were a great shock / delivered a great ride - on my 17 RGS I decided to try the SuperShox Premium - they're 14" - you'll need to add the extension - have 3K miles on them and love them - a lot easier to adjust than the Ohlins which I appreciate - most importantly they give me as good a ride as the Ohlins did on my 11 for several hundred less - adding 2"'s to travel makes a huge difference in ride quality / adjustment - if you can add an inch or two in travel with a quality brand shock it would be money well spent -

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should have tried an Ultra RG. Shock is one inch longer.

You can't go wrong with a set of Ohlins on the rears. You have the top of the line bike, might as well get the top of the line suspension.

A couple members here are retailers for Ohlins.
I noticed, looking through the Harley Davidson catalog, there are two versions of the "Premium Ride" stock I have, standard height and low profile. I have the low profile of course, which has less travel. I do however like the low stance of the bike.

Ohlins, never heard of them, but I will begin the research.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It rides like hammered dog$hit.

Really

You have a picture of your bike?

Your VRod should feel different then a RG but," It rides like hammered dog$hit"

Have you tried all the settings on your CVO's shocks?

The shocks mentioned above would be a good selection.

Swomack
I don't have any good picture yet, but this is what i have so far. Never mind, I guess I'm not smart enough to attach pictures.

Yes, hammered Dog$hit. You are correct, the two bikes are considerable different and handle different. The Road Glide does handle extremely well however, way better than I imagined.

Yes, I've tried a variety of different settings alone and with passenger. Based setting from the setting weight chart in the owner's manual. I gone above and below the recommend settings. The setting scale is from 0 to 23.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im fixing to have to pull the trigger on some new shocks. The HD's suck. My Victory and a buddies Indian had a much better ride. I'd compare the ride to my 3/4 ton vs my wife's Lexus. That being said. The Roadglide is the only bike for me. Just sucks Im fixing to shell out 7 to 8 bills to get a nice ride for a cruiser that should already have it... Just saying....

I can relate and agree.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying the figure out the attachment.

image1.JPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay, no idea why they are sideways.

image2.JPG

·
Registered
4,414 Posts

Like the 3/4 ton truck, when the road glide is on full preload and fully loaded, it rides much better.

·
Registered
523 Posts
First choice: Ohlins. Second choice: Legend.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I had the Ohlin 6's on my 2011 CVO - they were a great shock / delivered a great ride - on my 17 RGS I decided to try the SuperShox Premium - they're 14" - you'll need to add the extension - have 3K miles on them and love them - a lot easier to adjust than the Ohlins which I appreciate - most importantly they give me as good a ride as the Ohlins did on my 11 for several hundred less - adding 2"'s to travel makes a huge difference in ride quality / adjustment - if you can add an inch or two in travel with a quality brand shock it would be money well spent -
I believe the "6" is a Ohlins Howard Build/Brand, no? In his arena, I think the "3" is more comparable to SuperShox and priced about the same if memory serves from previous research

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So, I get the new CVO Road Glide and take it out for a weekend of riding. It rides like hammered dog$hit. My CVO V-Rod rides much better. I'm looking for shock replacement recommendations. The problem seems to be the rear adjustable shocks, I think the front shocks are okay.

I went by the local dealership and rode another new Road Glide for a comparison. It rode like hammered dog$hit too.

I've aways been told a touring bike would ride much better than the V-Rod. That doesn't appear to be the case.
Some suggestions;

Put more miles on the Bike, sometimes it takes miles for a suspension to settle in...(the cartridges on "The Short Bus" took about 700-800 miles to settle in)

Set initial adjustments per owner's manual and patiently try adjusting from there...

Go to your Dealer and ask for assistance ( there could be something wrong with the suspension??)

Go with aftermarket shocks and sell me your take-offs :grin:

There are some folks (with tons of miles on HDs, RGs, with aftermarket suspensions) that say the '18 CVORG is by far their best riding/handling Harley yet (including aftermarket suspensions)

If you're a lightweight solo rider (say <175lbs) it's going to be difficult to get a good ride out of a Bagger, even with aftermarket suspensions...

JMHO,,, Your results may vary...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts