Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know everyone has there own opinions but just wanted to get a few on what shocks are the general consensus "better" to upgrade to for the rear of my 03 RG. Been leaning towards progressive 444 or 790 even though the 790's are pricey just looking for ideas.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well, I'm running the progressive 970's. If you're still on the original shocks on your 03 than I am pretty sure that anything will be a significant improvement. Do a search and you'll find plenty of people who like their 444's a lot. I WOULD recommend doing the monotubes in the front as well if at all possible as the combo of new front and rear on my 06 gave a stunning improvement. Really night and day from stock.

The 412's are only like $270 ( and plenty of riders love them) and if you were asking my opinion I'd get the 412's for $270 AND the front monotubes for $350 before I'd spend $550 - $900 for just the higher end rear only 444's or 970's.

Also, when I was shopping around, I found the best prices to be (at the time) on cycleplicity.com so make sure you price there as well.
Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm running the progressive 970's. If you're still on the original shocks on your 03 than I am pretty sure that anything will be a significant improvement. Do a search and you'll find plenty of people who like their 444's a lot. I WOULD recommend doing the monotubes in the front as well if at all possible as the combo of new front and rear on my 06 gave a stunning improvement. Really night and day from stock.

The 412's are only like $270 ( and plenty of riders love them) and if you were asking my opinion I'd get the 412's for $270 AND the front monotubes for $350 before I'd spend $550 - $900 for just the higher end rear only 444's or 970's.

Also, when I was shopping around, I found the best prices to be (at the time) on cycleplicity.com so make sure you price there as well.
Good luck!
I appreciate the info and do intend to do the front monotubes as well just was looking for some opinions as to what others have found to be good for them as well as the added info on better prices is always a plus. The 970's look like really nice upgrades just not sure want to spend that much if can get comparable satisfaction from some of the lower priced rears. i tried 412's on my old Honda Shadow but was not impressed with them that is why looking at other options

·
Registered
590 Posts
do your home work

Well then you should buy Ohlins,JRI or the super shox for the same $
Do your home work and you will do it once.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ride solo 95% of the time , weigh 180 lbs. I have the 444's and really like the improvement they made, I've also had the 412's on my 93 flhs and the 444's with FST are a better shock , for the money they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well then you should buy Ohlins,JRI or the super shox for the same $
Do your home work and you will do it once.
The supershox are in the $650 range...you should def consider those and they offer a 30 day money back guarantee so if you don't love em send em back.

Wow, the 444's are only $460 on Amazon. Good reviews too.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-444-4020B-Black-Riders/dp/B007GRGWDY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487527710&sr=1-1&keywords=444-4020B

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The Ohlin's are the only way to go. You can get comparable to Super Shox but better for the same price. Once you've ridden on Ohlin's, you will never ride anything else. Pm me for more info if you need it.
You can get Ohlins for under $700?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The Ohlin's are the only way to go. You can get comparable to Super Shox but better for the same price. Once you've ridden on Ohlin's, you will never ride anything else. Pm me for more info if you need it.
I'm sure they are great but definitely not the only way to go, supershox for $600 work great for me, my brother and several friends. Lifetime warranty, if you don't like them send them back no questions asked & made in the ?? USA ??

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm sure they are great but definitely not the only way to go, supershox for $600 work great for me, my brother and several friends. Lifetime warranty, if you don't like them send them back no questions asked & made in the USA

No you are right Nordic, not the only way to go. But there is a reason that every racing series uses Ohlin's suspensions even Honda that owns Showa. Supershox are good shocks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Smarty can you fill us all in on the ohlins fork cartridges?
I know what I read from Ohlins but I was hoping for personal experience
And do you do the installation if one were to pull forks and send them to you?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Smarty can you fill us all in on the ohlins fork cartridges?
I know what I read from Ohlins but I was hoping for personal experience
And do you do the installation if one were to pull forks and send them to you?
Dozer, yes we can do the the cartridge change out if you send them to us. Also, I can tutor you by phone and go over the process. With basic mechanical knowledge I can guide you thru and the use of the tools.
On personal experience, I was searching for a better overall suspension for my Roadglide. I raced motocross until I was in my 30's and understood how big a part suspension played into having a fast well handling bike. It's all about keeping the tires on the pavement (dirt in motocross). I had used just about every brand imaginable. That led me to the V-twin expo and the Ohlin's company. Once I talked to them, I knew they should be the suspension I was looking for. IN the process we became the Texas dealer for them and have never looked back. There is a sweeping corner on the way to our shop from my house on a Farm to Market road. Before the Ohlin's, the best I could take that corner was about 60mph (a 35mph sweeper) because of the rear end geometry trying to correct the line. Once I put the Ohlin's HD-772's on the back and the FC-102's on the front without even realizing it I was now doing that corner at 70 mph with no geometry correction at all. A marked difference in handling and when the rear is set right, the bumps disappear and the bottoming out is non existent. Anytime you want to talk, pm me for my phone number and I will be happy to guide you the direction you desire.
Thanks for the interest
Carol Burks

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I encourage all to get a hold of Smarty before making a Susp Decision - It pays to shop around and talk to many and this cat knows what he is doing - He will never be your lowest cost provider and the O's may not be in the cards for everyone but the wealth of knowledge this old bastard posses is worth your time

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I used to run Progressive shocks on the rear pf my 2013 and it as an improvement over the stock air shocks. But after checking out Terry Cable shocks and talking to him at Street Vibrations a year ago, I bought a set of his shocks. He mounted them and set the sag,

I couldn't be happier.

Good luck in doing your research.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ohlins.

I'm not made of money, so I'm upgrading in steps. I just had Screamin' Eagle fork oil put in the fronts, and I'm going to Ohlins on the rear. Then, maybe next spring, Ohlins for the front.

Spread out the pain a little bit.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, in my mind I'm searching for shocks replace. My RG is 2015 and the dealer suggest to install Ohlins or 2017 stock as well?
my question is, somebody have 2017 new model and see a big difference from the previous stock shocks to validate the idea of the dealer?

Is this way comfortable?

Luigi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dozer, yes we can do the the cartridge change out if you send them to us. Also, I can tutor you by phone and go over the process. With basic mechanical knowledge I can guide you thru and the use of the tools.
On personal experience, I was searching for a better overall suspension for my Roadglide. I raced motocross until I was in my 30's and understood how big a part suspension played into having a fast well handling bike. It's all about keeping the tires on the pavement (dirt in motocross). I had used just about every brand imaginable. That led me to the V-twin expo and the Ohlin's company. Once I talked to them, I knew they should be the suspension I was looking for. IN the process we became the Texas dealer for them and have never looked back. There is a sweeping corner on the way to our shop from my house on a Farm to Market road. Before the Ohlin's, the best I could take that corner was about 60mph (a 35mph sweeper) because of the rear end geometry trying to correct the line. Once I put the Ohlin's HD-772's on the back and the FC-102's on the front without even realizing it I was now doing that corner at 70 mph with no geometry correction at all. A marked difference in handling and when the rear is set right, the bumps disappear and the bottoming out is non existent. Anytime you want to talk, pm me for my phone number and I will be happy to guide you the direction you desire.
Thanks for the interest
Carol Burks
I will be getting with you in the somewhat near future to see what we can come up with for my 03. Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Legends Axeo's front Air A in the rear. My buddy has O's and I like my ride better, but of course I have a 180 front end so i'm naturally going to ride better anyways ;-) I don't think you can go wrong with either.. but i'm not doing 70mph around corners either

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Legends Axeo's front Air A in the rear. My buddy has O's and I like my ride better, but of course I have a 180 front end so i'm naturally going to ride better anyways ;-) I don't think you can go wrong with either.. but i'm not doing 70mph around corners either
Hey Hudson, nothing wrong with your setup at all. Glad you are happy. Every setup is so dependent on the fine tuning, springs, weight, etc. to get a ride that is spectacular. Once you achieve that success, you will expect it on every bike you on. Alway love hearing good outcomes of engine builds, suspension, paint, etc. All of them really take planning and execution. Now lets hit the road!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts