Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I ordered a new windshield memphisshades 6.5 really like the quality and look
I think those shields look great on the Road Glides. It's the only shield I'd consider after Freedom.

I'm also curious about the wind deflection. How tall are you, what's your inseam?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I run that shield on my turd and am 5'11 with a 33 inseam seated atop a '15 SG CVO Seat and the wind gently brushes my forehead - I am perfect with it as I am on a bike after all and am not looking for a windless pocket to ride in - I love mine and have had the same one on 3 RGs so far

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I run that shield on my turd and am 5'11 with a 33 inseam seated atop a '15 SG CVO Seat and the wind gently brushes my forehead - I am perfect with it as I am on a bike after all and am not looking for a windless pocket to ride in - I love mine and have had the same one on 3 RGs so far
Hey Eddie, my 6.5" in solid black came in the day before I left for Denver. I was excited so I threw it on the bike and off we went on our 1,800 mile round trip trek. All I can say is that I also love mine. Looks great on the bike and the protection is adequate considering the trade offs we all have to make when deciding on windshield height. Glad I listened to your advice :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is no such thing as a windless pocket behind any fairing or windshield. Their are only trade offs. Recurve is not aerodynamic. They can lift air above your head at close range but not the entire length and width of your bike or you. Every rider and seat position is variable. Windshields are not. Recurves cause updraft where as my stock RGS shield does not. My 16" pushes air 3-4 inches above my head but i have to deal with head slap, slapping helmet noise, updraft etc, etc. My stock windshield lets air flow smoothly into my helmet facehield with more noise eliminated almost entirely with a good FF helmet and ear plugs. I'm tall. Anybody shorter than 6' would find the stocker perfect especially with lower seats unlike my Hammock. In the colder riding season i put up with he annoyance of my taller recurve shields to stay warmer.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
There is no such thing as a windless pocket behind any fairing or windshield. Their are only trade offs. Recurve is not aerodynamic. They can lift air above your head at close range but not the entire length and width of your bike or you. Every rider and seat position is variable. Windshields are not. Recurves cause updraft where as my stock RGS shield does not. My 16" pushes air 3-4 inches above my head but i have to deal with head slap, slapping helmet noise, updraft etc, etc. My stock windshield lets air flow smoothly into my helmet facehield with more noise eliminated almost entirely with a good FF helmet and ear plugs. I'm tall. Anybody shorter than 6' would find the stocker perfect especially with lower seats unlike my Hammock. In the colder riding season i put up with he annoyance of my taller recurve shields to stay warmer.
Okay.......not sure about the stocker and 6 foot comment but I can dig your insight.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Glad you like it my man.......now change your sig pic to that bad ass new bike of yours

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Glad you like it my man.......now change your sig pic to that bad ass new bike of yours
Will do. I need to get a couple of decent shots now that the MS shield is on.

Question............

Did the aggressive recurve on the MS shield have a negative impact on your fuel mileage at all?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Did the aggressive recurve on the MS shield have a negative impact on your fuel mileage at all?
Not that I am aware of but I never really check that shit anyways - I can say this, last year I rode to SW with a '14 SG with a Stage 1 and my Stocker M8 with the MS on it and when he was ready to fill up, I was still above an 8th of a tank...just shy of the light coming on - I also get better MPG than my buddies who are on M8 Ultras......but I am sure there are many variances that factor in there

·
Registered
56 Posts
I the the MS 6.5” and I’m 6-1. If I had a do over, I’d order one an inch or two taller to reduce the wind a little more. Great quality shield.
Phil
Edit: I should add that the only time I’d like the wind r3duced is running down the interstate at 70+. Otherwise it works fine for me.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Looks great bigmatt!

I bought the 6.5 MS windshield last year when I bought my m8. I bought it because SE spoke highly about it and I liked the look. Now after having it for a year and putting some miles on it, I like the function of it even more. 6.5 dark smoke, very thick well made piece. I am 5'9 , 32 " inseam and a Corbin close seat, wind goes around me pretty good and I can hear the stereo well.

It gets a little windier on the super slab, thats ok 99% of my riding is back roading.

A little wind is ok, after all it is a motorcycle :grin:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Memphis Shades

Well, right now I'm pissed at MS and their customer service and to be honest just don't get it. Back in the day they were known for their quality and customer service and used their shields on several metric bikes and if you needed a part or something they would just send it no questions or even charge. Now, I can't get them to even return an email regarding this shield and sizing! I like the look of this shield and am interested but want to know how they are referencing their sizes, but notta, nothing from them after 3 emails. I suppose I'll take the forums recommendations but feel the 6.5 would be short since I like slabbin to riding destinations, merely 5'9" but feel the 8.5" would be better. We'll ride through heavy rain as long as the wind hasn't picked up and no lightning...sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Well, right now I'm pissed at MS and their customer service and to be honest just don't get it. Back in the day they were known for their quality and customer service and used their shields on several metric bikes and if you needed a part or something they would just send it no questions or even charge. Now, I can't get them to even return an email regarding this shield and sizing! I like the look of this shield and am interested but want to know how they are referencing their sizes, but notta, nothing from them after 3 emails. I suppose I'll take the forums recommendations but feel the 6.5 would be short since I like slabbin to riding destinations, merely 5'9" but feel the 8.5" would be better. We'll ride through heavy rain as long as the wind hasn't picked up and no lightning...sorry for the rant...
The 6.5 would more than likely be a "see over" with the 8.5 being a "see through"

Go onto Revzilla and open up a Chat with a Tech and ask them your questions - Their guys are pretty good and if they don't know the answer, they'll get it - The owners of Revzilla are all about Cust Svc so put them to the test - As an FYI, I have ordered thousands off that site and they have never let me down

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Another fan here. And I completely agree with Steady Eddie, "Gently Brushes my forehead". I'm 5'10". I use mine around town and trips to the mountains. For touring I use a Freedom Shields 13" touring model.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts