Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanic says it was mechanical failure of the lifter. Getting new cams, cam bearings, lifters, oil pump & cam plate due to this bad boy shearing. Cylinder Tool accessory Hardware accessory Pipe

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That it does, luckily I bought a two yr $0 deductible warranty from Kutter HD up in Wisconsin, only $798.

Repair costs are right around $1300 an completely covered, an I'm in FL. Should have her back by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd be checking the lifter bore VERY closely. I'd also make sure that they cut open the filter and drop the oil pan and look for shavings. Based on the looks of that lifter you have some metal in there somewhere.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Well, that warranty has already paid for itself. Let us know how that transaction with the new company went. I stuck with the MoCo one due to better coverage with hotels and towing. We take 3-4 trips a year on ours and I wasn't taking any chances.

BTW, what year and how many miles are on that bike? My '11 I traded with 36k miles was on the verge of losing a lifter. Service manager told me they would have been good for another 10k miles but we had them changed under the ESP right before I traded it in.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
'Had a front intake lifter that looked like that, took out the whole motor:eek:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've got 20k on mine, do I need to be worried or do I have some time yet??

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've got 20k on mine, do I need to be worried or do I have some time yet??
The lifter on my '09 SERG blew at 20,500mi. The bike was maintained with an open checkbook, not beat on, 37 year Harley owner (at the time).

The high valve spring pressures on the 110s are hard on lifters...

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
29,000 when I bought it a little over 2 months ago. Was suppose to be my spare bike, an being stock I figured more reliable than my 08 RG with the 107 big bore and stage 4 which was built with an open checkbook.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The lifter on my '09 SERG blew at 20,500mi. The bike was maintained with an open checkbook, not beat on, 37 year Harley owner (at the time).

The high valve spring pressures on the 110s are hard on lifters...
I've got a buddy with 50,000 miles on a 2007 cvo road king with no engine issues at all...... guess they don't make em like they used to????

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well went & picked it up today and it is running great, found out we ended up putting in S&S lifters instead of SE lifters. Fine by me. Best part the extended warranty I got thru Kutter HD up in WI took care of everything & $0 deductable. I live in FL

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've got a buddy with 50,000 miles on a 2007 cvo road king with no engine issues at all...... guess they don't make em like they used to????
The '07 & '08 CVOs had more than their share of problems and recalls.

Some have more luck than others...

direwolf, glad to see you back on the road!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, at least I finally get to ride this one now. Have made 2 payments and paid insurance since I bought it. Put my 08 RG in the shop now to figure out where all the oil is coming from, will be nice to have both back in the garage in s few weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you don't mind me asking did a harley dealer fix or independent fix your bike. Did you have to call cornerstone or did the repair shop? Just purchased one for my wife's streetglide hope i don't have to use it but you know how that goes sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used an independent shop only because I am not a fan of the local HD shop here. I gave him my warranty card which he took s copy of, then once he found the problem he called Cornerstone an they ok'd the job which ran around $1300. They never even sent a Rep out to check out the repair. I'm pleased with the warranty company.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,068 Posts
Should I be worried about my engine?

I have the 2012 Ultra which came stock with the 103", but I had the dealer install the 110" big bore kit when I bought the bike. I've got 40K+ miles on the bike now and have had no real trouble with it.

I have the SE110 heads, SE255 cams, standard big bore stuff.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Should I be worried about my engine?

I have the 2012 Ultra which came stock with the 103", but I had the dealer install the 110" big bore kit when I bought the bike. I've got 40K+ miles on the bike now and have had no real trouble with it.

I have the SE110 heads, SE255 cams, standard big bore stuff.

No you shouldn't. Ride the hell out of it and if something is going to happen it will happen. Worrying about it is not going to do you any good.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just do the routine maintenance and enjoy it. Like RGKen said, worrying about isn't going to do you any good. As long as you're not beating the crap out of it you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts