Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do you play music from a memory stick? I was going to use that head unit and found that it can't read "playlists" which means I have no control over the 5,000+ songs on my memory stick. It can play the songs, just not particular songs in any given playlist thereby making it useless to me. Other than that, it was a nice sounding head unit.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Do you play music from a memory stick? I was going to use that head unit and found that it can't read "playlists" which means I have no control over the 5,000+ songs on my memory stick. It can play the songs, just not particular songs in any given playlist thereby making it useless to me. Other than that, it was a nice sounding head unit.

I think the Sony will recognize playlists via Bluetooth. Just an option if you have a smartphone or BT enabled music player.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My memory stick (thumb drive) doesn't have quite the number of songs that you have (5000)! But, I have heard that problem before, regarding the playlists. My 300 or so songs will play just fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know about playing playlist, but my music is in folders, and I just go through the folders. Yes, it's a pain to go to song 113, but I have it on folder shuffle, and it does fine. Love mine, and it's been drenched quite a few times, and is still going.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't know about playing playlist, but my music is in folders, and I just go through the folders. Yes, it's a pain to go to song 113, but I have it on folder shuffle, and it does fine. Love mine, and it's been drenched quite a few times, and is still going.
The folders sound like it would be an okay option. I just didn't want to put the work into it, and some of my playlist have duplicate songs meaning extra storage needed. I've already spent the time (and believe me, it takes a lot of time!) to organize and build playlist which I've been using in my truck for a while now. Seemed easy enough to just copy that music stick to another one to use on the bike. I'll be sticking to the stock HU in my bike until a better radio is available.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In my car I have a Clarion. I intended to use the thumb drive option the most. I found out that the receiver couldn't handle more than 225 files per folder, so I had to break down my music files to several folders. I wanted it to read and shuffle from one large file. disappointing.
I've wondered what other manufacturers could do. So it looks like they're all like that. Someone told me it's because they were only 8 bit.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You all may have a reason for what you're doing that I'm missing, but if your head unit has a USB port, why are you using thumb drives which rely on the memory capacity of the head unit to do the work instead of USB music players or smartphones which have internal operating systems that will allow you the functionality you want?

·
Registered
593 Posts
You all may have a reason for what you're doing that I'm missing, but if your head unit has a USB port, why are you using thumb drives which rely on the memory capacity of the head unit to do the work instead of USB music players or smartphones which have internal operating systems that will allow you the functionality you want?
http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
Memory sticks are cheap, the space is plentiful, they don't need updated, they are less likely to be stolen, and you aren't totally pissed when it quits working or goes bad. Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head. Did I mention not dealing with the damn stupid updates that the "other" music players tend to want/need?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Memory sticks are cheap, the space is plentiful, they don't need updated, they are less likely to be stolen, and you aren't totally pissed when it quits working or goes bad. Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head. Did I mention not dealing with the damn stupid updates that the "other" music players tend to want/need?

I guess my point is that most people have compatible devices anyway. Unless you're using a flip phone, your phone will probably play music. And there are other alternatives such as CDs and DVDs that lots of aftermarket head units play. Then there's the updates. All head units that are worth a damn will require firmware and software updates. That's part of the problem with using USB sticks. The head units are beyond them software wise.....but to each his own. I was just curious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.