Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just had some Michelin commander 3s installed, bike shop told me to take it easy because new tires are slippery. Never heard that before. Didn't even think to ask for how long.

Folk tale or true?

If true, how long do I pussyfoot around?
True that. There is a mold release agent used in the manufacturing process. Do you watch any kind of motor racing? The term scrubbing in a set of sticker tires applies. New motorcycle tires need to be ridden normally (easy) until the shine goes away and there is a dull "scrubbed in" appearance. Just don't do any canyon carving or fast cornering at greater lean angles for 50 or so miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had some Michelin commander 3s installed, bike shop told me to take it easy because new tires are slippery. Never heard that before. Didn't even think to ask for how long.

Folk tale or true?

If true, how long do I pussyfoot around?
I tested motorcycle tires for Michelin with my personal road glide..2011 ultra ..be careful with them ..they do not do dry, wet,dry roads well .after a light rain shower when it would be dry under the trees and wet everywhere else ,they are dangerously slick .please be careful on the curves in these conditions ....all wet they are fine ,,all dry they are fine ...but will scare the crap out of you on the mix road conditions....Dennis in. s.c.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Depends on the brand. I just returned from 2200 mile journey to Albuquerque, for Balloonfest. My CruiseTecs installed 100 miles before the trip are more slippery now than when I picked the bike up. They are going back!

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,876 Posts
Scuff em up at low speed leans, then get it...always love new tires...its a subliminal feeling but the grip is better, old tires are hard riding...IMO...why get new tires and ride like grandma on sunday?

·
Registered
'11 Road Glide Ultra
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have about 300 miles on the MC3's now. I got lucky, no vibrations or anything weird, they seem fine. I noticed they are good over tar snakes, and they are quiet. Nothing amazing, just regular tires.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Scuff em up at low speed leans, then get it...always love new tires...its a subliminal feeling but the grip is better, old tires are hard riding...IMO...why get new tires and ride like grandma on sunday?
Because tires wear and change slowly we tend to not notice how much they affect the ride until we put a fresh pair on. Sure wish I would have changed mine before I went to the Smoky Mountains this summer instead of after.

·
Registered
918 Posts
‘Bout 140 miles on the new back tire. Not slippery at all!

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado.

·
Registered
'11 Road Glide Ultra
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hopefully that is a studded tire. :p

Seriously looks cold though!

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,876 Posts
‘Bout 140 miles on the new back tire. Not slippery at all!

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado.
Ran into that one January, not sure what the F we were thinking, the old 666 highway, now 191...tail of the dragon on roids...it was nice in globe and through salt river canyon, not bad in show low...then it got cool, then this, on curves, then fog, then rain, then cold then warm, then...ended up staying a night in safford, man it was one crazy whim ride, was only supposed to go to globe for breakfast...

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,139 Posts
It's the mold release that makes tire shiney just scuff em in for a little while, 50 -70 miles you should be good

Glenn
Bingo! It's the mold release that makes the new tires look shiny. It only takes a few miles of riding to scuff that off.

Reactions: Oclaf
21 - 31 of 31 Posts