Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Road Glide Ultra
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had some Michelin commander 3s installed, bike shop told me to take it easy because new tires are slippery. Never heard that before. Didn't even think to ask for how long.

Folk tale or true?

If true, how long do I pussyfoot around?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've alternated between hearing that tail, and telling that tail since the early 80's (when being the new kid in the shop stuck me with all the tire changes) ... And I'm inclined to believe it's true. One thing to consider is that with any typical tire change (even just same/same old to new), the cornering profile and traction limits will change, so it's a good idea to approach them slowly to find out exactily where they are this time...(easier on the paint)...especially if you like to play on those edges (I do).

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
621 Posts
True

if any possible condition could be slick, it will be till you “scrub em in”.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
633 Posts
Thanks for reinforcing why 7 Harleys later and 4 sets of tires I have never used any tire but
OEM Dunlops.Same dealer has done the installs and I never bought a bike from him.NEVER were me or my wife given any riding instructions at purchase.I have had Michelin’s on my last to cars. These were 60k mi rated tires . 2015 family trip heading home stopped to wash car drivers rear side wall was delaminated you could see the inner belts.40,000 on the OD.Went to the dealer they said ” Yea Michelin’s are not the best.” Put on Hancooks
New 2018 current car same thing Michelin’s all around.27000 miles tires were gone. replaced
with Good Years .Different vehicles same manufacturer. Never a Michelin.

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Like Mo said, 100 miles is the typical magic number to break in new motorcycle tires. After that, go ape shit!.
@Tire_Fryer, I really hope you didn't get a defective set of MC3's and they work out for you.

·
Administrator
11,819 Posts
I put a C3 on the front the night before our Ky trip a couple years ago and the first four hundred were slabbing , then the next day when we did the twisties , I was all over the place ..

JtB

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I put a C3 on the front the night before our Ky trip a couple years ago and the first four hundred were slabbing , then the next day when we did the twisties , I was all over the place ..

JtB
My last tires, AEs, were like that as well. The H50 now are great.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'11 Road Glide Ultra
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll take it easy for at least 100 miles which is about half a normal ride.

I seem to have got a good pair of the Michelins. With tires being scarce, I thought I was lucky getting some, but in hindsight probably should have gone with a different brand. My BMW R1200 has Michelins and I love those tires, but this is a different ball game.

This is my first Harley and I'm learning.

Rebuilding my leaky air shocks today. A full suspension upgrade is on the horizon now that I have new tires and brakes.

Funny thing is I didn't put a dime into my BMW, and I'm already past $1k in just a few weeks on the RG. What did I do!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Easy!

Harleys you personalize and want to make it better and unique.

You just ride the other brands...

Oh how I wish that were true. I average about $4k in upgrades on many of my bikes. Some just don't have upgrades available with the exception of pipes, suspension, heated grips, running lights, additional run/turn/brake lights, seat, bars, shields, protection, and phone or GPS mounts.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Just had some Michelin commander 3s installed, bike shop told me to take it easy because new tires are slippery. Never heard that before. Didn't even think to ask for how long.

Folk tale or true?

True, but really only applies to those who are scraping boards and pegs. As well as those who accelerate hard at the apex.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Oh how I wish that were true. I average about $4k in upgrades on many of my bikes. Some just don't have upgrades available with the exception of pipes, suspension, heated grips, running lights, additional run/turn/brake lights, seat, bars, shields, protection, and phone or GPS mounts.
Non Harleys? In a harley that can be expected.

But on another brand?!

·
Registered
648 Posts
50 miles or 5 mins if you let me take her out. Be safe

·
Super Moderator
4,375 Posts

Folk tale or true?

This is very true with motorcycle tires. Be very careful especially when leaving a parking lot and making a turn after installation. It’s also important to pump your brakes prior to that ride. Some shops will install and not do a test ride. As mentioned it won’t take long to get it fit to rip.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts