Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I just upgraded from a 2008 FLTR Anniversary to a beautiful 2017 FLTRU. I got a great deal on it from an off-brand dealer. The older fella that bought it just couldn't handle the big bike and traded it in on a 3 wheeler. His loss, my gain.

The bike had a little over 5K on it when I got it, and i've probably put on close to 800 or so before some family stuff took some weekends and now the cold weather is here. I've been doing some online research and I hear horror stories about oil sumping and tranny fluid transfer into the primary. Unfortunately all the old threads I'm finding are all from know it alls when the M8 came out, and I can't seem to find a good description of what is actually going on and how to find out if I have an issue.

Here's what I can tell:
Oil sumping, the bike will bog down like crazy, smoke start pouring out. At the first hint that you are having a problem, shut it down or you risk permanent damage. Doesn't seem to be a reliable way to tell if you are going to get it before you get it. I see guys talking about a draining from the crank position sensor and if you have more than x ounces, you have a problem. But damn if I can't find a post or a pic of where the damn crank position sensor is.

Tranny fluid transfer doesn't seem like as big an issue. I guess this is just check the tranny and primary fluid levels. If you have transfer, there is a vent kit to install that is supposed to stop it. Or a thicker clutch pushrod sometimes fixes it.

How prevalent are these really? Some of the threads look likes its only CVO bikes that are ridden hard. One guy's thread, he regularly cruised in 4th gear at 80. Really? That's a torture test, not regular cruising, no wonder he blew it up.

I'll post pics when I get to my other computer.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Congrats! One common dominator I have read on summing is stage 4 kits. Rarely if any have I heard of stock or stage 1 slumping issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man ur cps sensor is at the bottom of motor case right in the middle. 1/4 x 20 bolt holds it in if u must drain the case. Just keep an eye on the motor oil level instead of getting on the ground an messin with stuff that’s really unnecessary. I’m a master tech 30 years. If it was me I’d quit worrying about sh...stuff and just ride it. Everyone on here worries too much about what may happen....need to ride it get off this forum. If something does happen that’s what warranty is for. Get the trans vent kit, have someone put it on and go riding ??

·
Registered
327 Posts
I’m exactly where you are, mentally. Could’ve written the same post as you (except I haven’t bought yet). Congrats on the new ride. Let’s see those pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Congratulations on the new Ultra. I bought a 2018 Ultra in september of 18 and love mine. I've got almost 24,000 miles on it and so far I have not had either of the issues you mentioned, hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, but I am keeping my 08 Anniversary for many more years to come - can't help you with the M8 sumping questions.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Congrats! One common dominator I have read on summing is stage 4 kits. Rarely if any have I heard of stock or stage 1 slumping issues.
Now you've heard of one. I went through 3 stock 107s, the last one Harley replaced the bike. The OPs symptoms are classic sumping. Trust me, I know.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Welcome, enjoy the ride. The issues you listed are real easy to check for your se4lf. You will know if it effects you or not.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
congrats on the new ultra

·
Registered
327 Posts
Now you've heard of one. I went through 3 stock 107s, the last one Harley replaced the bike. The OPs symptoms are classic sumping. Trust me, I know.

What did I miss? I didn’t see the OP list any symptoms. He was talking about doing research, so he would be able to identify anything similar in his. I read back through the whole thread, did he post symptoms regarding his bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
So if you want to know if its sumping, level the scooter up with a jack (not leaning on the side stand), and pull the crank sensor. Measure the oil that comes out. Less than 6oz is cool. More than 10 oz's and you have an issue. In between its like 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of the other. Or a punt. Be sure to ride the scooter and warm it up before pulling the sensor.

And there is a little bootleg trick. If you run the scooter out on the road and shut it right off as you come to a stop, then after a minute or so check the oil. Record what ever it is. Then restart the scooter and let it idle for a 3 or 4 minutes. Shut it off and after a minute recheck the oil again. If it gained oil, it is sumping. Might not be bad sumping, but it is doing it.

The fix is another oil pump. S&S and Feuling both sell improved pumps. And the MoCo has a new and improved pump, fix five or six for them.

Feuling sucks more oil out to fix the issue. Basically bruit force.

S&S uses a separate pump section to suck the oil out of the crank case and cam chest, and also has increased capacity. Basically bruit force mixed with finesse.

The MoCo's newest pump is a bruit force approach. In the past they used the pinch the penny approach.

As for the transfer of trans oil into the primary, there is a little vent kit that fixes the issue. A little molded hose that you install in a hole you drill into the primary.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
What did I miss? I didn’t see the OP list any symptoms. He was talking about doing research, so he would be able to identify anything similar in his. I read back through the whole thread, did he post symptoms regarding his bike?
You're correct, I misread.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You're correct, I misread.
Ha ha. No worries. I guess I'm scrutinizing these posts to find people reporting NO problems. But that's silly. People only comment problems. If you have no problems, there's really nothing to say! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Hey man ur cps sensor is at the bottom of motor case right in the middle. 1/4 x 20 bolt holds it in if u must drain the case. Just keep an eye on the motor oil level instead of getting on the ground an messin with stuff that’s really unnecessary. I’m a master tech 30 years. If it was me I’d quit worrying about sh...stuff and just ride it. Everyone on here worries too much about what may happen....need to ride it get off this forum. If something does happen that’s what warranty is for. Get the trans vent kit, have someone put it on and go riding ??
Incredible first post. We definitely look forward to your input on the forum. Welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new scoot. I also have a 19 road glide ultra. I was worried about sumping when i first got her but 7k of hard miles no issues. I know this doesn't really help but i wanted to let you know not everyone is having problems with the early m8s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the new bike right after I picked it up. So far I'm really happy with the purchase. I'll have to order some oil and filter from JP cycles to give it an oil change. I'll look for the vent kit and order fluid for the primary and trans too. I'll try and measure how much oil comes out of the CPS sensor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts