Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 FLTRU and have never messed with suspension at all on any bike but I cannot say that I like the stock air shocks. Is there a way to get a shock that does not require air to adjust, will carry 2 heavy riders and won't change my unladen suspension height much? I can just reach the ground with the standard arrangement but I don't want to significantly lower the ride, you can read that as I still want full shock travel. Long term reliability is important to me because I hope to keep this bike forever. At 65 years old it may well be my last bike.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hey Old Man

Of course there are several discussions on this forum about shocks. I run the Progressive 940s on my 11 rgc, and love them. They are pricey, but worth every cent. Some people ride on progressive 440s, and others like the ohlin shocks.

I purchased my progressives 940s on ebay and saved big bucks, and they carry a lifetime guarantee. They have a knurled cap, so no shock wrench required. They will also drop the seat height one inch, but still give you 13 inches of travel. If you are interested, I would call Progressive and tell them total your weight riding 2 up, and they can/will make recommendations for you. Good luck but I would wait to hear what people riding ohlins have to say.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Like everything else on the bike, several choices, several opinions, I run Ohlins, they are very pricey but to me well worth it, you can read about them on the motorcyclemetal web site or the Ohlin web site. I went with the HD new heavy duty front tubes, at bike week NH, the HD suspension team sort of suggested I try them, Ohlins did not have / offer them at the time so I went with them, not dissapointed.

The rear Ohlins to me are the absolute best ride, easily adjusted for single or two up, didn't know how a Harley was suppose to ride until I got them........

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Ohlins

Posted from Sturgis

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I plan to change my rear shocks soon also, though I love the Progressive monotubes I have up front, after much reading and research I'm about 95% sure I'll be doing Ohlins in the rear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey oldman... pretty much on the same track as you. I have an '03 FLTRI that the PO had installed stock Street Glide air shocks on ( 1" lower). I wanted to raise the rear to stock height for 2 up riding, didn't want to fool with constant adjustment and I wanted to have a decent solo ride. I just bought Progressive 440's from Direct Harley Parts for $419.00 shipped! I love 'em and, more importantly, the wife loves 'em! Neither one of us are petite but the shocks handle great.

Adjustment is easy... undo the saddle bag fasteners, lean the bags outward and twist the top of the shock to increase or decrease pre-load. I just set 'em and forget 'em... 1 turn stiffer is working for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts