Road Glide banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a brand new set of Pioneer 6.5" speakers for my 15 RGS. after install the highs and mids sound great but the low end (bass) is distorted and sounds like crap. any advise to correct this?

Additionally I have already purchased a Kenwood 4ch, 400 Watt amp (just awaiting on delivery) to install along with lower fairings with 5.25" Kicker speakers. Am I going to encounter this same issue again after that install?

I am a medically retired veteran and frankly cannot afford Harley labor rates to have them diagnose this untill I can get the VA to finally fix my disability percentages.

Any help anyone could offer with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The most likely culprit is that you don't have enough power to push the bass. So it will distort. In the interim, you can reduce the bass on the head unit until amps is installed. Once you get the amp installed, you will want to tweak the bass frequency response and amp gain for each channel to get the best sound out of each group of speakers. When you make the adjustments, set bass/treble in the middle then turn the volume all the way up on a couple of songs with good bass to them. Then begin making the gain and bass frequency adjustments.

I will be taking apart the fairing to make adjustments like this over the weekend on mine.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Keep in mind that you're not going to get great bass response out of any fairing or lower speakers on a bike. Sure you will get some, but nothing like what you would get in a car. If you are happy with the mids/lows and have some bass without distortion that's the norm. If you really want thumpin' bass you're gonna need to look at speakers in your bags.

Also remember all the issues people are having with flashes on the new bikes, you're system could be fine and it might be a flash/setting issue affecting sound. I'd like to buy a 15 or 16 but the audio crap alone will keep me from doing it until I know 100% that I can drive it home, pull out the stock crap and go aftermarket with no issues.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Prolly will sound like crap till ya get some 'P-O-W' er pumpin up the Volume levels...
Plain and Simple, if ya don't like what ya got after u install ur amp...Upgrade ur speakers.
Ya really aint gonna get a good sounding 6.5" speaker for no less than a couple hundred bucs. idk, aint checked prices , lately but they couldn't of changed , that much! , in the past couple years.
Audio and Video...ya get what ya pay for.imo

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Just purchased a brand new set of Pioneer 6.5" speakers for my 15 RGS. after install the highs and mids sound great but the low end (bass) is distorted and sounds like crap. any advise to correct this?

Additionally I have already purchased a Kenwood 4ch, 400 Watt amp (just awaiting on delivery) to install along with lower fairings with 5.25" Kicker speakers. Am I going to encounter this same issue again after that install?

I am a medically retired veteran and frankly cannot afford Harley labor rates to have them diagnose this untill I can get the VA to finally fix my disability percentages.

Any help anyone could offer with this would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.cyclesounds.com/dsp-line-level-shifter-magic-box-for-harley-radios-universal.html

This might have something to do with your sound. Harley is following in Apple foot steps and becoming were only their stuff works with their stuff. Lucky for us the aftermarket world is keeping up with them.

·
Super Moderator
13,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I agree with Big G, also be advised when you install the amp you'll probably have to have the radio "flashed". If you have Face Book, check with Chris Lowe on the Bagger Stereo page, he has a lot of information and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the input everyone. after further looking into this and talking with a friend in AZ that is a Harley Tech it looks like my issue right now is that the speakers I had installed are 4ohm speakers and the Harley HU is set for 2ohm. From what he has told me is that once I get my amp and have it installed I should be good. He also stated that I should be good without the need to get it flashed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have used Pioneer Amps and Speakers in the past and all my Headunits have always been Pioneer, The one in my Expedition is almost 7 yrs old and still sounds great.. There Speakers always sound better when there Amped. You should hear a big improvement when you add that Amp to them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 6.5" Pioneers and they're being fed with a Clarion receiver and Clarion amp. Before the amp they struggled, and past a certain volume I'd have distortion. Which I still have now at that volume number. 30 is where it gets distorting sounding but I believe that's from the receiver. Since I have the amp its crazy loud before that point and no reason to get beyond 28 anyway. It rocks and is clear. 80 MPH with ear plugs and I can hear it very well.

I have some bass especially if the stereo is playing and I'm off the bike in front of it like in the garage. That being said to me, there's no real bass you're going to get out of a small speaker. After having a car with a sub woofer, without a sub, you have no real bass. the small speaker just simply cannot produce those low frequencies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.